Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
A whole movie where you're looking at a primate so it has to be convincing, using motion capture acting

vs

A minute or 2 of footage where it just has to be good enough

At the end of the day CGI is a money/time decision on how much it'll impact the final product

Edit: Honestly the rocket launch and "Mexico" CGI in the final episode were far more glaring and off-putting to me

jisforjosh fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

The 5th episode felt like such a great high point and ending (which from what I gather is where the 1st book ends?) and while there are some great plot developments and reveals in the remaining 3 episodes, it feels meandering a bit

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

These eight episodes also had roughly four times the runtime, and had to adjust their budgets for covid and delayed reshoots caused by the strike, and a bunch of considerable one-off technical effects and costumes, large actor budgets, and operated in an even more bloated industry that sucks up money like a vacuum cleaner, etc. etc.

On top of that, you're now dealing with an FX industry that's in far worse straits that it once was -- things cost more and look worse.

The monkey doesn't look photorealistic, but it moves nicely and communicates the essentials required by the scene. I don't get why this is such a big deal.

Almost exactly the arguments I was going to make. You're talking about ~$160m for 7 hours of content vs ~$130m ($93m 2011 dollars) for 1.75 hours.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

the guy from Marvel Slop

This better not be directed at Benedict Wong

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

counterfeitsaint posted:

I understand that gravity's effect is reduced by an inverse square of distance, but it's also technically without limit right? So really if you're calculating anything out, say, the movement of the Earth and moon to predict an eclipse, it's always a several body problem, even if most of those objects (the other planets in the system) are having very, very minor impacts. Is that not correct? Are the effects of other bodies in the system so minor as to be completely disregarded, even calculating far into the future? Even if you ignore everything else, something as straight forward as predicting the movements of the moon would be a three body problem, since you have the moon, the earth, and the sun.

Yes but you also have the gravity of every other planet is the solar system to consider. It's a non-zero impact and in a billion year timescale there is a noticeable effect but tge forces mostly cancel out in any meaningful time frame.