Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

What is Anbennar?

Anbennar is a fantasy mod for paradox map game Europa Universalis 4. To quote its steam page:
“Anbennar is set in a fantasy world evoking themes from D&D, but through lens and time period of a strategy game like EU4. See how a fantasy world changes from an age of adventurers and good vs. evil to an age of gunpowder, colonialism and magical decadence”

Originally started by one man (JayBean) as a passion project, it now has a fairly big community and a bunch of devs working on it. Its updates are frankly huge and, in many ways, it has more content than base EU4. It has a patreon and even a merch store!

There’s been a of couple Anbennar LP's so far. The og run, A great deal of ruin in a nation, by MonsieurChoc, and then Sybot's multi-playthrough series, Legacy of the Golden Dragon. Sybot graciously let me steal a lot of his opening opening post and formatting for my own LP, after he borrowed it from MonsieurChoc. Why mess with perfection ya?

There’s a lot of stuff in this mod: huge Mission trees, new Religions, new Mechanics, etc.

New Mechanics?

Oh yes. There’s a lot of new mechanics for this mod. We’ll get more details as we encounter them during the game, but here’s a quick overview (again, thank you to MonsieurChoc for originally writing these out!):

- Fantasy Races! Every country gets a modifier for who’s in charge of the administration and who makes up the bulk of the armies (they can be two different races!), and every province has one or more modifiers representing the majority and minority(ies) present in the province that have positives and negatives depending on how much you accept each race.
- Magic! The Mage estate is available to all countries with mages and can be used to cast spells for various effects. Also, if your ruler is a Mage you get the Ruler Magic menu from which you get access to all kinds of unique spells depending on which of the 8 schools of magic they know.
- Artificers! Usually shows up in the late game but some countries and/or races get access early. You can research inventions that buff your nation or special artificer infantry.
- New Government Reforms! There’s a lot, some of which are unique to certain Mission Trees.
- Dwarven Holds! Deep in the Mountains are these huge dwarven cities built over centuries. They can be expanded by DIGGING DEEPER.
- Expeditions! In the mountains you can also send troops to look for treasure. Hope you gave them enough supplies, or maybe they’ll never return. Maybe you’ll even find a Dungeon?
- Disasters! So many new disasters. Many are unique to certain regions, races or even specific nation Mission trees.
- There’s also special mechanics available only to specific regions or nations, like the Raj or the Sunrise Convocation. Those we’ll see if they come up.
- Monstrous nations! Monstrous is more of a social and political distinction than anything else. Some nations are considered monstrous, with unique CBs both for and against them, and can de-monsterize eventually to be seen the same as any other non-monstrous nation.

How this LP will work

This will be a CYOA style LP with a casual narrative focus. I'm much more of a Game Room poster as opposed to an LP poster and this game will reflect that. While I'll often explain the mechanics of the choices and events taking place, in spoilers probably, I'll be mostly keeping to an in-character narrative supplemented by both in-game screenshots and random pictures off pinterest as a visual aid.

I'm a fairly seasoned EU4 player, so I'll give plenty of leeway to the voters to derail the runthrough, and avoid spelling out too clearly the optimal choice. A glorious ruin is more entertaining than a nonstop string of successes. Which is why you should pick Gor Burad

Spoiler Policy

As mentioned, there are a lot of unique events, mechanics and disasters throughout this mod. I would prefer for spoilers on anything that hasn’t already been mentioned within the LP itself be limited and kept within spoiler tags if they are brought up.

While we will be touching quite deeply on the events within our region, there will also be events going on in the rest of the world that may not be entirely elaborated on and I would like to leave a bit of mystery for future LPs, whether by myself or others. So, in that regard the policy applies not just to events that impact our nation directly, but to others as well.

What is free to discuss is anything that happens up to the game start. Ancient lore, existing characters, national histories. Anything that you could find by looking at the starting map or the Anbennar Wiki is fair game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
placeholder

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Let's pick a nation shall we?

Blackbeard Cartel -> Gor Bûrad

You must be ready to burn yourself in your own flame;
how could you rise anew if you have not first become ashes?

A tall and imposing hold known for it's charred black walls, Gor Bûrad, aka Firetop Mountain, is centered around a lava pit that feeds the volcano above. In days of yore the "Basalt Dwarves" were known as the most wroth of dwarvenkind, a race already not known for their level tempers. Isolated at a dead-end branch of Serpentsreach, Gor Bûrad's only neighbors are other dwarves, some unorganized kobolds, and a handful of weak goblinoid clans, giving them free reign to build their hold in peace. After all why would there ever be any need to go to war with the other holds of Serpentsreach?

Company of Duran Blueshield -> Dûr-Vazhatun

Twinkle twinkle little star.
How I wonder what you are.

Dûr-Vazhatun, home of the Sky Watchers, was one of the few holds that had an interest in affairs beyond the surface. Known for it's ancient observatory, Dûr-Vazhatun was known as the place where the esoterics and philosophers of the Dwarovar once congregated. A tempting target for an ambitious dwarven adventurer to be sure. But the hold is on the far end of the Serpentspine, surrounded on all sides by black orcs, goblins, ogres, and trolls. The sole mote of civilization in the region is an iced over former dwarven penal colony thats not even connected to the rest of the Serpentspine. And rumors abound of the "Astral Madness" that brought about the final collapse of the hold in ancient days.

Mountainshark

WE ARE NOT THE FIRST! WE ARE NOT THE ONLY! ALL GOBLINS WILL SOON BE FREE!!

Once upon a time all goblins in the Serpentspine were nothing but miserable slaves to other races. Trolls, Hobgoblins, Ogres, Orcs, Dwarves. All of them the same abusive, murderous overlords, though special hatred is reserved for the black orcs. But in the wake of the Greentide that all changed. Glozok the "Great Shark" and his followers rebelled and freed the Rustroad Goblins from bondage. Though the clans have long dispersed and Glozok is long dead, the Mountainshark clan stays true to the ideals of the Great Shark, and dream of a world free of bondage.

Railskulker

I was there when the first dreams came off the assembly line...

In the aftermath of the goblin's rebellion against the black orcs, the Rustroad clan that would become known as the Railskulkers followed the Dwarovrod to where the rails all met at a great junction: Er-Natvir. The hold and surrounding caverns were heavily laden with fungi of all sorts, and the Railskulkers swelled in numbers and territory, and are now the strongest of the Rustroad clans. Free of worries about food and security, they've begun to ponder the ancient mechanical wonders they live among. Could they be rebuilt? Could they be improved? Inquiring minds have just got to know!

Jaddari

The wind has teeth!

When the last child of Jaher the Sun King died, various Governors and warlords began to pick the Phoenix Empire apart for their own selfish aspirations. To legitimize their despotic rule they warped the true faith of Surael to their ends, declaring Jaher the god's living reincarnation, and elvenkind as a whole divine. As a consequence the Phoenix Empire is naught but a memory, and it's Bulwar heartlands are divided between a dozens feuding fiefdoms, even as the region is slowly reconquered by demon-worshipping gnolls hellbent on sacrificing it's population to their infernal patrons. But not all is lost! Jexis the Burned Empress' sole child, Jaddar, still leads the last of the old legions of the Pheonix Empire in the deserts of the east. Should he survive the onslaught of Zokka the Sun-Eater, he has every intention of overthrowing the unjust rule of his mother's wayward administrators and their blasphemous false religion. All will be equal beneath the gaze of Surael!

Company of the Thorne -> Luciande

Blood will flow

Lucian Sil na Toars has come to Escann with his dreaded Company of Thorns for a dream. A dream of a land free of prying eyes. A dream of a realm with no rules or boundaries. A dream of dark forests where blood literally rains from the skies. The greatest hunting grounds a seasoned vampire could ever ask for. Lucian has always chafed under the restrictions and paranoia of the Masquerade, and the insufferable preening of other vampiric lords, and if all goes well, he'll do away with both before all is said and done.

Isobelin

If you can make it there, you can make it anywhere

Roilsard was a proud nation once, until the Derranians left them to die during the Lilac Wars. Now dominated and humiliated by both the Lorentians and the Empire, many of the Roilsardi nobility seek a fresh start. Under the leadership of the widow Isobel sil Isobelin, they've set sail to the ruined lands of Aelantir to build a new country free of subjugation, enslavement, and the loving Lorentish. Surrounded on all sides by competitors eager to subjugate and slaughter their ruinborn allies, Isobelin must balance protecting their native ruinborn allies, and protecting themselves (and their pocketbooks).
Obrtrol

The last true children of the Giants

The Fjord Trolls, like the Ogres far to the east, were a servant race to the long-dead Giants, serving as their frontline soldiers. Unlike the treacherous gorgers, however, the Trolls stayed loyal even after the Ogres devoured their masters. In recent centuries a new puny threat has pushed the Obrtroll into near extinction, barely clinging to a miserable spit of land on the mountainous arctic coast of Gerudia. Cheiftess Svala "the Crusher" would see the humans driven back, and a new Giant Empire built in the ruins of their giganticidal kingdoms.

The Command

One people. One Command.

Centuries of desperation and military conflict have lead to the reformation of hobgoblin society into a strict military hierarchy which now dominates the former dwarven Jade Mines and their uncivilized goblinoid cousins. Bitter experience has embedded within them a deep hatred of both gods and mages, abolishing the first and enslaving the second. At the same time the two great empires to their south have begun to rot from within, decentralizing into polyglot confusion and gardenplot provinces in nominal vassalage to decadent and degenerate imperial overlords. Their people crave the discipline and order the Command offers, and Grand Marshal Moguwan Wolfborn is honorbound to give it to them.

Vote

Voting will be done through strawpoll. For nation selection you get *two* votes.

:siren:Vote or die:siren:

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Obrtryol

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Ooh! More Anbennar! Me like.

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
Voted for angry volcano dwarf boys. Haven't had a chance to play them yet, but their mission tree and mechanics look neat.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Sybot posted:

Voted for angry volcano dwarf boys. Haven't had a chance to play them yet, but their mission tree and mechanics look neat.

permanent +10 to unrest is certainly a playstyle choice, ill say that much

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
WHat the hell, I'm the only vote for the Railskulkers? Come on guys, technology! Goblins! GOBLINS WITH TECHNOLOGY! What's not to like?!

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

WHat the hell, I'm the only vote for the Railskulkers? Come on guys, technology! Goblins! GOBLINS WITH TECHNOLOGY! What's not to like?!

Voted for both goblins because hell ya either way we do goblins

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Dur Vazhatun

Lets get lovecraftian. With dwarves! Mountainshark I’ve also been curious about.

Really basically anyone but the Command they are the lamest thing in Anbennar :v:

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Jan 12, 2024

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Anbennar is fun! Bookmarked.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

CommissarMega posted:

good news!

tho its gonna keep running until at least tonight

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Voted for The Command and Company of the Thorn because they both have huge mission trees(well, Castanor does but what self respecting vampire lord doesn't want to have their own fantasy-roman empire?) that look very interesting but they're also for the late game and two hyper blobby countries and I've run out of steam trying to manage that through the lag.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Could I vote for not using [timg] :v: It's not really needed anymore and it's tedious to click on every image.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

Voted for The Command and Company of the Thorn because they both have huge mission trees(well, Castanor does but what self respecting vampire lord doesn't want to have their own fantasy-roman empire?) that look very interesting but they're also for the late game and two hyper blobby countries and I've run out of steam trying to manage that through the lag.

Company of the Thorn seems like it would make more sense to segue into Black Demense imo.

But maybe that’s just my “Castanor’s MT is just entirely too much” speaking

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

GunnerJ posted:

Could I vote for not using [timg] :v: It's not really needed anymore and it's tedious to click on every image.

the large number of map images seemed like a bit much to leave full sized, probably won't be necessary from here on out

e: last call for votes, makin the choice after morning (istanbul time) chores

Zedhe Khoja fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 14, 2024

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Orbtrol

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Alright put on your phrygian caps and pick up your harquebuses, because we're playin the goblin revolutionaries of the Mountainshark clan.

e: goddamnit someone went and tied it with the other gobbo clan

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Alright put on your phrygian caps and pick up your harquebuses, because we're playin the goblin revolutionaries of the Mountainshark clan.

e: goddamnit someone went and tied it with the other gobbo clan

I broke the tie for you.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Zurai posted:

I broke the tie for you.

excellent post/av combo. mountainsharks it is

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Captain Oblivious posted:

Dur Vazhatun

Lets get lovecraftian. With dwarves! Mountainshark I’ve also been curious about.

Really basically anyone but the Command they are the lamest thing in Anbennar :v:

They're up there.

They're watching us.

They know we know.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
More like MOUNTAINSTINK

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Hell yeah Mountainshark

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
e: oops

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

More like Mountainshart.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
A Brief History of the Serpentspine

Since time immemorial the goblins have lived in the Serpentspine. They are the native people of it's vast caverns and narrow ravines. They have always been here.

Some twentyfive to thirty thousand years ago the dwarves were created at Earthseed in the Tree of Stone, in the far southeast, and with the aid of their gods carved out the first and most ancient empire of Halann: Aul-Dwarov.

But the goblins were still there, and no matter how the dwarves slaughtered and enslaved and deprived, they could never fully remove them from their home. Even during the height of dwarven power, the tunnels of Aul-Dwarov were subject to endless goblin raids and vandalism.

Seven thousand years ago the aggressive and bloodthirsty Elven Precursors and the already crumbling Aul-Dwarov empire went to war. The dwarves lost, due to the elven warlord Ducaniel creating the orcs as cheap cannonfodder.

Ducaniel returns to, and destroys, the Precursor Empire in the Day of Ashen Skies. The triumphant orcs take over the Serpentspine. A new reign of terror begins for the goblins, who are brutally enslaved.

Millenia passes. The orcs somehow fail to build any society or structures of note. And then twenty years ago, in 1424, the orc Korgus declares himself the son of the orcish deity "Dookan" and leads the Greentide, a mass messianic exodus of orcs from the Serpentspine to conquer the region of Escann, ultimately ending in Korgus' defeat, but not before destroying every human kingdom in Escann.

Now vastly outnumbering the orcs, the rustroad goblins rise up under the revolutionary Glozok "The Shark" (some clans dispute who led the uprising, but we know the truth) The fighting is brutal, and ultimately Glozok himself falls in the fighting, but the revolt succeeds.

Victorious, the rustroad goblins fragment into four clans: the ingenious Railskulkers, the eccentric Snotfingers, the murderous Truedaggers, and the auspicious Mountainsharks. (That’s us!) Which brings us to the current day.

Zedhe Khoja fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 17, 2024

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Chapter One: Mithradhum

Nopels frowned as she went back over her battleplan. It wasn't that she doubted the fighting ability of her men. Her generals were the most violent of goblins, and she the most bloodthirsty of bosses.

It was that the she wouldn't be leading the boys herself. The Mountainsharks might have been open to a young woman being the Boss. She had known uncle Glozok personally as child after all. But she was still a woman, and 'women don't fight'. What a bunch of bullshit. All the military talent in the world thrown onto the trashpile, and all so Dramkork 'the Handsome' could steal her glory. But they needed to storm this place, the faster the better, so reforming gender roles in goblin society would have to wait. Clans like the Snotfingers might be content to hunker down in a cave and get blitzed off mushrooms every day, but Nopels knew that Glozok's revolution had merely bought them a respite. Dwarves and orc remnants were already starting to stream back into the Serpentspine, and they'd need a true base of power if they wanted to stay free. Hence their conquest of Mithradhum.

It'll about do.
From her vantage point outside the hold she watched and waited while the battle unfolded. It went about as she expected. Instead of fighting a defensive battle from inside the hold, the mindless orc savages had spilled out of the gates in a heap upon being challenged by "weaker" foes. Whereupon Dramkork's spider-riders ran them down and slaughtered them.

Time to tally up the booty.

First and foremost is the hold of Mithradhum itself. Nopels had "persuaded" a dwarven adventurer to reveal what they knew of the surrounding holds, and he'd insisted Mithradhum had been the old headquarters. It was a nice enough hold sure, but not as nice as the grand scrapyard the Railskulkers had claimed. Disappointing.

Add to that the orcs had left it an unproductive ruin, so it'd be years and untold resources before it produced a single coin for the Mountainsharks. But in the center of the hold they found what they were looking for.

The tomb of Thorin Goblinslayer. With a name like that you don't have to guess what he was famous for. Located in the entrance hall of a grand structure filled with all sorts of crumbling books, training rooms, and stone inscriptions: The Goblinslayer Academy!

Oh Sweet Zemna. Even as Nopels was tabulating the (insane... but necessary) cost of getting the academy functional again a runner came from the exploration teams deeper in the hold. Extensive mineshafts had been uncovered. And the already excavated ore, left where it'd been when the hold had been abandoned by the dwarves, was even more breathtaking than the academy had been.

Mithril...
Currently the only mine in the whole world that produced even the tiniest trickle of mithril was controlled by the hobgoblin Command, for the exclusive use of their senior officers. The mines of Mithradhum would give the Mountainsharks an effective monopoly on one of the most valuable substances known to man or goblin. To say nothing of the military benefits.

It was clear to Nopels that the mines would have to take priority over everything else. But it was gonna take alot of coin to get this operation it's feet, more than Nopels had. Far more. Thirty years of current income more. So she did what any Clanboss would in her position: She debased herself.

She offered a greatly increased share of spoils (two times nothing is still nothing) to the tribes,

and greater self-rulership (that they already had, frankly) for the chieftains. She borrowed. She begged.

She sold titles (how does Grand Admiral Dramkork sound?), lands (that produced nothing and would be revoked the second they did), and future stakes in the mithril mining concern. She watered down the silver in the Clan treasury with lead. And when she'd finally sold all the nothing she had, she she just barely had enough coin to pay her workers to begin restoration.

Currently projected to take five years.

Five years of extreme poverty.
Even so there were a few things that could be achieved in the meantime. First and foremost, we gotta thank a god for all this. Goblins are surprisingly devout and it would be bad luck not to, frankly. Now goblins have a lot of gods. ALOT of gods. And they're always coming up with new ones. But right now the Mountainsharks worship four:
Kroozmuta Zemna (Grandmother Earth): She is the personification of Halann itself, and the oldest goddess in the pantheon. She is in charge of the underworld, explaining why it is believed that the worst regions of hell are reserved for those who betray their mother. She is primarily worshipped by cavedwelling goblins, as the others abandoned her after leaving the caves. (army upkeep reduction and reduced attrition, not terrible if we get in a proper war)

Kroozbuto Nubo (Grandfather Sky): The second oldest god and the father of all stars, his heavenly domain is located in the milky way. He ended up being demoted to the god of rain and winds after he was overthrown by his children, and passively aggressively throws storms at Halann whenever he gets irritiable and thinks he can get away with it. [spoiler](Trade Steering and army movement speed. Neither do anything for us atm)

Vortza Krpa (Lady Cloth): The goddess of weaving, trade, and craftsmanship generally. As the daughter of Strahllena and Blexim, she was raised by the other gods who tossed her around like a hot potato. This allowed her to learn a little bit of all their trades. Ended up marrying Wezariff for business reasons. (I.E. in exchange for him to stop constantly robbing her.) (Development Cost and Trade Efficiency, we get pretty much nothing from trade right now, but we're about to slam a bunch of points into developing our capital to forcespawn feudalism)

Vortzo Liezmo (Lord Fire): As the god of fire, furnaces, and industry, he is the protector of smiths and miners who supply them with their material. It is said that he managed to trick Kroozmuta Zemna into allowing those who plundered Halann, her realm, into the good parts of the afterlife. This makes him commonly venerated among cave goblin miners. (Production Efficiency, given we produce a massive amount of the most valuable trade good this a pretty good one)

Secondly, our enemies never rest and neither shall the Mountainsharks. We need to expand into the empty (of goblins we respect) caverns around us immediately before someone else gets there first. At the moment we can only expand in one direction though.
To our north is Trueforge Hall, and beyond that the entrances to Escann, and all the orks and dwarves we hate.
To our South is Valourmount, and beyond that the Railskulkers and who knows what else beyond them.
To our west are empty rails of the Dwarovrod.

:siren:Vote or die:siren:
Vote 1

Vote 2

Zedhe Khoja fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 17, 2024

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
also: in case your wondering about the overall view. We have one province and have no knowledge of any other political entities.

in fact we're only aware of five provinces total. by the same token, though, no one is aware of our existance as of yet. there are advantages to things staying that way while we're in crippling debt and economic deprivation. timewise, a single tick has passed, solely to kill off the orc squatters you need to clear out at start.

Zedhe Khoja fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 17, 2024

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Vote 1

Vote 2

Don't timg the vote pictures if you want them to work properly.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
woops fix'd

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Is that Goblinslayer Academy from the dwarven monuments submod? Looks truly bananas

Heckin’ good start tho

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Captain Oblivious posted:

Is that Goblinslayer Academy from the dwarven monuments submod? Looks truly bananas

Heckin’ good start tho

by the time we can afford it we'll probably be the All-Clan, and it'll just be one more banana in the bunch tbh.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Welp missed the chance to write-in Roadwarriors. Oh well will be watching this thread too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Eh, Roadwarrior is certainly fun to play, but I don't think their mechanics are conducive to a narrative LP. Any plot would really just boil down to 'haha murder train goes brrrr'