Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Wow this show sucked, deep dicked again by D and D. The Minecraft version seems legit great though.

What's with all the plotholes?

Aliens can't read minds, but the VR headsets can read/write brain signals? Why didn't they use the VR headsets to relay full brain scans of the users to the Sophons?

How were the VR headsets made, can the Sophons fabricate poo poo or did they relay instructions for like a really good 3D printer to the Judgement Day? The rest of the tech on the ship was sus Dell PowerEdge.

Aliens can't read minds, but they can create timers in people's field of vision? So what, they can get as close as the optic nerve and not the brain?

Aliens can't lie and find it immoral to lie, but they are fine with causing mass hallucinations and giving untrue science results? They were loving with people before they even found out about the Red Riding Hood thing. Also how could there be a pacifist alien writing to Earth if it's intent is always broadcast to the rest of them?

The Sophons were sent to Earth at "nearly light speed" according to the show, so they fired them off what, a couple years after first contact? Because it should have taken them 40 years minimum to arrive at full light speed since the fleet is 10% light speed.

Not a question but having a satellite dish that huge on an oil tanker would suck rear end. Like a storm would gently caress that thing up so bad. Even slight waves would throw it off in the ocean and a gyroscope system would have a hard time countering that much mass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

uXs posted:

1%, so 4 years.

Oh ok thanks lol

Guess for the rest :iiam:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

BastardySkull posted:

This is not hard sci-fi.

I mean if it presents itself as hard sci-fi and wants to reference quantum entanglement and stuff that seems like fair game to me.

My boyfriend who read the original books in Chinese watched it with me and his first reaction for the opening scene was "jeez they could have at least got actors with Mandarin accents for this", no American would catch that but it just kinda highlights that D&D are not as good at attention to detail as they think. At least the coffee cups fit in this better than Westeros.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

BastardySkull posted:

You can't transmit any information faster than light via quantum entanglement though. If it were a hard sci-fi that'd be evident. Most of the stuff that cribs off real science is a prop to do interesting things plot-wise, including dimensional folding and stuff.

I thought it works instantly over any distance. Are you saying Mass Effect lied to me?

edit: seems like it does, but we don't have a way to manipulate a quantum thingy to change the other one

Shneak posted:

Samwell cannot get off my screen fast enough.

We get mainstream goon representation and you're complaining? Unbelievable. He's also the most charismatic actor on the show. The rest of the Oxford Five are pretty blah but Eiza González is the most one-note.

Benedict Wong is pretty great now that he can speak with his voice and not Marvel Slop Uncle Roger.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 24, 2024

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Why did it have to be a cable snapping? Just felt deflating. That thing was designed to not only withstand proximity to nuclear blasts, but also benefit from them. Just have bomb No. 4, say, nick the edge of the hole in the middle of the sail, and this is enough to knock the whole thing off course to miss bomb No. 5. I dunno, just spitballing here. There could be a nice, "Really, we just threw away billions of dollars thinking that would work?" moment. And also, just for once in a TV show or movie, letting the earlier scene where the room of closed-minded experts scoff at the protagonist's harebrained idea actually be a justifiable scoff.

I went back and Wade has an earlier throwaway line about how they need the project because even if it fails it will advance several tech trees by 100 years. I agree spending that much time for a Checkov's Brain subplot felt like a letdown anyway, in the show and in us putting up with it.

One more thing I was wondering during the Sohpons part If it can unfurl it's dimensions and cover the whole planet like that, and that wasn't an illusion, why don't they just use that to block the sun until 99% of humans die from the disruption of weather/food?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Boris Galerkin posted:

And who the gently caress is Saul even? I literally can't think of a single thing he did in the show other than smoke weed.

My bf is a real scientist dealing with the various controversies arising from DEI in the academic world (the Supreme Court Affirmative Action decision was a big shakeup with a lot of lawyers doing mandatory powerpoint training sessions, the Harvard plagiarism thing, etc). When he saw Saul in Ep.8 he was like "what has this guy accomplished?" and the show is like "We are making Saul a wallfacer, he has studied with some of the greatest minds..." and he lost his poo poo like "Studied with them?! What the gently caress has he published!!" and I was lolling. Even Saul himself is like "hmm I think I know why they picked me... nahhhhh" like he knows he's World Savior Diversity Hire. What else could they possibly expect anyone to infer from that part?

Jakabite posted:

I’ll be watching this show for Benedict Wong, Liam Cunningham, and visualisations of some of the best sequences from one of my favourite works of fiction and that’s about it. The Oxford Five are irritating, especially Auggie. Her character is written and acted terribly. Overall I’m looking forward to cool sequences in the hopefully coming series but D&D have already shown they’ve learnt nothing from GoT.

This is 100% the right take, you correctly named the best and worst actors in the show, and yeah there's a couple cool scenes that are clearly despite D&D not because of them.

SimonChris posted:

The cars were explicitly said to be autonomous self-driving cars. Presumably, they can't hack vehicles with human drivers / pilots.

Airplanes are like 99% autonomous already though. Airlines beg us to put our phones into Airplane Mode, yet loving Sophons can't disrupt them?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah anyone who's asking for Saul's credentials while not also asking for Liam Cunningham's character's credentials should look inward and ask themselves why.

Oh I was criticizing Cunningham's character too. I feel like they wrote him in specifically to have one incorrigible British Geezer who gets to say slurs so they could contain the outrage to just him. He's way more over-the-top than any other character, but at least it's entertaining.

bawfuls posted:

yes, more specifically because Ye Wenjie spoke to him in the cemetary that day, the Trisolarans are fearful of him. Because the Trisolarans fear him, the UN chose him to be a Wallfacer

OK fine, but that's not conveyed to the audience at all, and the assassination attempt only happens after he's announced (they should have done it before if they wanted to show that the aliens have it in for him). Wallfacer ceremony rationalizing it as "working with the brightest minds" specifically is what my bf was reacting to, he has to trudge through bullshit recommendation letters like that. Saul calls himself a low-level researcher. He was probably getting $20/hr to pipette some stuff and has fuckall to show for it. Like IRL there would have been audible groans unless everyone in that whole room was aware of the secret reasoning.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

bawfuls posted:

the car crash happens before he's announced, the gun attempt is after. I agree it's not well communicated in the show

Ah yeah, I guess all the post-episode-5 are kinda a smear to me at this point lol

That kinda proves the point about the character being useless, hey you're a low-level research grunt and a stoner, but someone actually smart/accomplished said something to you that you might eventually figure out, and that's your sole merit now

mcmagic posted:

Should I watch the Chinese series from 2023?

Absolutely don't do that, my bf made me watch that with him before this came out and we were like holy poo poo this drags on. It wasn't our imagination because this show does in one episode what that took 10 to do. Major snooze-fest and we gave up somewhere in the first season. I'd sooner do that Minecraft one.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

discoukulele posted:

Yeah, like, basically (show spoilers, minor book spoilers?)

The show makes the San-Ti seem more like a hivemind, but basically there's no difference between speech and thought to them (they broadcast their literal thoughts to everyone around them), so they don't understand concepts of lying, or metaphor, or symbolic speech. So things like jokes and stories are one of our greatest strenghts.

How long have the Sophons been active? It's weird that they've had the time to "read Wikipedia" as Wade says, but it's that guy's storytime that happens to make them throw a poo poo fit?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Kaddish posted:

I thought it looked fine.

Ask your optometrist for a refund lol

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

cant cook creole bream posted:

I mean it looked okay. Some people just have really high expectations for cgi for some reason.

The fur looked particularly off and the whole model was too pristine and shiny. The animation felt weird too, especially because motion blur was added artificially and wasn't behaving like real people in the scene. Like it was Hair and Motion Blur plugins you'd find in some Unreal engine game, representing a robot of a chimp. A movie 12 years older looks better IMO, maybe they should have got a couple VFX people who worked on that series.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (2011):

3BP:

We were saying "oof" at the effects while we were watching it, it was especially funny because the human actors were reacting as if they were watching a CGI primate come to life at well

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'd rather they not harass an animal for human entertainment, therefore CGI good.

Yeah, the CGI needed to puke so I can imagine that would not have been practical. But they still could have just, done it better?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

jisforjosh posted:

A minute or 2 of footage where it just has to be good enough

Except, it wasn't really good enough, it was like being made to turn in C- homework

The ship for me was fine on first watch if I wasn't like freeze-framing it, the plastic monke was the only thing that looked obviously bad first go-around

The show is like no-budget most of the time so that kinda makes it worse when they halfass the few bits that need it

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Alhazred posted:

You can't really compare a high budget movie where realistic looking chimps are the main selling point to a show that only needs a chimp for a couple of minutes.

I looked and even adjusting for inflation, these 8 episodes had a higher budget ($160 million, 20 million per episode) than the Apes movie ($90 million in 2011 dollars).

But the main thing is on top of that, CGI had 13 years to improve. Like I'm seeing asset-flip chimp models that look better in still shots than that did.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Open Source Idiom posted:

These eight episodes also had roughly four times the runtime, and had to adjust their budgets for covid and delayed reshoots caused by the strike, and a bunch of considerable one-off technical effects and costumes, large actor budgets, and operated in an even more bloated industry that sucks up money like a vacuum cleaner, etc. etc.

Large actor budgets? We've got the guy from Star Citizen, the guy from Marvel Slop, and no one else I've ever heard of. I'd chalk it up to graft and probably D&D being as bad at money as they are at details. It's not even like they're shooting in castles and hot springs in Iceland like GoT, most of this is people sitting around in offices.

Here's an objectively bad choice, licensing that loving Lana Del Rey song. I hated that whiny crap day 1 that I heard it, doesn't even have any cool videogame references in it!

mystes posted:

all my good cgi apes gone

I mean it's one cgi banana, what could it cost, 10 dollars?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

jisforjosh posted:

This better not be directed at Benedict Wong

He's great in this, I just think it's tragic that he's stuck doing Marvel crap while probably making 1/1000th of whatever Robert Downey Jr did.

MarcusSA posted:

Imagine hating women this much.

Confusing take since wikipedia says the song is considered "antifeminist". I hate it for the same reason I hate Hallelujah, just mopey basic garbage. But this song is worse because of the false advertising. If you're gonna make a song referencing video games it better sound like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy8HOgVW6ts

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Groovelord Neato posted:

Marco Polo not getting a third season was a crime.

Netflix cancels all great shows after Season 2, it's the law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Buttchocks posted:

There were a lot more than three seasons, but Netflix developed a weapon to collapse them.

Oh god... the sOAphons