Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.
I've finished episode five and have been mostly enjoying it so far, but am starting to get overwhelmed by toughts of, "Wait a second. This doesn't make any sense." It's starting to feel like they really needed a few more passes on the script. Just as one example, can someone answer the following for me:

The whole plan for intercepting the Judgment Day seems overly complicated and stupid. Like, the problem is, "We need to stop this ship and retrieve the information." There is a line or two about limiting casulaties on both the Navy side and, if possible, the Judgement Day side. Additionally, there is a line about being careful that the crew isn't able to destroy any of the data they need. So the solution is, "Ok... let's deploy this crazy experimental technology that was just invented that, so far, has only been used to cut up a small diamond. We will use it to cut the entire ship and everyone on it into tiny little bits." Wouldn't that drastically *increase* the chance of destroying the data? If the data is destroyed, wouldn't it be helpful to be able to ask the people on board the ship questions? Wouldn't this cause a major international incident if you have the Royal Navy very publicly destroying a privately owned ship in the Panama Canal killing all aboard in a dramatic and gruesome way? Wasn't this mission supposed to be secret?

Am I missing something? Was this incident in the book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

PriorMarcus posted:

The tone of that opening scene was so odd though. Like they killed him by mistake by taking things too far rather than public execution being a common ending to Struggle sessions. 2 million people died due to them, give or take.

I thought it was an odd choice to have his wife strongly denounce him in front of him and his daughter, but then there are no shots of her reacting to his killing. It seems like an obvious thing to do as a contrast to Ye Wenjie's reaction. Then there's the fact that the mom/wife is never mentioned again as far as I remember. Like, how does Ye Wenjie feel about the fact that her mom sold out her dad? What happened to her mom after the struggle session?

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Avasculous posted:

No to book explanation. Neither of them are book characters and the book ETO/Sophons doesn't kill people who don't sign up for the newsletter, it just deletes their account and tells them to gently caress off.

In fact, Ye Wenjie executes a member for being indiscreet enough to murder a detractor.

That makes much more sense. I think pretty much all of the actions of that character didn't make much sense to me. For example, I can understand hiding footage of her (or whoever) broke into the house to leave the device behind, but doesn't it make things infinitely more suspicious to scrub her out of video of her lighting someone's cigarette? Especially since she choose to be all creepy and mysterious in the conversation. It's not like Auggie couldn't just describe her to anyone who asked or point her out if she ever saw her again. LIke why not just approach Auggie in broad daylight in a completely safe and familiar environment and say, "Hey, I know you've seeing this countdown. I'm with an organization that knows why it's happening and we'd really like to help you with it. We are glad to meet with you anytime you like in any location you'd like. I'd strongly suggest you do so soon because a lot of people who have seen the countdown have died."

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Lampsacus posted:

I can't help but feel any criticism along the lines of "a 10 year old could write this" feels like somebody pointing to some contemporary abstract art in a gallery and saying "a 10 year old could draw this. i could draw this."

Then why haven't you and made bank? Do it. Somebody itt write the next 3bp with all its lovely logic and plot holes.

: p

I don't think that's the analogy I would use. There were obviously tons of talented people involved in this production. They also obviously had all they money they needed. My whole thing is a lot of that talent and money was wasted by simple plotting issues with the script. Like it feels like if they just needed to take a few more passes on it. In my mind I compare it a lot to Damon Lindelof's productions post-Lost. I haven't seen Mrs. Davis yet, but Watchmen and The Leftovers are so well scripted that even when those shows got a bit out there they never had me break out of my suspention of disbelief because the character's actions and the plot were always consistant and made sense on their face.

confused fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 26, 2024

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Avasculous posted:

Funnily enough, I think that's exactly how it plays out in the book. The main character starts seeing the countdown, can't figure it out, and a sympathetic/friendly colleague clues him in and suggests he pause his project.

See... That makes a lot more sense. It's not like that is super clever plotting, it's just the obvious thing someone would do. I didn't realize he is the same author of The Wondering Earth until yesterday. I haven't read any of the books, but I really enjoyed the movie of The Wondering Earth. That's just as crazy as sci-fi plots go, but I never had any of these issues with that movie.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.
Finished ep 8 last night. Even given all my frustrations with the show, I think, as a whole, it was a worthwhile watch. Additionally, I think they left things in an interesting enough place that I will definitely give second season a shot if they make one. I appreciate the fact that they took some big swings in this show. Not all of them connected, but you certainly can't fault them for being timid. In the end, I think my primary frustration is that it seems like with like 15% more work or talent, it could have been amazing instead of just worthwhile.

Edit: Side note.... I just watched the first episode of Mrs. Davis last night. It was crazy and I loved the hell out of it. I don't know what it is about Damon Lindelof, but I am just on the same wavelength as he is.

confused fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

PriorMarcus posted:

Imagine if every one of the Oxford Five had the same charisma as John Bradley! Imagine how much better the show would instantly be with no other changes.

I'm actually fine with the other members of the Oxford Five. I thought the actors did a fine job with the material and I thought the characterizations were fine. He was the highlight, for sure.