Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I'm only on episode 3, but as a big fan of the books i'm impressed with the show so far. I'm kind of surprised, they've managed to make the show the opposite of the books, where the characters are somewhat likable/relatable, but I think the show does a worse job selling some of the big ideas/dramatic set pieces. Specifically the blinking cosmic background radiation felt kind of flat in the show. They nailed the 3 body game though. It seems like they've been very efficient at collapsing several characters together, and have already introduced [spoiler] almost every major character from the book that I can remember, maybe with the exception of Luo Ji?[spoiler]. Excited to finish the rest of the season, and hope it gets a season 2. Hopefully with an even higher budget, they're gonna need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Ok, just finished it and I think they did a pretty drat good job. My only major complaint was that I think they changed my single favorite line from the book, wasn't it "We'll send only a brain!" or something like that? In the show it didn't have as much impact..

I also thought it was weird that Auggie disappeared for most of the last few episodes. Who is her analogue in the books? Is she going to be Jin Cheng's 'AA'?.

Overall I thought the actress who played Jin Cheng and Wade did an amazing job. Especially Liam Cunningham, I like his version of Wade more than the character in the book. Excellent casting.

I was also surpised and poleased with how much stuff from book 2 and 3 they included. The fairy tales and goldfish being featured so prominently was a sign to me that they have a long term plan in place.

Also have we met Ding Yi yet?

Please let it get a second season.

frogbs fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Mar 24, 2024

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

She's the stand in for Wang Miao, the scientist protagonist of the modern day parts of the first book. He's not really present in the second or third books, where most of the plot of the last three episodes was drawn from, which is presumably why she vanished.

I guess I knew she was Wang Miao's stand in, but I figured they were going to fold all the main characters in with other book characters to give all the main cast a through line to the end of the book. If Auggie ends up being a stand in for 'AA' too, that would put her and Jin Cheng literally at the very end of the book. And if they couple Auggie and Saul then he'd be around for quite a while as well. It'd be a good way to keep everyone together.

pedro0930 posted:

Is Ye Wenjie even portrayed as a/the villain in the show?

I thought she actually came off as way more sympathetic in the show than in the book.

Tarnop posted:

They know where the fleet is coming from because they can see the trails the ships leave through interstellar dust clouds

I was sure that they'd show this in the show, it'd be a good visual, but maybe they'll include a scene later when they can actually see the fleet and not just the cloud.

frogbs fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 24, 2024

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Also gently caress, just realized who Jin Cheng's boyfriend is probably going to be Zhang Beihai. Can't believe I didn't realize that right away.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Cimber posted:

based on some digging The aliens are not a hive mind but communicate via telepathy or something like that. Because they can sense each other's thoughts the concept of lying is foreign to them....somehow? Because no alien ever thought to think untrue thoughts or something? I dunno.

I think they're incapable of holding back thoughts. Anything in their mind is communicated, so they literally cannot be deceitful to their own kind, or at least that was my reading of it in the book.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Lampsacus posted:

Hey! If I'm a fan of the books+dramatisations of 3bd, What is some good hard sci fi to read?
Sans Greg Egan, Culture series (apologies if its not *actually* really hard sci fi), blindsight.

:)

I asked this question somewhere else and the resounding suggestion was ‘Children of Time’ by Adrian Tchaikovsky, which I’ve loving hated so far and I’m 90% through the book.

Suffice to say, I’m also looking for recommendations!

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Cojawfee posted:

Does that have any bearing on the new lego sets coming out? No? Then gently caress off, aliens.

If I was aliens I’d be so psyched about new Lego sets

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Open Source Idiom posted:

These eight episodes also had roughly four times the runtime, and had to adjust their budgets for covid and delayed reshoots caused by the strike, and a bunch of considerable one-off technical effects and costumes, large actor budgets, and operated in an even more bloated industry that sucks up money like a vacuum cleaner, etc. etc.

On top of that, you're now dealing with an FX industry that's in far worse straits that it once was -- things cost more and look worse.

The monkey doesn't look photorealistic, but it moves nicely and communicates the essentials required by the scene. I don't get why this is such a big deal.

This show also had a weirdly stacked executive producer list, which likely means a bunch of money went to those people without much to show for it (Benioff, Weiss, Rian Johnson, Rosamund Pike, Brad Pitt, Andrew Stanton) nevermind the others I don’t recognize!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I want a 5 episode arc in season two of them repairing each sliced person and whole backstory for each person leading up to them being diced.