Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
On ep 6 but I really enjoy this show as a book fan, despite being extremely ready to hate it. I don't think I like it because I lowered my expectations, though. The changes made all make sense, even if you miss out on some fun flavor that's in the books. Most of the time they improve the story or flow of story, at least for this format.

Still feels like breakneck speed compared to the books, which tells you how awful it would be if they tried to jam this all into even a 3 hour movie.

Steve Yun posted:

Finished 5

Pacing continues to be a pebble in my shoe watching this show

They don’t take enough time to explain why the 3 body problem is so difficult. Clearly explaining a concept this central to the show helps audiences feel like they have a grasp on what’s going on and not feel like they’re getting buried in Star Trek mumbo jumbo

They don’t clearly explain why they have to use nanowires and why they can’t use conventional tactics against the judgement day

Re: your second thing

They explain the problems with other methods, at least, they just cut away from Ding before he lays out his evil plan. IIRC in the book the talk through the mechanics, spacing, possible faults, etc. after deciding on the nanowire, which is cool, and then the actual event is pretty quick and just like "welp we're pretty sure it worked". In this they save the details beforehand to maximize the shock, show everything, and it's extremely horrifying as it should be.

I think this is the right way to go for the show. Readers get the extra detail and appreciate it more, non-readers get the spectacle and realize how awful it is.

For the first thing, I dunno. I think some people who aren't familiar with the theory might just take the "it's known to be impossible" at face value and run with it just fine. But a little visualization might help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I just hope to one day see a TV episode end with a dramatic music swell and fade out of someone staring at a wall, and it works