Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
If it's January in an even number year, it must be time for top-level teams around the world (and also scrub teams like, Liverpool.. hah! I kid!), to lose their players for a month to six weeks as it's time for the African Cup of Nations, and every time we do this, we get a reminder about how players are making sacrifices to play for their nation. No, we're not talking about voodoo or anything like that, this time. In this case, it's nearly losing an entire national team in a plane crash because the plane had no loving working oxygen.

That's right, far from the glamor jet flights of top level international football, we get tiny propeller based aircraft that have to turn around nine minutes into a flight because there was no loving oxygen working. Players were already falling unconscious due to lack of oxygen before the plane made an emergency landing.

Oh, and as an added "gently caress YOU", The Gambia (you have to say "The Gambia", right?) officials then tried to put them on the very same small propeller-based plane for the trip again, claiming the problem had been fixed.

Needless to say, the players said "gently caress NO" to that. and I don't blame em

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/39285300/gambia-players-staff-say-oxygen-failed-plane-afcon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ivory Coast looked decent in their first match, not as good as the Drogba/Yaya Toure era but still good.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

African
Football
Corrupt
Oh
No

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
incredible last minute bed making GBS threads from ghana there. wonder if they can get essien to come out of retirement.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

the hardest competition in the world imo

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Thassa pen

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion
Cape Verde, led by United legend Bébé, have already won their group ahead of Egypt, Ghana, and Mozambique.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Turns out he actually carved out a really nice career playing for relegation battlers in La Liga.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

love the guinean kits

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
“Bebé is just a late bloomer” or “goalie could’ve done better”? :whoptc:
https://twitter.com/meninblazers/status/1748361510563336404?s=46&t=Jl91I_6B7i5oyOtlhhpf1w

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
Mo will miss Egypt's next group game, and potentially the round of 16 match, with a hamstring strain. I hope Egypt get knocked out ASAP

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Mandrea is a funny name, for a man.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

paddyboat posted:

Baghdad is a funny name, for a man.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Feel it

Equatorial Guinea are here

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
3-0 lmao. Ivory coast in shambles

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
4-0 and the stewards are wading into the crowd. It's getting tasty

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

holy poo poo

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
They're Ivory Toast

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Côte d'Nah

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
afcon kicks rear end

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Fun ending to the moz-ghana game

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Nuclear Spoon posted:

afcon kicks rear end

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I thought the announcer might give himself a heart attack at the end of Egypt/Cape Verde, he was so excited. It was a pretty great last 10 minutes!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Nuclear Spoon posted:

afcon kicks rear end

This afcon has been so loving crazygoddamit. Cameroon Gambia was one of the craziest matches ever.

So many upsets in this event, similar to Asian Cup. Great for betting on underdogs lol.

Senegal to me see like the most well rounded team, great gk, good defense, midfield and Sadio Mane is the best forward of the tournament with Salah gone.

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March

Nuclear Spoon posted:

afcon kicks rear end

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

algeria?? more like byegeria

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Grimson posted:

algeria?? more like byegeria

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1HDZNR9cY4

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Holy gently caress Mauritania just beat Algeria like that ok.

This is an amazing tournament so far.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

we getting funny with it now

https://twitter.com/lequipe/status/1750539133187948762

ivory coast sacked their coach yesterday saying he didn't live up to their contract for failing to qualify for the r16 stage as they finished 3rd in the group. despite there still being a possibility of getting through as one of the four best third-placed teams in the groups. and of course thats what happened and now they're asking france to please lend them the womens national team coach until the end of the afcon.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Lmao

Agents with big cartoon dollar signs in their eyes at the prospect of a manager loan market

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

wtf lol

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Everyone wants a bit of Big Herve

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Grimson posted:

we getting funny with it now

https://twitter.com/lequipe/status/1750539133187948762

ivory coast sacked their coach yesterday saying he didn't live up to their contract for failing to qualify for the r16 stage as they finished 3rd in the group. despite there still being a possibility of getting through as one of the four best third-placed teams in the groups. and of course thats what happened and now they're asking france to please lend them the womens national team coach until the end of the afcon.

Unreal

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Shrapnig posted:

Everyone wants a bit of Big Herve

reminder of one of footballs greatest moments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdTS9q1RzuI

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Egypt AFCON star ruled out of next game with concussion after trying backflip in training
Egypt's most impressive midfielder Emam Ashour has been ruled out of the side's next fixture in another huge blow to the nation's hopes of winning the Africa Cup of Nations

An Africa Cup of Nations player has been ruled out of his country's next match after suffering a head injury while performing a backflip.
Emam Ashour has played a key role for Egypt at AFCON this month, playing all three group stage matches. He starred against Ghana and Cape Verde - but he has now been ruled out of the last-16 clash with DR Congo following a bizarre injury.
The 25-year-old will not feature on Sunday as a result of a concussion he suffered during training. It is reported that the central-midfielder landed on his head while performing a backflip.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
well. that's not great for angola

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nuclear Spoon posted:

well. that's not great for angola