Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

You don't need to be working so hard billing so much time I want to see this thread pushing more down to the resource and letting them take ownership

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
WHEELHOUSE

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Chinatown posted:

WHEELHOUSE

couldn't be in mine

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Chinatown posted:

WHEELHOUSE

your wheelhouse is not my bailiwick

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Give me the 10,000 foot view.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
“Complicated case”
“Ins and outs”
“What-have-yous”
“Strands to keep track of in my head”

I hate that poo poo

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I just want the thumbnail sketch

But take ownership!

Gene Ricman
Aug 14, 2008
can I stop you there - park that idea for the time being, we really just need to deliver on some quick wins for our key stakeholders if we want to move the dial on this

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

ElectricSheep posted:

your wheelhouse is not my bailiwick

your bailiwick isn't my forte.

YOU DO IT

I like circle back :( It can mean "I'm too busy, I'll get back with you", "Uhhh... I dunno, I'll get back with you", or "You can believe I'll find you later and answer, but I'll be gone for the day, sucker"

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

blight rhino posted:

I like circle back :( It can mean "I'm too busy, I'll get back with you", "Uhhh... I dunno, I'll get back with you", or "You can believe I'll find you later and answer, but I'll be gone for the day, sucker"

A lot of these are fine in the right context, but it's still funny

We can touch base again next week

Don't forget the due outs

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

thanks everyone, these are great. I'm going to start using these as obnoxiously and as frequently as I can

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
All right, Looks like we covered all the agenda items and we have a whole 1 minute left. I'll give everyone some time back for today. If anyone has questions on their action items for next week, just Slack me or check the SharePoint site.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The only thing I ever hear in meetings is "It is not in the budget at this time". Meanwhile the CEO takes home 20million a year. Oh and this is American healthcare, it's fine.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I saw the phrase "core competencies" decades ago in like a book somewhere, but I've never heard it used in a real world environment. anyone heard of this one? what the gently caress is that even supposed to mean?

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

beefing on

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Let's give everyone a couple of minutes to join this thread

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have any fun weekend plans? Aww look, Bob’s baby is on camera everyone say hi!!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Mental Hospitality posted:

The only thing I ever hear in meetings is "It is not in the budget at this time". Meanwhile the CEO takes home 20million a year. Oh and this is American healthcare, it's fine.

Lol babby’s first CEO making only 20 mill :jerkbag:

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

kalel posted:

I saw the phrase "core competencies" decades ago in like a book somewhere, but I've never heard it used in a real world environment. anyone heard of this one? what the gently caress is that even supposed to mean?

It's a fig leaf. Saying you are bad at something is bad for business. Instead, you're really good at a handful of things (your core competencies.) A reader versed in corporate subtextuality will see your list and immediately understand you're poo poo at everything not on it (and to not ask about those things.)

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

kalel posted:

Yes I've heard this irl

It means different things in different contexts, or nothing sometimes

It's like...

Need to haves (vs nice to haves)

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Zybourne Clock posted:

It's a fig leaf. Saying you are bad at something is bad for business. Instead, you're really good at a handful of things (your core competencies.) A reader versed in corporate subtextuality will see your list and immediately understand you're poo poo at everything not on it (and to not ask about those things.)

maybeadracula posted:

Yes I've heard this irl

It means different things in different contexts, or nothing sometimes

It's like...

Need to haves (vs nice to haves)

thanks folks, let's go to ground and schedule a follow-up KT* if needed for the rest of the stakeholders

*knowledge transfer. because there weren't enough loving acronyms already

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

kalel posted:

thanks folks, let's go to ground and schedule a follow-up KT* if needed for the rest of the stakeholders

these type of acronyms piss me off so much. they're often acronyms because it's like a loving string off words that describe a simple concept that we already have a single word for. and guess what, when you use that word, nobody asks "what does that stand for? ah i see, and what does that mean? ah okay, like [simpler word]". overcomplication of language in pursuit of some faux intellectualism is a trigger for me, esp in a work environment. im an engineer so i have to push back against jargon constantly. if im with engineers, i use the jargon i need to because i know they know and the specificity of our language is important. when sales or manager guys are talking to the customer with this bullshit jargon and more bullshit they made up i roll my eyes so loving hard

for some reason that type of poo poo is incredibly perverse in education right now too. i have a teacher friend who is always whipping out the latest acronym to describe some simple concept or a group of people and i have to ask every single time what this new alphabet soup term is

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007
Let's have a meeting to discuss what we're going to discuss next meeting

Gene Ricman
Aug 14, 2008
I know we've overrun here, but are you free to carry on for the next 60 minutes so we can continue to discuss this issue, whilst simultaneously making absolutely no progress whatsoever on resolving it? thanks

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

these type of acronyms piss me off so much. they're often acronyms because it's like a loving string off words that describe a simple concept that we already have a single word for. and guess what, when you use that word, nobody asks "what does that stand for? ah i see, and what does that mean? ah okay, like [simpler word]". overcomplication of language in pursuit of some faux intellectualism is a trigger for me, esp in a work environment. im an engineer so i have to push back against jargon constantly. if im with engineers, i use the jargon i need to because i know they know and the specificity of our language is important. when sales or manager guys are talking to the customer with this bullshit jargon and more bullshit they made up i roll my eyes so loving hard

for some reason that type of poo poo is incredibly perverse in education right now too. i have a teacher friend who is always whipping out the latest acronym to describe some simple concept or a group of people and i have to ask every single time what this new alphabet soup term is

Great... okay, great. So if you could, um, just put these concerns, as, um, individual line items—[audio cuts out just long enough that everyone on the call thinks my internet died]—eadsheet, that would be really great. Thankssss

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Zybourne Clock posted:

Yeah, bringing up "core competencies" is a nice-sounding way to say either "we're a videogame company, what are we opening up a loving restaurant for" or "I'm lazy and I don't really want to learn anything I'm not already good in."

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
I do not wish to square any circles, tyvm.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

kalel posted:

Great... okay, great. So if you could, um, just put these concerns, as, um, individual line items—[audio cuts out just long enough that everyone on the call thinks my internet died]—eadsheet, that would be really great. Thankssss

im mad about acronyms

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
You need to execute on your deliverables because you don't want to be the long pole, Steve.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
All right let's do the needful.

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Did anyone loop in the Product team on this? We might want to get their input before we make any decisions in this one.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Stryder posted:

You need to execute on your deliverables because you don't want to be the long pole, Steve.

I'm trying my best okay :qq:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

manpurse posted:

Let's have a meeting to discuss what we're going to discuss next meeting

Thanks for the email explaining with a very clear explanation. Can we please have a meeting to discuss this email?

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
We're gonna need sign-off from the PO before we can proceed.

databasic
Jan 8, 2024

kalel posted:

What's a "follow-up Kael'Thas"?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
gbs we need to gain confidence in our key post pipelines before moving forward.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

https://i.imgur.com/LxxfMhd.mp4

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Hey Folks,

Well I know today was rough for us and our now former colleagues. Let's be respectful and give them some space, but also remember to keep confidentiality when discussing the company in friendly conversations. We'll be sending an invite for a mandatory All Hands starting at 8 a.m. Monday morning. In office attendance is mandatory for this meeting so talk to your manager about parking and shuttle arrangements. Anyone that had PTO booked for Monday will need to re-book this time with their manager or take an extra half lieu day.

Your manager will be meeting with all their reports today to review departmental KPIs and discuss how we can use KCS methodology to increase ROI.

Go Team!

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
I used to hear “mission critical” a lot but often in advertising speak.

I do hear “generate content” frequently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

The customer facing isn't rendering our content properly and we outsourced all the people who built the database to Indonesia 4 years ago. Nobody knows how to fix it.