Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

PostNouveau posted:

It's authorial fiat on the level of, like, a kid drawing a tank that has lasers and can fly.

That was my take on it too. I was annoyed with this in the same way I was annoyed with The West Wing. It's contrived as hell but doesn't acknowledge it. It's like someone dressed up Doctor Who as Apollo 13 for Halloween.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

Maybe they should have tried gatekeeping the aliens.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

Hollismason posted:

They wanted the coolest most bad rear end way you could destroy something but still leave the pieces of it survivable so thats why they julianed the boat.

They knew it was carrying a shipment of hard-boiled eggs.
Also I lol'd when the wreckage caught fire. Great job not endangering the hard drive.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

Tarnop posted:

I always kind of assumed that this worked in a similar way to making Saul a Wallfacer. If the aliens want Auggie dead then people making plans against the aliens will be biased towards plans that use tech she's working on because it must be dangerous to the aliens' plans, because they want her dead

The aliens have limited prescience because they float in a cloud of psychoactive drugs. They detected a vertex around Paul Saul, but didn't know exactly why.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

discoukulele posted:

I rewatched the last couple of episodes with some friends, and one of them threw out a perfectly-timed tidbit about how bananas aren't actually that healthy for chimps right before the barf.

The scientists did extensive research on chimp physiology consisting of watching old Abbot and Costello movies.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

discoukulele posted:

I was worried they would dumb it down, but they didn't really dumb anything down as much as present things in a way where you can go "oh, obviously these people know what they're talking about" without pages and pages of scientific exposition.

Without the scientific exposition, the only difference in the presentation between someone who "knows what they're talking about" and someone who is "dumber than a sack of hammers" is whether or not the author decided that their plan actually works.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

Zero VGS posted:

Netflix cancels all great shows after Season 2, it's the law.

There were a lot more than three seasons, but Netflix developed a weapon to collapse them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

Groovelord Neato posted:

I especially like the reveal from the canonized fan fiction that they are the size of a grain of rice.

Their entire civilization fits in a 1-bedroom apartment, but they refuse to share earth because they don't like filthy liars.