Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
we dont have to boil the ocean here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
we need someone who is nuts to soup on this

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
OK we've got our daily standup, then we've got our weekly sprint checkin, and then I'm going to throw another meeting on everyone's calendar so we can start planning for the next sprint. Make sure to have your action items loaded into Jira!

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Bula Vinaka posted:

I'll be trailblazing this

thank you for taking point. this entire project has had too many cooks

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

DicktheCat posted:

I feel like a lot of office terminology (and American terminology in general) can be traced back to military terms.

Stuff like FUBAR (which is funny because you'd usually never say gently caress in the office), boots on the ground, in the trenches, over the top (this one also dates back to WW1, referring to going "over the top" of the trench).

"Squared away" is another one that I kind of associate with folks that served, purely because I hear it more from military/ex-military/military adjacent people in the workspace. My experience is very skewed, though, since I come from one of those military caste families, and have done a lot of work in/around base towns.

It's kind of like when I see someone put tabasco or ketchup on eggs, it's a signifier they might be at least adjacent, but not a sure thing. At least in the US, there's a lot of culture quirks that can be traced back to military stuff seeping into civilian lives. It's weird.

well, two things - at the end of ww2, most of the US officers became managers and executives so they'd naturally use that lingo and it would filter down into corpo-speak

but also 80s :airquote: business warriors :airquote: appropriated all that poo poo in a cocaine zeitgeist.