Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
is it just me, or does operation paperclip get brought up a lot on cspam/the internet?

it seems like the go-to example of america being evil nazi sympathizers, and it's sometimes presented as like a red pill fact that will open normies' eyes to the sins of the US. but:

- the scientists we grabbed during operation paperclip mostly went on to work in the civilian space program, which certainly had its flaws but which is mostly viewed positively by the american public
- the scientists were all nazis but they don't really have any eye-grabbing, headline-worthy crimes. von braun benefited from slave labor and probably turned a blind eye to the horrors of the camps. same story for a lot of operation paperclip guys. that's horrible, but not really special. i'm not an expert, so if there are really heinous guys who got brought over, i'm interested in hearing about them, but i've never heard of anybody like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_von_Bolschwing, who organized huge pogroms during ww2 and then worked for the CIA in the 50s
- the soviets grabbed scientists in the exact same way in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Osoaviakhim

honest question: is there truly horrible stuff that i've missed in operation paperclip? i hate nazis but i've never really understood why this event in particular gets so much attention

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I think it's brought up mostly as shorthand, because we don't have an institutionally recognized historical position/framework/outlook that comports to the actual, historical reality of postwar American empire. At a basic level it exposes the contradiction between the domestic ideological conception of the US as the "good guys" taking a principled stand against nazism and fascism and us happily employing any useful nazi we could get our hands on in our efforts to destroy the Soviet Union and establish ourselves as the unquestioned global hegemon.

I think, along the lines you've mentioned, a better and more appropriate shorthand would be Gladio/the stay-behind networks which often employed and empowered some of the most depraved nazis, but I think one of the reasons it isn't is because it's just too uncomfortable and really difficult to digest unless you're already on that real destroy amerikkka tip.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Von Braun worked for the US army making missiles including heading the program that resulted in the first live nuclear ballistic missile tests.
He led a program in Germany dependent on slave labour, he said he could not change this and that's probably true but that doesn't mean he had to do it. Just following orders bullshit. Moreover, he reportedly ordered torture. These are not small crimes.

The Soviet prisoners were prisoners not well rewarded members of society.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
We also used those nazis to build NATO

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Mostly disappointment that we got missile technology out of it but not snappy Hugo Boss outfits

OrangéJéllo
Aug 31, 2001

Aglet56 posted:

is it just me, or does operation paperclip get brought up a lot on cspam/the internet?

it seems like the go-to example of america being evil nazi sympathizers, and it's sometimes presented as like a red pill fact that will open normies' eyes to the sins of the US. but:

- the scientists we grabbed during operation paperclip mostly went on to work in the civilian space program, which certainly had its flaws but which is mostly viewed positively by the american public
- the scientists were all nazis but they don't really have any eye-grabbing, headline-worthy crimes. von braun benefited from slave labor and probably turned a blind eye to the horrors of the camps. same story for a lot of operation paperclip guys. that's horrible, but not really special. i'm not an expert, so if there are really heinous guys who got brought over, i'm interested in hearing about them, but i've never heard of anybody like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_von_Bolschwing, who organized huge pogroms during ww2 and then worked for the CIA in the 50s
- the soviets grabbed scientists in the exact same way in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Osoaviakhim

honest question: is there truly horrible stuff that i've missed in operation paperclip? i hate nazis but i've never really understood why this event in particular gets so much attention

there are actually a myriad of ways that the soviets treated their captured scientists differently but the biggest is they were kept isolated from society and not allowed to be in leadership positions. They were also returned to germany after their years of work and not allowed to rise into the upper echelons of high society as happened here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Osoaviakhim

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
ive never seen this sourced, only talked about matter-of-factly by leftist twitter accounts but would like to know if its actually a well sourced thing or not

did von brauns factory regularly do public executions of their least productive slave laborers?

OrangéJéllo
Aug 31, 2001

fanfic insert posted:

ive never seen this sourced, only talked about matter-of-factly by leftist twitter accounts but would like to know if its actually a well sourced thing or not

did von brauns factory regularly do public executions of their least productive slave laborers?

https://dora.uah.edu/slavelabor.html

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Aglet56 posted:

civilian space program

:smugmrgw:

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

OrangéJéllo posted:

not allowed to rise into the upper echelons of high society as happened here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erich_Apel

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

There isnt really a clever name for the adoption of nazi doctrine into western militaries or the proliferation of nazis into european leadership, so people just kinda start and stop with Paperclip

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

it's because it was part of a suite of nazi stuff the us did post-ww2. paperclip, gladio, the rat lines to smuggle nazis out, using nazis as mercenaries, installing nazis in european governments, hiring nazis for the cia, etc.
it's an easy way to refer to the integration of nazism into america and its vassal states

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Aglet56 posted:

The space program was really a nuclear missile program and at the time the space program was not viewed nearly as positively as it is now. In the 70s fewer than half of Americans thought the space program was worth it.

That said, yeah looking at how much NATO leadership in the early years were just straight up nazis is more red pilly.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

it's cuz it's an easy name to remember op

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Also westerners can't understand malfeasance unless it's presented as a conspiracy theory, and joe rogan types love talking about it, bing bing bong you have a memetic attack vector

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Rocket scientist were just the visible portion of the iceberg. We also put Nazis I’m places of prominence in the governing structures of the US, NATO, and West Germany. Not to mention help them escape to South America where they probably played a minor role in the shenanigans the US was playing there.

We also did the same thing with Japanese War criminals, who helped us kick-start our germ warfare program and got put back into the ruling Liberal Democratic Party.

That they were so compatible should indicate how similar the US is to the Reich, and make you suspect of the foundations of this society.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Canada helped some nazis escape so the spirit of Bandera could live on and return to infest Ukraine, but I don't think it had a snappy name

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Operation Mapleclip

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Aglet56 posted:

We hired and enriched people who enriched themselves off the death of millions of people across four continents, op

How bad does something have to be to count as really bad for you?

"We secretly imported Nazis and inserted them into high level government positions after they killed millions of people for their own gain" seems like it's pretty bad on its own without any standout examples

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
none of these people ever explain why if we love nazis so much we never recruited Hitler after the war. He's the number one nazi!

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjDEsGZLbio

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

none of these people ever explain why if we love nazis so much we never recruited Hitler after the war. He's the number one nazi!

If you ask me, it's very telling how much the west vilified the guy who killed Hitler after the war. You think they'd at least give him a medal or something!

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

drat nazis being so good at math put us between a rock and a hard place

borgnar
Dec 30, 2018

on top of being responsible for some good tunes, tom lehrer claims credit for inventing the jello shot

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

:smugmrgw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hke7xQFXa30

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Aglet56 posted:

of course it is hard to find evidence of the worst offenders brought over via operation paperclip, because the programs they worked for in the usa the would be secret and the government didnt want to make public their previous war crimes.

but there are still some publicly known, like Hubertus Strughold, who was involved in human experimentation at Dachau and also suffocated some children to make them have seizures. he was sought as a war criminal by the US Army before getting scooped up in Paperclip

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubertus_Strughold

or Eric Traub who ran the Nazi bioweapons program and worked directly for Himmler. after Operation Paperclip he worked on the US bioweapons program.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erich_Traub

Trabisnikof has issued a correction as of 01:29 on Jan 13, 2024

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

of course it is hard to find evidence of the worst offenders brought over via operation paperclip, because the programs they worked for in the would be secret and the government didnt want to make public their previous war crimes.

but there are still some publicly known, like Hubertus Strughold, who was involved in human experimentation at Dachau and also sufficated some children to make them have seizure. he was sought as a war criminal by the US Army before getting scooped up in Paperclip

or Eric Traub who ran the Nazi bioweapons program and worked directly for Himmler. after Operation Paperclip he worked on the US bioweapons program.

Aglet56 posted:

- the scientists we grabbed during operation paperclip mostly went on to

you can hide a whole lot of crimes against humanity in "mostly"

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

of course it is hard to find evidence of the worst offenders brought over via operation paperclip, because the programs they worked for in the would be secret and the government didnt want to make public their previous war crimes.

but there are still some publicly known, like Hubertus Strughold, who was involved in human experimentation at Dachau and also sufficated some children to make them have seizure. he was sought as a war criminal by the US Army before getting scooped up in Paperclip

okay these are pretty heinous

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

I think, along the lines you've mentioned, a better and more appropriate shorthand would be Gladio/the stay-behind networks which often employed and empowered some of the most depraved nazis, but I think one of the reasons it isn't is because it's just too uncomfortable and really difficult to digest unless you're already on that real destroy amerikkka tip.

Gladio is also a huge fuckin mess where we don't know a lot for certain and just explaining it makes you sound nuts, while paperclip is entirely agreed-upon public knowledge

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

We also used those nazis to build NATO

those were different nazis I believe

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

StashAugustine posted:

Gladio is also a huge fuckin mess where we don't know a lot for certain and just explaining it makes you sound nuts, while paperclip is entirely agreed-upon public knowledge

it’s pretty much this. even to this day, most libs (eg d&d, ‘kos, reddits etc) think it’s all a fake Bigfoot ufo conspiracy by teh tankies, and actually cia is woke. mentioning gladio is a good way to out yourself as a art bell morgellons conspiracy wacko

but Havana syndrome is 100% real

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
then again lot of ppl still don’t believe paperclip

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

"russian propaganda, obviously"

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
it would bother me if i found out the allies gave the nazis jobs instead of bringing them to justice

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah that's true. You need to fill in a lot of the blanks and if you don't have a working understanding of class and power you just won't be able to do it and it'll sound like insane conspiracy theory bullshit. But also if you have a working understanding of class and power you won't need to be convinced that the US is bad by Gladio because you'll no longer be a liberal

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Raldikuk posted:

The space program was really a nuclear missile program and at the time the space program was not viewed nearly as positively as it is now. In the 70s fewer than half of Americans thought the space program was worth it.

That said, yeah looking at how much NATO leadership in the early years were just straight up nazis is more red pilly.

It is funny that Tom Leher's song about Von Braun was the first indication I ever had that contemporary people thought the space race was a waste of money and I was in my 20s

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

KomradeX posted:

It is funny that Tom Leher's song about Von Braun was the first indication I ever had that contemporary people thought the space race was a waste of money and I was in my 20s

Whitey on The Moon

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
speaking of utilizing nazis, the east german NDPD was designed to appeal to ex-wehrmacht, nazis, and nationalists and align them with SED policies. Stalin was a little too enthusiastic about this and wanted to let them publish the Völkischer Beobachter again.

mostly everyone else was quietly like uhh wait. what the gently caress? You can't just like, capture the nazi party and use it to your own purposes like in pokemon Stalin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Nix Panicus posted:

If you ask me, it's very telling how much the west vilified the guy who killed Hitler after the war. You think they'd at least give him a medal or something!

Canada is working on it, I'm sure