Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

I loving hated the books and I think Benioff and Weiss should go to jail for inflicting Game of Thrones on the world, but I have to admit this show is pretty good so far. They're doing a good job building up the really strange mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

The books and the show want to feel like hard scifi but there's enough plot holes and inconsistencies to drive a truck through. Ultimately it's just having fun with ideas so don't worry too much about consistency or if things actually make sense in reality.

Overall I thought episodes 1-5 were pretty great, but 6-8 fell flat to the point where I was bored at times.

After the Eye in the Sky, most of the mystery from the first few episode is answered, and it feels like the show meanders around quite a lot until the Wallfacer stuff, which was a lot of fun. Felt like that should have been the major focus of the last three episodes to keep the momentum going. Will's plot had pretty good character work, but it seemed like a small and unimportant plan to focus on. And with the Wallfacer reveal only happening in ep 8, it feels definitely like everyone else has been working on the actually important stuff.

In a sense, the climax of the show already happened in episode 5, and the rest was epilogue.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

This show felt like some people heard about some cool science/tech concepts and then didn't look into it any further than the idea that it was cool. Like the human computer in the game. "Load program do the mcguffin dot exe". What the hell does that mean to a bunch of people holding signs? Someone heard that a computer is a bunch of 1s and 0s happening so the human computer is a bunch of people rotating their signs back and forth. How do they know when to flip their signs? Who knows, but it looks neat I guess. Then you have the other players in each level that I guess were other scientists from around the world? Why were they such douchebags?

If they make the other seasons I guess I'll watch but this felt like a big let down by the time it ended.
They definitely didn't explain it in the show, but the human computer works by logic gates. If you know you are an AND gate, you flip your flag to white if both dudes in front of you are white. Dude behinds you reacts to your flag as their input to their gate. And so on for different kinds of gates and different kinds of inputs. Combining huge amounts of those makes a computer.