Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I thought 2 or 3 seasons was the Great Filter

The solution is to make your show wrap up in 2-3 seasons

I feel like they wrote this adaptation knowing almost nothing on Netflix gets more than three seasons especially the really expensive stuff. The Chinese adaptation took 30 hours to do just the first book where here we wrapped up book 1 by episode 5 and spent the last 3 doing set up for both The Dark Forest and Deaths End..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

bawfuls posted:

The fact that they put a significant chunk of book 2 and some of book 3 into the first season makes me think they're trying to wrap it up within 3 seasons at most

Even with all the future set up it is hard for me to imagine how they get from where they are now to the Doomsday Battle in 8 episodes, assuming that is the climax of a second season. The first book was easier to condense because the story is smaller but it gets exponentially more complex from here.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

discoukulele posted:

There's still another Crisis Era plot point the cringe imaginary girlfriend subplot :stonk: that hopefully they just skip over

edit: but we do also have to see the failures of the other Wallfacers before the droplet shows up

I might be getting my characters mixed up but isn’t that character Saul now. They replaced that part from the books with the relationship he has with Aggie or at least that is what I assume they are doing.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Yeah I did forget about those other bits, so I guess it's not one episode. I could see them compressing it a lot though, particularly since they dropped one wallfacer from the books and if they omit the cringe.

We can’t skip the sequence where Luo Ji/Saul wakes up in the future and faces a string of comical assassination attempts like a pot hole opening under his feet, a robot waiter trying to stab him and a couch attempting a strangulation