Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Lampsacus posted:

Hey! If I'm a fan of the books+dramatisations of 3bd, What is some good hard sci fi to read?
Sans Greg Egan, Culture series (apologies if its not *actually* really hard sci fi), blindsight.

:)

Stephen Baxter? The Manifold trilogy in particular, in which each book pokes a different solution to Fermi. Or Xeelee sequence, which has an even grander arc. Alistair Reynolds has some good stuff, House Of Suns I thought was super good and is standalone. Pushing ice.

May see a lot of arguments about what 'hard' sci fi really covers.

Ask in this thread over in Book Barn too.

If you've read Blindsight already, Exordia is probably gonna come up. It's great, but maybe not hard.

E: Spin, Robert Charles Winston. Marooned in Real Time, Vernor Vinge (RIP :C)

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Yeah the binge model does not help this show imo. Ties in with them revealing the mystery pretty early - I think you could have maintained good interest week to week if they stretched it a bit more and had people speculating. Though maybe that would just lead to people getting spoiled because the books... Exist.