Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
alignment
while we were aligning
getting everyone aligned

I just hate the word aligned at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!

Bonzo posted:

check the SharePoint site.

Anybody in management that promotes the use of sharepoint should be tried for war crimes

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

runway

bandwidth

align / alignment

boots on the ground

let's chat live about this

most of these are pre-covid out of date office speak but still used today i find

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

One of the benefits of learning corpospeak is if you use it when talking to a junior corpo, they tend to fall in line with whatever you're asking. Speaking fluent corpo is a valuable skill.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I was in a meeting once and heard a manager say "We need to focus on activating our users across all verticals" and I had to fight not to crack up in front of everybody.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Let's right click on this topic and open it in a new tab. For now I want spend some time discussing our NPS score.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Smugworth posted:

One of the benefits of learning corpospeak is if you use it when talking to a junior corpo, they tend to fall in line with whatever you're asking. Speaking fluent corpo is a valuable skill.

i found myself landing some good corpospeak in an interview today and I feel gross

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
we dont have to boil the ocean here

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
we need someone who is nuts to soup on this

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Those Goddamn Rainbows Are At It Again

going forward this thread needs to increase lean-in focus on our core deliverables, which will mean getting a steer from seniors on the policy direction before we issue a condoc to key stakeholders

I have worked in government and government-adjacent roles for twenty years and my mind has gone

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

MoonshineWilly posted:

Anybody in management that promotes the use of sharepoint should be tried for war crimes

I make a lot of money IRL to unfuck places that created 10,000,000.314 SharePoint sites at the start of the pandemic.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

kalel posted:

thanks folks, let's go to ground and schedule a follow-up KT* if needed for the rest of the stakeholders

*knowledge transfer. because there weren't enough loving acronyms already

I work in a highly regulated industry and my favorite thing to explain to new employees is the nesting doll acronyms, some of which are pronounced in a way that barely resemble what they stand for and what they stand for tells you absolutely nothing more.

"That was explained in the DROP"
"DROP?"
"Department Regulatory Operational Procedure"
"What is that?"
"Ugh, you know from the WASTA"
"What is the WASTA?"
"Um, The Washington Technical Authority"
"What the gently caress is The Washington Technical Authority?"
"OMG, do you know anything? They are the subcommittee of the BLOP"
"OK seriously, are you loving with me, what is the BLOP?"
"Jesus Christ, the Bureau of Land Operational Procedure!"
"Stop it! Just tell me who these people are!""
"It's the US Forest Service, one of our plants abuts their land"
"WHY DID YOU NOT JUST SAY THE US FOREST SERVICE!?"
"Why did I have to tell you what a DROP is, idiot."

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 13, 2024

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
Hi, who just joined?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Vampire Panties posted:

we dont have to boil the ocean here

no man poo poo no

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Alright, before we start the meeting, let's go around and introduce ourselves... say your name, department, your favorite insect, and what you hope to accomplish with this project.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Montague Tigg posted:

Alright, before we start the meeting, let's go around and introduce ourselves... say your name, department, your favorite insect, and what you hope to accomplish with this project.

I'm Maybe from the dicksucking division. I like rhinoceros beetles and I hope to get laid.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Okay, since we didn't come to a consensus let's set up another meeting with Terry's team.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

lotta SMEs ITT

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

Bad Purchase posted:

lotta SMEs ITT

said phonetically out loud "smee". did you ask your smee?

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
My SME is a POC

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I saw a good one yesterday in a job description. They were looking for a good “dot connector”.
I recall seeing an advert for “Head of Horizon Scanning”.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

HR manager with the title of “diversity and inclusion” or something

Meaning they send out a newsletter every few weeks and pocket $150k

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I used ‘going forward’ in a justification the other day and felt like I needed to go home and shower.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

All the managers started saying "come to jesus moment" constantly so I'm biding my time until I can bust out "come to Butthead moment"

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

said phonetically out loud "smee". did you ask your smee?

this poo poo caught me off guard the other day. I almost told the person "bless you"

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I'm not sure this thread is providing value and we're going to have to put it on a PIP.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

im going to refer this over to bob in accounting and see if he can't massage my prostate

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Let's put together everything we talked about in a Confluence page.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

The Moon Monster posted:

All the managers started saying "come to jesus moment" constantly so I'm biding my time until I can bust out "come to Butthead moment"

Hail Satan

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Hey guys I just got back from an away day with a TOP PERFORMING ATHLETE speaker.

Anyway we really need to slam dunk the touch down in our run up to the wicket.

He said being a senior manager is actually a lot like being a top sports guy!!

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

Before we end this meeting I just have a quick question

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

No Agenda, No Attenda

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
*drops $25 Starbucks gift card on Ted’s desk for being a ROCK STAR*

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Are we duplicating our efforts?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
OK we've got our daily standup, then we've got our weekly sprint checkin, and then I'm going to throw another meeting on everyone's calendar so we can start planning for the next sprint. Make sure to have your action items loaded into Jira!

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
I'll be trailblazing this

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Bula Vinaka posted:

I'll be trailblazing this

thank you for taking point. this entire project has had too many cooks

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I feel like a lot of office terminology (and American terminology in general) can be traced back to military terms.

Stuff like FUBAR (which is funny because you'd usually never say gently caress in the office), boots on the ground, in the trenches, over the top (this one also dates back to WW1, referring to going "over the top" of the trench).

"Squared away" is another one that I kind of associate with folks that served, purely because I hear it more from military/ex-military/military adjacent people in the workspace. My experience is very skewed, though, since I come from one of those military caste families, and have done a lot of work in/around base towns.

It's kind of like when I see someone put tabasco or ketchup on eggs, it's a signifier they might be at least adjacent, but not a sure thing. At least in the US, there's a lot of culture quirks that can be traced back to military stuff seeping into civilian lives. It's weird.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

DicktheCat posted:

I feel like a lot of office terminology (and American terminology in general) can be traced back to military terms.

Stuff like FUBAR (which is funny because you'd usually never say gently caress in the office), boots on the ground, in the trenches, over the top (this one also dates back to WW1, referring to going "over the top" of the trench).

"Squared away" is another one that I kind of associate with folks that served, purely because I hear it more from military/ex-military/military adjacent people in the workspace. My experience is very skewed, though, since I come from one of those military caste families, and have done a lot of work in/around base towns.

It's kind of like when I see someone put tabasco or ketchup on eggs, it's a signifier they might be at least adjacent, but not a sure thing. At least in the US, there's a lot of culture quirks that can be traced back to military stuff seeping into civilian lives. It's weird.

well, two things - at the end of ww2, most of the US officers became managers and executives so they'd naturally use that lingo and it would filter down into corpo-speak

but also 80s :airquote: business warriors :airquote: appropriated all that poo poo in a cocaine zeitgeist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

There's a lot of terms and practices that were developed in factories during and after WW2 that became standard in project management. That made it's way into the tech industry which turned it into Agile as a "gently caress you" to the rest of the world.