Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'm hemming and hawing over this. It looks extremely neat, but I don't really give a single poo poo about the singleplayer and really just want a co-op monster punching game, but there's clearly a lot of emphasis on the singleplayer storyline and I'm not sure that the multiplayer is going to have sufficient legs to be worth it on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I hoped reviews came out before EA started but no dice.

EDIT: EA begins tonight, whoops.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 28, 2024

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really wish Early Access was available on the PC version.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Kanos posted:

I'm hemming and hawing over this. It looks extremely neat, but I don't really give a single poo poo about the singleplayer and really just want a co-op monster punching game, but there's clearly a lot of emphasis on the singleplayer storyline and I'm not sure that the multiplayer is going to have sufficient legs to be worth it on its own.

Well if it's set up even remotely like the mobile game there will be an absolute shitload of giant monster fights to participate in after the story.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
they've said there's "over 100" multiplayer missions, but we've also seen that includes things like "clear 3 waves of level 11 trash enemies" so it's hard say right now how much meaty multiplayer content there actually is

also launch trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg2wKVsGTL8

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

They did it, they actually finished this game and its ready to be released!

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I said come in! posted:

They did it, they actually finished this game and its ready to be released!

they should delay the US unlock by another hour, just for old times sake

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

added a new overview video and the launch trailer to the OP

who's staying up on Wednesday? :buddy:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

eggrolled posted:

added a new overview video and the launch trailer to the OP

who's staying up on Wednesday? :buddy:

I pre-ordered on ps5 so I am staying up today!

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

I am so envious of PS5 digital folks!
Please don't hesitate to share your thoughts and impressions with us who must wait

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have a PS5, I could play tonight, but I would really prefer Steam for this one.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

It should look gorgeous on a solid pc setup.
What I'm wondering is if it'll run on a steam deck at lower settings, or if I'll have to stream it to the deck from the pc using Moonlight/Sunshine or something. I saw a video on YT of someone streaming the demo from Ps5 using Chiaki4Deck successfully.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i'm curious what sort of options there are. a friend of mine thinks the game looks fun but super annoying with how much team chatter there is, i think it's funny but itd be nice if there was a toggle

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I just know my dumb rear end is gonna end up buying a PS5 version for the stupid code at some point.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I ended up buying the PS5 version, but I'll prob flip the code in the next couple of days and use that to discount the PC version, since a couple of my buds don't have a Sony Play Station.

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014
Played a bit tonight. Having a lot a fun. Just beat the demo portion of the story. Just a few thoughts.

Seems like you can play any character in story. The captain has to be in the party, but you can pick anyone.

MSP or mastery points are shared with everyone. Didn't realize that since you get them from all the characters leveling up. Shared exp with party members you're not using too.

Enemies and the goblin boss feel less tanky now too. Either upgrading weapons helps a lot or they tuned them a bit.

You can go back to town from the middle of story missions, but when you come back it drops you off at the last save crystal.

There's only 3 coop quests at the start. Seems like that will be pretty storygated. They seem to be just for grinding weapon or character exp for now.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Few of things I'll add.

Take some time to look around each open area during story missions. A lot of chests are tucked away in out of the way areas, and a lot of them have a couple of mastery points in them. There's some little collectables too.

Even if you want to focus on upgrading a character's offensive mastery tree, take a moment to look through their defensive tree options. Everyone has their just dodge and just guard nodes really early, so drop a few points to grab them. Also, just take a look at nodes in general - they may just seem like generic stat buffs, but there are larger nodes on each character that'll confer some unique modifiers to their skillset (example - Captain has nodes that increase the time you retain an Arts level after casting a skill, or locking you in Arts IV during link time).

Quests seem to unlock in batches after each major story event, which are usually a chapter or two apart. There seems to be exactly 100 at launch, based on an in-game trophy for getting all 100 to S++ rank.

Do your Fate Episodes as you go along. Generally, the first three are a recap of the character's introduction in the mobile game, while the rest are new content. Later episodes unlock over time based on story progress. Most of them are just quick reads/voice overs, although every once in a while you'll do one with a quick combat quest inserted.

Unlocking characters outside of the main crew requires character cards. Siero'll give you your first one after the first primal beast, but I don't know if the others are tied to sidequests or story events or whatever. Doesn't look like there's a way to try before you buy, so if you liked someone from the demo or think you'll like someone new, give'em a shot. Assuming by the end of the game you can buy out the entire roster.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jan 29, 2024

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

This is a lot of fun! Leans into some annoying anime tropes and the rpg systems are a little light (at least up front) but it’s a very satisfying ARPG with some Mon Hun design layered in.

It very much assumes you’re familiar with the setting so I have no idea what’s happening or who these people are - but I’m having fun anyway!

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Sitting around the end of chapter 6 and this game is pretty fuckin great.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Just started up. There’s objectives on quests to defeat enemies with thrown items, what are those?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

ultrachrist posted:

Just started up. There’s objectives on quests to defeat enemies with thrown items, what are those?

Stuff you pick up off the ground and throw. The red exploding barrels in that first quest that asks you to do it for starters, but elementals seem to drop globes that can be thrown as well. Maybe some other stuff.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

VanillaGorilla posted:

It very much assumes you’re familiar with the setting so I have no idea what’s happening or who these people are - but I’m having fun anyway!

This is where I was, but you unlock something that will help with a lot of backstory.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I spent all my upgrade mats uncapping Eugen's gun and now I'm basically Truman ordering nukes around the battlefield

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I thought I was playing pretty well and then I recruited Percy and AI Percy blows my honors out of the water. He's just an AoE machine out of the gate.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

in a game where one whale can't just waltz in and clothesline the boss, it's a little funny how honors generation mainly comes down to how fast and how often you can spam skills

e: I was getting a feel for cag's toolkit in a boss quest, and she has one that lays mines that can charge up to four times. just dropping those all over the place when the boss wasn't moving eclipsed all my other party members.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Fate Accomplice posted:

I spent all my upgrade mats uncapping Eugen's gun and now I'm basically Truman ordering nukes around the battlefield

Yeah, I was really tempted to play as Eugen and Rackham as well: saw a streamer playing as Eugen and he was going crazy, chucking grenades and blowing the absolute hell out of whatever boss they were facing. To be honest, though, I might stick with a melee unit since it seemed almost a bit too easy to just put a lawn chair down and blast away in peace as a ranged unit: wonder if later bosses change that, though, as I do like me some muskets. Initial impressions on the game seemed alright: was really worried the game might've been a slow talky grind to start out but it looked to be moving forward at a decent pace with lots of cool fights and events.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

FutureCop posted:

the game might've been a slow talky grind to start out but it looked to be moving forward at a decent pace with lots of cool fights and events.

I'm at the beginning of chapter 6 and thus far the talking scenes are super short, there's no grinding and most of it is scripted fights and events.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Fate Accomplice posted:

I'm at the beginning of chapter 6 and thus far the talking scenes are super short, there's no grinding and most of it is scripted fights and events.

It’s not an RPG, it’s like the old PSP mon-hun clones with a bunch of characters and a more intricate set of story missions.

Most of the “grinding” is going to come from repeating scored missions in the post-game to get mats and build out characters. The story is basically just an extended tutorial.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Do those repeatable missions also have smaller mobs or is it all big bosses? I only just started the prologue

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

it's a mix. there's six categories of quests (so far?)

boss - boss fights, obv.
horde - small arena against a set number of waves of enemies
conquest - kinda like horde, but you're moving along a linear path in between each wave
survival - timed mission against infinite waves of enemies
defend - defending an objective
explore - this is new? it showed up when I unlocked Hard quests. assuming from the tag that it's a wider open map - the only one I have has the objective "Collect ancient coins within the time limit."

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
After the demo im still a little confused on if this game is solely focused on a mission structre like MonHun or more like a normal RPG.

Is this more like how FFXVI where its really about the combat and just running missions?

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

D.Fuzzbot posted:

After the demo im still a little confused on if this game is solely focused on a mission structre like MonHun or more like a normal RPG.

Is this more like how FFXVI where its really about the combat and just running missions?

From where I’m at through chapter 5— it’s a normal rpg with a focus on bossfights that has systems to clearly support monster hunter-like play once the story is over (I don’t know how long the story is.)

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

D.Fuzzbot posted:

It has a story you go through and it's decent. Completely rote but told well enough. The structure is mission-based with a linear main story you progress through and optional side-stuff you can do in-between main story missions. It's like monster hunter in the sense that there's a hub that you do stuff in before loading up a mission. You can skip returning to the hub between main missions though. The RPG elements are definitely deeper than ff16 though. You've got skill trees, weapon upgrades and sigil upgrades to work on.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

D.Fuzzbot posted:

FFXVI had a divided up world. The maps are much bigger. There was some component of exploration still in FFXVI, whereas I don't think there's much of any of that in this one other than collecting log entries for lore.

Relink basically just didn't want to implement open world or divided maps. Which is understandable because the story segments seem to involve a lot of animated set pieces, and they're pretty and engaging. It might as well be a linear action game for the main story portion of the game but they let you dip into the multiplayer on the side or grind little side missions if you want (which you probably will do a little if only to nab a crew mastery card or something).

The Monster Hunter stuff begins in post game where you just grind out the side missions and unlock more side missions/difficulties. That portion even has urgent missions if you're familiar with MH (the missions that unlock even more missions, etc).

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 30, 2024

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Thank you, I'm pretty much sold on it now.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

There are something like 20 unique bosses, and you continue to unlock variants into the endgame.

So a little less variety than a usual monster hunter at launch, but a better story mode.

People have been saying 8-10 hours for the story, and then most of the side stuff unlocks in the post-game, as has been said.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Any reason for me to not sell a bunch of these redundant sigils? Like they aren't going to drop some kind of sigil combining thing on me when I wrap up the story are they?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I'm surprised at how constant the elaborate set pieces and bosses are in the story. This must have been a very expensive game to develop

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I used my first card on the giant scythe dude. He does bonkers damage but needs to charge up his combos. But landing your charges powers up a secondary scythe bar that gives you passive bonuses. On the default difficulty, the campaign is fairly easy so it's hard to assess how effective anybody is. I did find Eugen to be easy mode like people were saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Failboattootoot posted:

Any reason for me to not sell a bunch of these redundant sigils? Like they aren't going to drop some kind of sigil combining thing on me when I wrap up the story are they?

in the post-game you can trade sigils, materials, and wrightstones to siero for knickknack vouchers, which can then be used to roll for high level sigils via transmutation.

gacha. it's gacha. you can convert unneeded mats for gacha.