Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

I still have the last episode to go but its proved an interesting watch so far. I haven't read the books so I don't have to the reference point of what could have been, but the early mention of the Fermi paradox and Dark Forest hypothesis was a bit of a series spoiler as any one with a passing familiarity could begin piecing it together. I wonder if that's why they almost rushed to that to get the audience thinking that way. I don't know how I feel about the characters (except for Wade who is awesome) as it felt like the series needed for them to have something 'to-do' at times without there ever really being a scene where they sit down and realise they are all involved in some way and discussing it.

I'm still a bit WTF about the Judgement Day scene, this still doesn't feel like the best way of solving their issue and left too much to chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

I feel like the way the Judgement Day scene is portrayed as well (slow moving, lots of running and screaming) makes it look about as affective as a squad of mercs would be, except with the nanowires you can't take any prisoners, kill a lot of children and potentially destroy everything you came for any way.

Yeah and the clean up operation didn't exactly look easy, when what they are looking for is somewhere here *gestures at large pile of steel*

Also wanted to add that a particular scene bothered me when you could see that the wreckage had cut through the ship horizontally but seemed to leave the vertical steel beams intact. Minor but that attention to detail caught my eye.

deported to Canada fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 22, 2024

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

I think it may be a little unfair to simplify this as "Chinese bad". My take is that it was a person who did this as they were unhappy with the present state of society/mankind, who just happened to be Chinese. I don't think this can be misconstrued as an attack on the Chinese people or that they as a people were the cause. Although it does make reference to her being dissatisfied with the cultural revolution which may be interpreted as a criticism of modern China.

Soviet Union could work I guess though, or you could just use the original wow signal. You would still need a disgruntled genius as the protagonist for it to make sense though.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

I understand what you mean. I guess I was trying to say that it wasn't a Chinese state decision to send the message and she did it without consulting anybody else or telling them until much later. As such, you couldn't say that China as a country/political party authorised for the message to be sent so the whole nation is now culpable for the consequences.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

It gets really good about 36mins in, just keep going buddy trust me

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

I'm not a scientist but part of me thinks if they could do that already then the 3 body problem wouldn't be an issue at all.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

cant cook creole bream posted:

Weirdly enough, this magic Sophon science may not be enough to prevent or even predict the chaotic state of their world.

And that's why I'm not a scientist. Good write up and explanation though, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

I think this issue occurs whenever somethings adapted from existing material such as book, those that haven't read it are told that it's explained in the book but we don't know if it's something that's yet to come up or if it's been forgotten or edited out to make changes.