Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

I read all three books during the early months of Covid and it seems I forgot 95% of what happened. But I do like, what I think is new to the show?, the little bit about Silent Spring, just because somebody somewhere in the writing saw the connection with bugs.

Also, nice to see Keiko from Star Trek after all these years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

I get why they are doing it, but the lack of world leaders/governments being shown reacting or acting to all this just feels conspicuous in its absence. Yes, we get a UN Secretary General and I guess the Onion King is a proxy for the powers that be, but for a world-encompassing tale, it feels very...small.

That being said, the show does a really good job of working this to its advantage by actually fleshing out characters instead of just being plot delivery bipeds.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

SimonChris posted:

For people looking for different adaptations, don't forget the Minecraft version, which started as a fan work but became an official adaptation from season two onwards. They eventually stop using Minecraft at all in favor of custom animation done in a minecrafty style.

Season 1

Season 2

Season 3

This is wonderful. I skipped to S2 E9, which is the "Water Drop" doing its teardrop thing and it was pretty much exactly as I saw it in my head, with the exception of some wider shots to convey the spectacle.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

FPyat posted:

Man, it seems a lot of people are totally befuddled as to why the Chinese censors would approve a work that depicts the Cultural Revolution negatively.

I've seen a non-zero number of American reviews baffled by this. I'm trying to think of an American equivalent, like a Chinese vlogger walking down the street reviewing Django Unchained and just dumbfounded that an American movie acknowledged that slavery existed.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

mcmagic posted:

I feel like the whole 400 years thing kinda takes an edge off the whole stoy and it's hard to get all that invested in the stakes. And I thought the show was pretty good and well acted. I'm just not dying to see what comes next if they do a season 2 to way I am with some other shows.

I think the final scene of the last episode dropped the ball. If they wanted to pique curiosity for a Season 2, they could have easily shown the 200-year time jump and really got people's imaginations going.

Sorry, I guess I am offering a spoiler for a viewer who probably doesn't want spoilers. Just saying the books offer ways to build the stakes that the show kinda just decided to barely tease when they were right there for the taking.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 25, 2024

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Why don't make the whole space parachute out of the black boxindestructible nano fiber?

Why did it have to be a cable snapping? Just felt deflating. That thing was designed to not only withstand proximity to nuclear blasts, but also benefit from them. Just have bomb No. 4, say, nick the edge of the hole in the middle of the sail, and this is enough to knock the whole thing off course to miss bomb No. 5. I dunno, just spitballing here. There could be a nice, "Really, we just threw away billions of dollars thinking that would work?" moment. And also, just for once in a TV show or movie, letting the earlier scene where the room of closed-minded experts scoff at the protagonist's harebrained idea actually be a justifiable scoff.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Yeah, I'm willing to let that slide in a 1915 West Point "class the stars fell on" kind of way. Though it would have been nice to see them go their different ways, maybe form their own circles of powerful smart folks working the problem.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

What a wise, sophisticated proton.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Three of the Oxford 5 don't have British accents.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Tarnop posted:

The more prestigious English universities attract a lot of students from overseas, so I didn't find that unusual

Yes, but kinda puts the kibosh on whole British accents sounding smart reasoning.

Edit; unless we're including all the other characters in their orbit around jolly ol' England. But, I think the theory that the creators leaned on their GoT filming connections makes sense.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 25, 2024

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

I think the setups of who the Oxford 5 are is fine. Saul, in his first scene, bluntly says he feels he failed to get his career track going and is now kinda spiraling. The deliberately misleading particle accelerator results aren't helping. Then bigger events take over and he decides to stop trying, and focuses on his friends...mostly. Honestly, out of the five, his reaction is the one I can most relate to.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

I was pumped for a classic moment where a scientist technobabbles for a bit only to be cut off by another character with, "In English, please!"

Disappointed.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

In hindsight, that explanation in the book of "The sun's a signal amplifier. Don't think about it too hard. Just go with it" is a good primer for how to treat some of the more whackadoodle wonderful setpieces to come later.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

You haven’t read 3 Body Problem until you’ve read it in the original English

"Do not wait for the translation!"

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Quinn's Ideas just dropped a 2-hour deep dive into the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P_eyH7EFBw

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Watching Quinn's deep dive, and he's doing a lot of "Rrrr, guys! If you read the books..." But he is also pointing out some good bits that the show lifts right from the books, or does in its own way, such as the placement of books on a shelf -- the specific books (game theory and the Fermi paradox) are winks to bigger themes.

Which is cool, but, considering how much D&D seem to misinterpret or handwave or change major story and character beats (such as Auggie's lack of scientific investigation into her countdown visions that another poster mentioned), it becomes really hard to trust that the writers know what they are doing.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Mar 26, 2024

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Oof. There is a conversation about it in the second(?) episode, which does a good enough job with the very basics of it.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

For anyone reading this thread who does know what the Fermi paradox is, you kinda spoilered them.

I'm guessing you're referring to the part of the paradox that says other aliens are out there but are smart enough to shut the gently caress up so they don't get invaded.

Well, sorry. Though there is an entire scene about it in Ep. 2. But also, when I think Fermi paradox, I tend to think 1: Distances are too far and signals lose strength; 2: Time is too long and two civilizations in communication distance at the same time is extremely low odds; 3: We live in a pretty empty part of the galaxy; 4: We might be alone/the first; 5: Civilizations almost always Great Filter themselves anyway. The idea in the book never occurred to me and I still find it a bit silly, but fun to read in a book.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Mar 26, 2024

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

So I’ll probably read these books and then just try to enjoy the spectacle without wondering about all these details.

Best way to enjoy the books. I feel that Liu Cixin came up with amazing setpieces and then backtracked to get a story out of them, and I'm OK with that.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

They needed to telegraph it way less. Go here at midnight. That's it. Augie feels unsafe so she brings Saul along.

Instead, we had to endure this:

"Something's going to happen to the sky at midnight."

"Huh?"

"I dunno, just look at the sky at midnight. Something's going to happen. Something extraordinary maybe."

"Um, are you OK?"

"I don't know. But it's almost midnight, and I think something will happen in the sky at midnight, so let's look at the sky and see if anything weird happens."

"OK, I will look at the sky to see if something happens to it."

*Chimes of midnight*

Something weird happens to the sky. People look at it. Emotionally ambiguous music plays. That's it.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

A simile is a subunit of metaphor.

If the San-Ti spammed "Hobbs and Shaw!" around the world, would that invalidate the earlier assertion that the San-Ti had never heard of the Fast and Furious franchise? It's a thing to think about hmmm.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

kiminewt posted:

But then you have all the mysteries spoiled already when you read the book. It doesn't matter in some books but I'd argue it definitely matters here.

The explanation of the sophons is the first mindblowing/mindbending big concept that hooked me in when reading the book. For non-book readers, I'm guessing it was a pretty cool concept to be introduced to in the show. Meanwhile, I am just wondering how they will show it instead of being swept away.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Also, that one drive can hold petabytes of data apparently?

That one bugs me, in a way that probably has an explanation I have forgotten. Super-advanced hard drives and VR headsets, here on Earth, which means they must have been manufactured on Earth. Kinda, sorta, defeats the whole impeding human technological progress thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Same showrunners. Some same cast members.

I bet the Droplet in Season 2 will be played by Emilia Clarke.