Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
3BP Yayyy!!!

For those who haven't read the books, try to go into this one blind. I know that the books were a better experience with minimal story knowledge, and the first book in particular is written as something of a mystery.

That also includes avoiding the Hollywood Reporter article where they spoil major reveals in the first book. This is one case where Netflix's release structure is for the best, because if this were released weekly the whole thing would be spoiled for everyone by episode 3.

Actually, before we proceed with discussion, are the aliums a spoiler? I mean, they form a core part of the mystery so I'd think they are, but they're so so obvious and it seems that everyone knows about them before reading the books. Netflix's marketing is committed to the borderline impossible task of hiding that it's an alien invasion story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

counterfeitsaint posted:

So unbookmark the thread immediately is what you're saying? I can count the number of TV IV book adaptation threads that aren't full of goons posting nudge-nudge wink-wink spoilers on no hands. This one made it 24 hours. See you guys in a few months.

I mean, I don't know what you're expecting here. There's nothing else to discuss really, it isn't out yet.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

Some of the score was already released, you can hear it on https://donotanswer.co.

It sounds pretty drat great so I'm not surprised it's Djawadi :D

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

The reviews are spotty to say the least. I'm not hopeful for the show because the books are no ASOIAF, but I also don't understand why critics are so mad about adaptational changes because... the books are no ASOIAF. Particularly the first one which is dramatically worse than the other two, so it's unfortunate they have to adapt it first.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

They flubbed and fumbled the wallfacer sequence so bad.

Where is Saul's panic? Where is his agency? I remember in the book he loudly rejects the position in front of the entire Council and storms out to throngs of reporters before being shot. Here he's mildly shocked and has a heart-to-heart with the Secretary General. He's not freaking out? He's not terrified? When he leaves without taking security seriously it's an awkward mistake, rather than him pushing Clarence out of the way in fury and panic.

There's not even a crowd or anything to show that he's been ushered into a position of insane and unprecedented power, it's like his life hasn't been affected at all. Nobody in the world seems to care that he now has the budget of a small country at his disposal. Such a great moment in the book completely missed. Then, they have Clarence smile stupidly at Saul to completely ruin the interesting moment Saul realises he can't give up the position of Wallfacer because everyone will think it's part of his plan. Why would Clarence do a big dumb grin for no reason.

Also, the changes to the Wallfacer lineup concern me. In the books there's three of them, and I don't know which one has been cut (but I very much suspect it's a really interesting one I was looking forward to seeing). Not a huge deal but having one of the Wallfacers be a woman dilutes the critique of the 'Great Man' theory of history. The world's reflexive misogyny served as an effective warning sign for the Wallfacer plan.

Updog Scully fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 23, 2024

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

The showrunnerd missed a few tricks that were in the books and could have been included easily: one I noticed was that, in the books, they justify using the nanowire on the boat because even if they slice the hard drive up, the incision would be so small and precise that they could literally just put the two sides back together and it would work perfectly. It would have been a cool moment if the drive was indeed sliced up but Clarence just pushes them together and it still works. It would also give him a much-needed badass moment.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

arrowdust posted:

Finished the first season. Enthralling stuff.

Quick question (full season spoilers) I'm wondering how the Staircase Project people knew which direction to shoot their space capsule in?

I know that this has already been answered but there's another, more simple answer: they know which star system the aliens are coming from, so they know shooting it towards the star system will allow them to intercept it.

It is interesting that Mike Evans and Ye Winjie are depicted as being betrayed by the aliens. In the book they're totally on board with the extinction of humanity, whereas in the show they seem betrayed when the aliens change their goals to destruction of the human race. Makes for quite a fun scene when Mike Evans realizes how badly he's hosed up by telling them about lying.

Updog Scully fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

Tarnop posted:

Yeah this is a good point and it's weird that they skipped over this in the show. IIRC it's that there's only one trinary system at the exact distance implied by the delay between the broadcast off the sun and the "don't respond" message. Seems like something that could have been part of the Staircase proposal scene, it's not like the last three episodes are pushed for time

BOOK TRILOGY SPOILER: they probably want to reveal that they come from Alpha Centauri, the closest star system to our own, to foreshadow the dark forest reveal i.e. "isn't it weird that the aliens just happen to live in the closest star system to our own?"