Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I was really hyped for this and it didn't quite live up. I don't have any big problems with it, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Maybe it's because I already know (more or less, I've forgotten a lot of specifics) what's going to happen so there's little to no tension?

A couple minor gripes:
-A lot of the main characters are from a single friends group which is just too much of a coincidence
-The first stage booster separation is like, what, at least half an hour after launch? They go for a stroll on the beach, there's a scene change to the water filter thing, then some more walking around in the launch area, and only then we get booster sep. I'm saying half an hour but it honestly felt like hours. Immediately followed by the other stages and the sail deployment. So that timing is completely ridiculous and it really annoyed me.

Still want to see the other books though, so I hope it does well enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Steve Yun posted:

An example I heard was that quantum entanglement is more like cutting a coin in half and giving the halves to two people. If one person looks at their coin half and it’s heads, they know that the other person’s coin half is tails

I think this analogy breaks down because it implies hidden variables? When you give the two halves to them, it's already decided who has heads and who has tails, they just don't know it yet. In actual quantum entanglement, this isn't the case. The value of the property of the thing you're measuring is only set when you're actually measuring.

Or something like that, I'm no quantum or any other physicist.

And another this makes no sense moment: When Saul gets shot, his bulletproof vest takes the hit. Goes to the hospital, gets discharged, and keeps wearing the same vest. What the hell? (episode 8)

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Steve Yun posted:

Oh yeah you’re correct

So you’re blindfolded and hand coin halves in envelopes to two people

Still hidden variables. It just breaks down if you think about it in macroscopic terms. Like the cat.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I never understood the point of the game either.

And having seen the 2 versions of the Judgment Day incident now, I do like the Netflix version a lot more.

I do wonder why they went with 3 WFs instead of the 4 they have in the book. Optimistic take: they already have the second season mapped out so they already know what they want to do with them and what they want to/have to cut.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

SimonChris posted:

Episode 4:
Why would they break Cheng's cover like that? Just take her in with the others and separate her later. Come on, this is basic stuff.

Same reason they have the guy shadow Ye but then she arrives at Red Coast and he's like 'oh sure, you can go mess around in there on your own, no biggie'.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

LinkesAuge posted:

I mean it's not hard to see why this could be viewed very critically in China, the only "chinese" character kinda fills a villain role and everyone else in the show who is "asian" is "westernized" as if to say that it couldn't be possible to have a "good" character from China (Asia) who is actually from there (and doesn't need to be "converted" to western understanding).
That is certainly a choice for a story that tackles questions of colonization/imperialism.

Then again, she also literally lives in the UK so she's just as westernized as everybody else.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Zero VGS posted:

The Sophons were sent to Earth at "nearly light speed" according to the show, so they fired them off what, a couple years after first contact? Because it should have taken them 40 years minimum to arrive at full light speed since the fleet is 10% light speed.

1%, so 4 years.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

PostNouveau posted:

No, I'm trying to think of something dumber in the books and I cannot. It is supremely stupid in the books as well.

It's a huge drag on Book 2, which is easily the worst one, although it does lead to some absolutely :black101: stuff

What's wrong with it?

I mean, you have the sophons, who are capable of spying on the entire world, and all of your plans are immediately revealed and can then be countered. The only plans or strategies that can stay hidden are the ones that are never written down or spoken aloud. So you assign some people who could have good ideas and give them the power to implement whatever the gently caress they can think of without having to explain or justify anything.

And, bigger spoiler:

It actually works, so...

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
If you don't want to or can't use a real chimp, and if you can't spend tons of money on good CGI, just get rid of the chimp scene all together. Or leave him frozen in the thing.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Caros posted:

But... You can still do it manually. No?

No. It's a chaotic system so absolutely tiny differences in your starting parameters will cause massive differences later on. And even if you could get the starting parameters 100% correct (which you can't), there's also all the other bodies in the system that will have a minimal, but still significant, influence.

On the other hand, it does take time for chaos to take over so in practical terms it can be calculated well enough. You just have keep adjusting every so often.

And eventually your planet is hosed regardless.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

counterfeitsaint posted:

I understand that gravity's effect is reduced by an inverse square of distance, but it's also technically without limit right? So really if you're calculating anything out, say, the movement of the Earth and moon to predict an eclipse, it's always a several body problem, even if most of those objects (the other planets in the system) are having very, very minor impacts. Is that not correct? Are the effects of other bodies in the system so minor as to be completely disregarded, even calculating far into the future? Even if you ignore everything else, something as straight forward as predicting the movements of the moon would be a three body problem, since you have the moon, the earth, and the sun.

Apparently yeah, if the bodies are too small they can be disregarded. Like if you have a planet and its small moon, it behaves (close enough) as just one body.

At least that's what I got from this video with Neil deGrasse Tyson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GfIDwwxfsM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Collateral posted:

The space time curve is already there, though? I was under the impression it was the curve that determines the movement of the earth.

Well... if we imagine the sun suddenly vanishing, that would obviously change the curvature of space-time. But that change would only reach us 8 minutes later. Until that happened, the earth would keep circling the now vanished sun.