Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Never heard of the books, watching this now. Super interesting premise and very well done, but (ep 5 spoilers) the thing with the ship and nano fibers was really dumb, it looked cool but what was the point? To prevent them from destroying evidence? How’d they know the fibers wouldn’t chop it up? Curious if it made more sense in the book or maybe I missed something? It’s like they saw Ghost Ship and wanted to dial it up to 11.

I didn’t mind seeing the High Sparrow get chopped up though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Tarnop posted:

In the book they discuss the optimum spacing on the nanowires and the distance they choose is small enough to kill someone lying down and large enough that even if the storage device is cut in half they could reconstruct the data. It's framed as a necessary risk and they know it has a chance of going wrong

Thanks for the explanation, I’m still not buying it but I’m just not gonna let it bother me.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Tarnop posted:

When I was reading the book I remember thinking "oh come on" but then the way it is described is so cool that I gave it a pass. It definitely felt like a kind of forced way to make the nanowire research relevant. I'm not up to that episode in the show so I'm interested to see how it plays out

It definitely looked very cool, so I really enjoyed watching it even if I was saying “wtf?!” the whole time, like eyes glued to the tv so I can soak in every detail.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

deported to Canada posted:

Yeah and the clean up operation didn't exactly look easy, when what they are looking for is somewhere here *gestures at large pile of steel*

Also wanted to add that a particular scene bothered me when you could see that the wreckage had cut through the ship horizontally but seemed to leave the vertical steel beams intact. Minor but that attention to detail caught my eye.

They’re also really lucky the ship decided to turn and run aground instead of sinking into the water like it probably should have.

Also ships aren’t on a flat solid road like a car, they are continually moving in three dimensions as they bob in the water, so having all the cuts be perfectly straight doesn’t really make sense either. I guess they just kind of forgot about higher dimensions, ironically.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Question for book readers, how much of the China scenes were changed? Is it pretty much the same or was it very different? It really felt like it was saying “China bad” and there weren’t any scenes in modern China to say something like “things were bad, but now it’s better” or anything like that. I may have missed it though, gonna need to rewatch the last 2 episodes because I also stayed up late binging it.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Tarnop posted:

In the book, all of the scenes that the TV show sets in the UK happen in China

Oh!… oh. :eng99:

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Updog Scully posted:

BOOK TRILOGY SPOILER: they probably want to reveal that they come from Alpha Centauri, the closest star system to our own, to foreshadow the dark forest reveal i.e. "isn't it weird that the aliens just happen to live in the closest star system to our own?"

I don’t remember exactly what the dialog was but at one point when discussing distances/speeds they said something that came out to 4 ish light years and there’s only one star system 4 light years away and I thought it was really weird that they didn’t talk about Alpha Centauri. I was falling asleep a lot at this point so I don’t remember exactly what was said but it was something like they’re taking 400 years at 1% light speed, so 4 light years away is pretty obvious. I guess it’s not common knowledge for the general public, but the characters would have known instantly. I knew it and I’m just some idiot.

I agree that the pacing was off balance and the episodes 6 and 7 were not as exciting as the rest of the season, though it picked again up in 8. They should have put the wallfacer stuff in 6, maybe make Saul more involved in the decision, and not split up the launch scene like someone else mentioned. Hope it gets a second season, and the producers don’t poo poo the bed like with GoT.

Rewatching episode 6 now and just realizing the scene where Jin convinces Wade to go with the Stairway plan over the objections of the other scientists mirrors the situations in the game.

Also every time they said Sophon I thought they were saying cell phone. When sword lady said we will destroy them with our cell phones I was like lmao drat got us already

Then Jin tells Raj that Auggie is “gutted” about Panama … she’s not the only one.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I thought it just folded itself back up and returned to the charger or whatever

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

I went back and Wade has an earlier throwaway line about how they need the project because even if it fails it will advance several tech trees by 100 years. I agree spending that much time for a Checkov's Brain subplot felt like a letdown anyway, in the show and in us putting up with it.

One more thing I was wondering during the Sohpons part If it can unfurl it's dimensions and cover the whole planet like that, and that wasn't an illusion, why don't they just use that to block the sun until 99% of humans die from the disruption of weather/food?

Re: the project failing, it parallels what happens in the games, where they fail each time but still learn something and advance their knowledge.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I mean it sort of makes sense that they’re all the students of Vera, who is the daughter of the person who contacted the trisolar/san ti, and who was in that position due to being a super scientist. Saul worked with her at the neutrino detector before she killed herself and the project cancelled. They were all super science students even if not all of them became super scientists.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Yeah, I'm willing to let that slide in a 1915 West Point "class the stars fell on" kind of way. Though it would have been nice to see them go their different ways, maybe form their own circles of powerful smart folks working the problem.

Vera’s death actually brought them back together in the beginning. Weird how much stuff I’m remembering through this conversation, but it’s actually decently explained I guess!

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

The most unrealistic part is that there’s no faction denying the aliens exist and no faction trying to gently caress the Eye in the Sky.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Knowing these show runners, they probably set it in the UK so they could cast the same actors from GoT, who already had the accents.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I never thought he was a “diversity hire” what the gently caress

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I liked Saul from the start because I also like to smoke weed and drop acid :2bong:

Lampsacus posted:

Who said it was hard sci fi in the first place?? Surely, it, like most sci fi and like most good sci fi, falls apart when you apply certain logics to it. I feel like 3bp is a bit above falling apart with the smallest application of logic because would that mean it has no logic to it? I feel like it's got a bit of logic to it?? And of course it falls apart! It's sci fi! Everything falls apart because it's dramatized fiction. Name a tv show or book that doesn't fall apart when you apply certain real-world logic to it. Sometimes you just have to enjoy the ride :cool:

It’s soft sci-fi pretending to be hard sci-fi

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

GigaPeon posted:

Did they explain how Tatiana was able to kill Jack like that? Having read the first book, I figured she was the visual avatar for the Sophons that the sword lady turned out to be, but it seems she's just another true believer. If that's a later book thing to be explain, you can say that.

She stabbed him in the neck and then the Sophon erased her from the footage, I don’t think it’s more complicated than that. No idea why Jack didn’t punch her in the face and run. Not sure if there’s a book explanation but that’s how the show portrays it, which doesn’t make sense because there’d be loads of other physical evidence.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

General Dog posted:

Surprised I haven't seen more mention of Ghost Ship (2002) in regard to that scene. Whether the scene is from the book or not, it's wildly similar in concept and execution.

I’m very glad it wasn’t just me who thought of that, it’s a pretty unique scene

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

I just don’t get why the aliens revealed themselves at all, if they had just sent the sophons and canceled particle physics, our science wouldn’t advance and we would never know the fleet was on the way, bing bang boom in 400 years they eradicate us no problem and they’re sipping drinks in the Bahamas littered with human corpses.

I actually like how much the show has made me think, even if the plot doesn’t pass muster when you get into it.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Tarnop posted:

In the book (minor book 1 spoilers) :words:

Thanks again for the context. Really appreciate the work you’ve been putting into the thread.

The conclusion I’m reaching is that I should just read the books.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Tarnop posted:

No problem! I think the books are pretty great, so you should definitely give them a try

I appreciate the response too. Every time I start a post with "well, in the books *open spoiler tag*" I wonder if this will be the post that gets people to tell me to shut the gently caress up about the books already, so it's nice to know that it's helpful

Lol well the show just leaves me with so many questions that are answered in the books, so I can’t blame you for that. Blame D&D.

After living through GoT, I’m not surprised, but i never read those books because they weren’t finished (and still are not). So I’ll probably read these books and then just try to enjoy the spectacle without wondering about all these details.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Hilario Baldness posted:

I just finished binge reading the first book and so far I'm fine with this adaptation.

I think a lot of the criticism about the adaptation should lie with the nature of streaming and in particular Netflix, which can be an incredibly mercurial producer to work with. They need to rush some plot poo poo along to get people on the hook to increase Netflix survivors or else they get tossed in the bin.

This is a good point re: Netflix because I feel like the show would’ve been better if it was weekly and we had time to stew/discuss/theorize.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Doltos posted:

I binged it all in two days and felt generally okay about doing it. Some mystery is fine but the show was engrossing enough to watch it all at once.

I'm not sure if it was the author or showrunner's intent but I hated every single main character of the friend group. Not their acting, that was all great, just the characters themselves. Saul being a selfish wastoid. Auggie being a dumb pawn that says okay to killing a cult and then being surprised and sad at the outcome. Will wasting all of his cash on a star for a girl that he had a crush on instead of remotely spending that money for good. Jin pretending to have loved Will after blowing him off forever for a crappy boyfriend. Jack was kind of okay but that's because he was killed off before he could do something selfish or stupid. It made them hard to cheer for or care about. I feel like everyone else in the show are far more intriguing.

The stars for sale is just a gimmick to raise money for the mission so the money goes to her project

Edit and to be clear I think Will’s secret love bullshit is the worst of the bunch, it’s very high school

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Them dethawing a chimp in a room full of people was pretty funny. You think he might be disoriented by this process? What do we think his reaction to being extremely disoriented would be?

I legit thought the chimp would turn violent before it barfed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Netflix (and, to a lesser extent, game of thrones) has ruined tv shows for me, i won’t start watching a show unless it has already finished. I thought this show was a mini-series or I’d never have started it. I was happy to learn the books are finished, at least.