Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’m a little worried but also hopeful

Game of Thrones started sucking because they ran out of source material. But 3 Body is a finished work so who knows, maybe they’ll do well with a complete roadmap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hello my name is…

Wayne Meow

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Huh

Rian Johnson, Brad Pitt and Rosalind Pike are executive producers

I wonder how much influence they have

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Lampsacus posted:

i'm getting storm of swords flashbacks. where some of the Good stuff is going to take a while to get to, and there is this feeling of trigger-happy tension where th show just wants to quickly get to it. i love them all but its pretty common sentiment that book 2 is the best, which means this ISN'T going to be cancelled but will have a less energetic/funded season 3/book 3 unless it picks up a fandom a la a GoT. i love this series and wish everybody involved in this production all the best for a successful show.

Not having read Storm of Swords, what did they do different to the adaptation

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

No that was The Lake House

It sounds like 3 Body Problem

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jan 11, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Naw I think he’s describing that movie Frequency

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I love that American productions just have the best cameras and lighting. We will always dominate in making things look like a ton of money was thrown at it

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah I liked it a lot despite the obvious tv budget, some stilted delivery and maybe some pacing issues

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Modulo16 posted:

This is what’s making me wary. I can already see the white washing. Miao’s not listed on IMDb. I’ll watch, but I’m not going to hype myself up about what could be a disappointing adaptation of the source material.

They’re re-ethnicitizing like 2/3 of the characters, but to various races, so maybe graywashing

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

PriorMarcus posted:

Holy gently caress. There's no way D&D manage to make there version this good.

I could be wrong but I think they actually do well as long as somebody hands them a good completed story (for the most part)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

discoukulele posted:

the final trailer dropped. it looks incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdvzhCL7vIA

They're doing the world premiere tomorrow night in my city, and I managed to get some standby tickets, so fingers-crossed I might get in. :holy:

Love that they’re able to put together images like the row of lamps or the suicide in the neutrino detector facility

How many episodes are in the theatrical premiere?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 8, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Reviews coming in

71% on RT

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/3_body_problem/s01

Most of the negative reviews comment on the flat, two-dimensional characters

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Mar 10, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
What time do Netflix shows drop

Edit: It’s up!

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 21, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Sertaline and Alprazolam are anxiety medications in case anyone’s wondering

First episode was great! It’s very good at teasing. It teases in a very tantalizing way the way Lost used to, except unlike Lost we know that the reveals are actually worth all the buildup

Absolute breakneck speed. A lot of character development with Ye Wenjie gets shoved into a bazooka and launched at your face. Would’ve liked it taking more time, but understandable considering the episode count

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Mar 21, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Episode 2 ends on a banger and it’s satisfyingly dramatic

Shows great so far

Samwell Tarly’s character isn’t even as annoying as I thought he would be from the trailers!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The way they handle getting invitations into the vr simulator, while I think it’s rushed, I respect how brutally efficient it is, like taking three wheels away from a car and figuring out how to turn it into a unicycle that still gets you to work

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Dare I say the character dynamics between these 5 main characters is actually more entertaining than the source material. They’re all very distinct and have personalities

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Lampsacus posted:

god this show is just racing through the material. again, this makes sense in some ways. but i kind of wish it would slow down and do things like - i don' t know - actually demonstrate the 3 body problem to the audience. its glossed over like some lore or brute fact of the alien system rather than a universal actual puzzle in physics. also, the big reveals/oh-my-god moments in the novel are pushed through so quickly on this show.

Yeahhhhhh

So far the big downside of this show

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Mar 21, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Interesting additions

Episode 3:
Will’s cancer and Indian Dad’s war story are allusions to the battle between different life forms over limited resources. Might come across heavy handed for book readers but for non-book-readers they might get to the end of the series and look back on these moments in episode 3 and go oh wow they were hinting at these themes

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Finished 5

Pacing continues to be a pebble in my shoe watching this show

They don’t take enough time to explain why the 3 body problem is so difficult. Clearly explaining a concept this central to the show helps audiences feel like they have a grasp on what’s going on and not feel like they’re getting buried in Star Trek mumbo jumbo

They don’t clearly explain why they have to use nanowires and why they can’t use conventional tactics against the judgement day

Edit:

Pros through 5
Will’s cancer story is a surprisingly good addition, thematically

Wang Miao being split up is also working out surprisingly well. Lets the characters talk to each other instead of one character talking to themself

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 21, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Wow uhh yeah we’re going full bore into book 2 stuff

Edit: and book 3 stuff

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 21, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I was happy to see CCH Pounder in the last episode. If you need a govt agent to drop an insane govt proposal in your lap, she’s your woman

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Finished. Felt like kind of an anticlimactic part of the story to end on. Might’ve been better to end where book 1 ended and given everything a little more breathing room.

Overall pretty good

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah maybe I should watch it again. It was 5am so I might not have been very attentive.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I’m seeing some complaints coming from Chinese social media that if they were gonna westernize the cast, they should have completely westernized it instead of having it partially Chinese. According to them, the effect of keeping Ye Wenjie and the Angry Commies is putting China in a bad light and making the westerners the heroes who have to fix the problems the Chinese caused

I’m seeing plenty of bad takes on twitter saying “See? Chinese bad!” despite the source author being Chinese, so I’m inclined to think the Chinese netizens maybe have a point

If a western adaptation were to change Ye Wenjie to another setting, what would work?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I figure having a fleet is a handy vacation home when you come from a planet that gets scorched every few years

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Maybe the trisolarans should have watched wandering earth and gotten ideas from that instead of building two planet-sized supercomputers to mess with our particle accelerators

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Would putting off DO NOT ANSWER until a later episode have been better

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Executive producer Rian Johnson!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The quantum entanglement the sophons use isn’t actually scientific is it?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Mantle posted:

It's based in a current theory, but I don't believe that "long distance" has been tested at the scale shown in 3 Body.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quant...rge%20distance.

An example I heard was that quantum entanglement is more like cutting a coin in half and giving the halves to two people. If one person looks at their coin half and it’s heads, they know that the other person’s coin half is tails

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

FPyat posted:

Seeing twitter people react to the show is rending my mind to shreds. I feel like I'm dying of an aneurysm.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
One thing I wished they’d put in was the quote “physics doesn’t exist”

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Oh yeah you’re correct

So you’re blindfolded and hand coin halves in envelopes to two people

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
i tear a shopping list in half and give one half to my friend. We both agree to buy the stuff on our half of the list.

i open my piece of paper up. It says screw. I know that my friend is going to buy the driver

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/hideo_kojima_en/status/1771441105743278389?s=46

Exposition dump guy loves exposition dump show based on exposition dump novels

(Also recommended the tencent version, he loves all versions)

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Mar 23, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=er1JDr4ML5Q&t=1420&pp=ygUOVGVuY2VudCAzIGJvZHk%3D

See for yourself (24 mins in)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
One thing the Chinese version did smartly was to have it happen late afternoon so that the dusk would hide cheap looking cgi. In the Netflix version some shots looked great in the daytime sun and other shots looked cheap

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Raid team leader looks at his watch

Oh poo poo we only have 20 minutes left this episode let’s goooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Them dirty Threesuns