Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
I binged the original Three-Body this past week, drat that was good stuff. The dubbing of the English-speaking characters was hilarious, and the back half probably could have been edited down a tad tighter but still, A+ would recommend.

Watching the Netflix version is like reading a Coles Notes, goddam do they knock down key plot points and character development like dominoes. If I hadn't watched Three-Body first then I'd feel really disconnected from a lot of what's going on in 3 Body Problem. I feel like Goldilocks, albeit the Netflix version is moving extremely fast whereas the original was only a tad slow imo.

3BP is about 440 minutes (8 eps, 55min per maybe?) of content I estimate, and T-B was close to 1450 minutes (30 eps, 45min per roughly?). Feels like a 'just right' version would probably be feasible if it was around 1200 minutes perhaps; I'll need to check out that anniversary edition whenever I decide to do a re-watch.

Anyways, to avoid potential spoilers and hints I skipped reading the thread for now, so my apologies if these questions were already asked and/or answered.

- I'm only 4 episodes into the Netflix version, and I saw a few comments that some content from the next book was included in 3BP. Is that accurate (y/n is all I need)?

- If the above was a 'y', then would any book readers in the thread strongly recommend reading The Dark Forest before continuing 3BP?

- Lastly, was the original Three-Body pretty much the same as the book, i.e. could I go from watching Three-Body to reading The Dark Forest, or should I still read through The Three-Body Problem first?

Thanks in advance for advice & recommendations! :yayclod:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

discoukulele posted:

- Yeah, there's content from the next two books in 3BP
- The content from the next two books are the first few chapters from each. Roughly the first 100 pages of Book 3 and somewhere around that for Book 2 (but I'm not positive on that one). It's not anything majorly spoilerish as it's all of the setup stuff from both books.
- You could probably go from Three-Body to the Dark Forest (there's just a few minor subplots that the series added, but otherwise it's almost entirely the same). It might be better to read Three Body Problem first though.

Thanks disco ukulele!

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Yadoppsi posted:

Perhaps you or some other readers of this thread would enjoy this fan made Supercut of Tencent's 3Body: https://disembiggened.com/

Honestly, there is a lot that needs to be cut from the original TenCent version imo, at least not in terms of whole scenes. Reducing 22~ hours to 6 gives the series the same awkward rushed pace as the Netflix version.

I'd definitely recommend starting with the TenCent version if I knew someone was curious about the adaptations. I liked the chemistry between the actors portraying Wang Miao and Shi Qiang a lot, ditto the performances by the actresses portraying Ye Wenjie. A lot of posters commented earlier in the thread that the characters in the books lacked depth, at least the first book, but I didn't feel that way about the majority of the TenCent cast.

Anyways, I'll definitely check out second seasons of either production.