Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Haaselia it is then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I will never not be salty that cygames won't give PC codes.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Draga posted:

Haaselia it is then.

Haase is a good choice; even pre-5* she's a beast, and her 5* turns her into an absolute monster.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I will never not be salty that cygames won't give PC codes.

NGL I am, too. There's some theories as to why they can't, but they're ultimately moot in the face of the actual effects.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Hmm. I'd have to check the video long since rolled out of memory to find out but I could swear we had the guy on 1% for what felt like an eternity. If he really wasn't gated he had to have been running on fumes; I dinged his hand once on the follow up punch and he instantly died.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I've definitely almost skipped Supernova, but I've never been going so hard we get to single-digits. My last few PBHLs have definitely skipped Light of the Apocolypse or whatever that last DPS race attack is called.

Have the Terminus weapons for Rackham and Narm, now. Still grinding for Char's, as well as her not-Cascade unique sigil.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Fedule posted:

Hmm. I'd have to check the video long since rolled out of memory to find out but I could swear we had the guy on 1% for what felt like an eternity. If he really wasn't gated he had to have been running on fumes; I dinged his hand once on the follow up punch and he instantly died.

You can kill him before he even transforms--even before Skyfall in a truly insane group, lol. You underestimate how hard people have optimized this fight. He's not HP gated, it's just FFXIV syndrome where the last % of HP is deceptively large since it covers all the way from 1.9% to 0.1%.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HN3lhuYjoM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNayROT_nUk

Pro tip for Terminus farmers: join the Relink community discord and join a farm party, these players self-select and are way more likely to know the speedrun strats (para/glaciate before 80%, using all blue pots for link time before SBA, two 2-burst SBAs instead of one full burst since it keeps him stunned longer) than the average rando. I was able to get into a group with sub 3-minute clears without much trouble this way.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
gamer "incest best" coming in with the clutch glaciate

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
So even though I'm a Smooth Brain Vane Main (tm), I've gotten Siegfried's terminus levels up and am enjoying him a lot with one exception. How are other people keeping the combos going on proto bahamut when his body is jerking all over the place with people doing SBAs? He doesn't stay grounded and his chest backs far enough away from the ship it'll cause my combos to drop even if my timing is perfect.

Anyone found a good solution to this?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
you can roll in between combo hits to change your positioning without ending the combo, just press attack again afterwards and you can pick up the combo where you left off. ghandagoza and sieg get to keep their perfect timing chains going too

on sieg in particular you can also use his Y/triangle attack to gapclose and resume the combo after

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
So one point I'll relent on a little is that the Terminus weapons seem like they'll farm a little faster than expected. I don't know if anywhere tracks your actual number of clears on each quest but I think I'm up to, like, 40? And I have 9, so if I'm remembering right it means a (personal) drop rate of maybe 20-25%. I guess I'm looking at a total of like 2-3 days in total working on this quest.

It's remarkable how here and on the slime farming quest you run into repeat voters all the time, and yet try matchmaking with "Let's Repeat!" set and see where that gets you. Why they bothered with the matchmaking criteria they have is beyond me; you should just be able to choose between Stay & Repeat, Leave & Repeat a.k.a discreetly dump your team and Leave & Return to Town after every quest with no voting system and no weird criteria, with matchmaking filling any open slots between quests.

Anyway after days of questing I saw something that seems to me even rarer than a Prismatic Slime; a Rosetta main online! I don't think I've ever seen her, which is a shame because with the stuff she hands out I can just I'm Fuckin' Invincible through everything like I'm back on Extreme. I think my AI party can get me up to like 90% Damage Cut and I wasn't even really trying to build around that.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

you can roll in between combo hits to change your positioning without ending the combo, just press attack again afterwards and you can pick up the combo where you left off. ghandagoza and sieg get to keep their perfect timing chains going too

on sieg in particular you can also use his Y/triangle attack to gapclose and resume the combo after

The problem is more so that when he's downed and is being hit with an SBA, he flops his head and arms up off the ship, so his only vulnerable spot is the center of his chest. The auto-tracking attacks and complete dogshit FORCED camera angle make his attacks sometimes force themselves towards a head/claw that's no longer there, or just has him sliding all over creation instead of just standing in place and doing the attacks I ask.

Maybe it's that I'm just so used to Vane having only ONE attack that moves him, the initial square to engage, and the rest hold him relatively in place whereas Seig has all of his attacks try to close a gap.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

gamer "incest best" coming in with the clutch glaciate

i got carried through Wolf and Veil by sassy loli

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

King Cohort posted:

You can kill him before he even transforms--even before Skyfall in a truly insane group, lol. You underestimate how hard people have optimized this fight. He's not HP gated, it's just FFXIV syndrome where the last % of HP is deceptively large since it covers all the way from 1.9% to 0.1%.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HN3lhuYjoM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNayROT_nUk

Pro tip for Terminus farmers: join the Relink community discord and join a farm party, these players self-select and are way more likely to know the speedrun strats (para/glaciate before 80%, using all blue pots for link time before SBA, two 2-burst SBAs instead of one full burst since it keeps him stunned longer) than the average rando. I was able to get into a group with sub 3-minute clears without much trouble this way.

do you have a link? i want to make sure im joining the right one

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Fedule posted:

So one point I'll relent on a little is that the Terminus weapons seem like they'll farm a little faster than expected. I don't know if anywhere tracks your actual number of clears on each quest but I think I'm up to, like, 40? And I have 9, so if I'm remembering right it means a (personal) drop rate of maybe 20-25%. I guess I'm looking at a total of like 2-3 days in total working on this quest.

It's remarkable how here and on the slime farming quest you run into repeat voters all the time, and yet try matchmaking with "Let's Repeat!" set and see where that gets you. Why they bothered with the matchmaking criteria they have is beyond me; you should just be able to choose between Stay & Repeat, Leave & Repeat a.k.a discreetly dump your team and Leave & Return to Town after every quest with no voting system and no weird criteria, with matchmaking filling any open slots between quests.

Anyway after days of questing I saw something that seems to me even rarer than a Prismatic Slime; a Rosetta main online! I don't think I've ever seen her, which is a shame because with the stuff she hands out I can just I'm Fuckin' Invincible through everything like I'm back on Extreme. I think my AI party can get me up to like 90% Damage Cut and I wasn't even really trying to build around that.

Just want everyone else to see how incredibly lucky getting 9 weapons out of 40 fights is. By the time I had 6 weapons my friend still had 0, and we farmed together. RNG is cruel

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Countblanc posted:

do you have a link? i want to make sure im joining the right one

https://discord.gg/gbfr

Also has in-depth character and mechanics guides, pretty good resource.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

King Cohort posted:

https://discord.gg/gbfr

Also has in-depth character and mechanics guides, pretty good resource.

thanks. is there anything i should know before joining one of the grind groups? like the first ping i saw when i joined was looking for people for sub-2m clears and while i can reliably get sub-5 in pubs i dont really know what id need to do to join something lik ethat

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Countblanc posted:

thanks. is there anything i should know before joining one of the grind groups? like the first ping i saw when i joined was looking for people for sub-2m clears and while i can reliably get sub-5 in pubs i dont really know what id need to do to join something lik ethat

Sub 2 minute groups are definitely pretty hardcore, you should probably get some practice in on less demanding groups that don't specify a time they're seeking. I imagine you'd need a really strong DPS character+build with War Elemental, Supplemental Damage, the usual good stuff, and know the timings to cc/SBA him for max uptime (they can take some time to learn how to do while still DPSing well). But at the same time, don't be afraid to try and fail with other groups, the best way to learn is experience. Nobody's keeping a blacklist or anything like that, it's a pretty informal discord, and the worst that can happen is extremely mild inconvenience.

King Cohort fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 17, 2024

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
there goes my RNG good luck for the next few lifetimes

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Grats! Those aren't too bad to roll for some reason, especially with save scumming. The possibilities must be less than it seems

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
That roll would be perfect if the SBA damage cap was a 20% crit chance

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

[battered, bloody, thousand yard stare] I found a way to get more Atk lads

Managed to keep Improved Dodge but gave up Crabvestment and Steel Nerve and replaced them with More Numbers

This is the result. This time I really don't think I can crank Atk any higher without doing something really stupid like Berserker. Maybe if I find a good Life on the Line? This is all in aid of getting the first three quarters of the two combo finishers on Vaseraga's Combo B closer to the cap. They still aren't there btw. That said if I pop the Cut skill a few times it caps three times in a row but I don't know if I want to be doing that without also leaning on Undying. Also Terminus weapons have Regen and one of my Damage Caps has Drain. I'm afraid to commit further to this build...

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
ghandagoza is cool but he feels like, uniquely awful for Proto Bahamut lol. just randomly turning to whiff attacks into the air and lose his perfect chain combo so you don't get enough juice for a proper raging fist by the time your dps phase is over

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Even a bad life on the line iv will be more attack than that second tyranny. it scales badly with dupes and different mods stack multiplicatively

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Countblanc posted:

ghandagoza is cool but he feels like, uniquely awful for Proto Bahamut lol. just randomly turning to whiff attacks into the air and lose his perfect chain combo so you don't get enough juice for a proper raging fist by the time your dps phase is over

You know, I haven't seen a single Ghandagoza in randoms and I think that's a big part of why.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Jesus, I just tore Furycane a new rear end in a top hat. Rackam is really fun, ya'll.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Fedule posted:

Yeah getting the terminus is the easy part.

It's all this:

that's the hard part, especially the silver centrum.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

doing afk curios farming has helped paper over my centrum needs but it's still the biggest resource hole, and why I'm not super bummed out about farming everything else. like, so what if a specific bahamut weapon isn't dropping yet, centrums (and horns) are and I'm gonna need way more than what this fight's gonna give me by the time I get all of them.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Managed to get through the rest of Proud mode and got carried defeated Proto Bahamut with Siegfried. As much as I love his playstyle, he started to become a little more trouble than it was worth when the game started doing "hey just fight these two giant dragons at once, no we barely programmed the game to handle it all that well but just deal with it." Absolutely could not see poo poo in those fights and it was a miracle I was getting his perfect swing timing at all. Shout out to the wind dragon who either put one-shot tornadoes on the ice dragon, took potshots off screen, or always tried to attack and just slid the other dragon clear across the map because the hit detection was just lol. And I am never doing the Wolf and Veil quest ever again in my life if I can help it.

Plus, Siegfried himself got capped out by the damage cap really loving hard later on in proud and he started getting a bad combination of hitting slow for low damage.

Comparatively, I spent the last 3 hours gearing up Lancelot and transferred a lot of my sigils to him and Lancelot loving blends enemies holy poo poo. It wasn't too hard to learn Proto Bahamut as his fight mechanics aren't bad at all and Lancelot seems built for this kind of fight so now it's just pretty easy. Unfortunately the only terminus weapon I got was Rackam's and I honestly don't think Proto Bahamut is really that great of a fight for me to be farming until April for this. I may play more this weekend but after 40 hours, I think I got my fill of this for now. Fun game, but clearly marred by some very, very strange gameplay designs (the character balance is all over the place, and it seemed like they just flat out ran out of bosses extremely early on so they started leaning heavily into the 6 different dragon flavors and varying degrees of gank squads).

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Siero could you please add a "don't want, immediately mulch" button to the output screen of Transmutation, thanks in advance

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

This makes me regret going PS5 over PC no lie

https://www.nexusmods.com/granbluefantasyrelink/mods/46

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol the best mod

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I said come in! posted:

lol the best mod

I'm gonna be real upset if we don't see a Gold Ship mod for Lucilius shortly after launch

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://www.nexusmods.com/granbluefantasyrelink/mods/47

no this is best mod

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Always remember: Vampy is Core.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
There. I collected the 19 motherfuckers. By way of reasoning backwards from the state of my commendations and stocks of other things that drop from Proto Bahamut I think I have played the mission approximately 100 times, give or take, which is consistent with the supposed drop rate of 20%. All I have left to do now is find I guess one other rare quest drop and replay the Story on Ultimate.

For good measure I also fully woke the Terminus Scythe. Yeah, that took way too many doodads. Because I'm only running the one main it was only a few items missing that couldn't be traded for, but, man. I especially enjoyed the final gently caress you of being surprise required to fully level every other weapon (which means a little grinding for those too, because for reasons known not to gods nor men certain low level items just stop dropping from enemies when you fight them in Maniac or Proud) before even getting to see what the materials for the last tier were. Anyway these weapons are nuts? To be honest, I don't get the final perk. +1 level on your sigils is neat, but... also kinda underwhelming? I guess if you cram a bunch of the same thing it might produce a noticeable boost but then you'll end up capped anyway Certainly not scoffing at the 2000 Atk jump. Also I don't really understand why they have a specific requirement to keep Max HP below 45k to get a load of extra power and cap but I was able to work with that. By the end of it this thing is dealing a hair under 6m damage on a full go of Combo B.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The 45k hp threshold is just planned obsolescence.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Vane is so loving good holy poo poo. He has way more mobility options than I originally thought and drain with combo finisher means he can parry through some pretty nasty stuff and just heal through it. God drat.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Is the official soundtrack up anywhere digital? I want it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fedule posted:

Is the official soundtrack up anywhere digital? I want it.

https://relink.granbluefantasy.jp/en/goods

seems like its Coming Soon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I will give them more of my money at the first available opportunity because every loving track in this game is a banger and it deserves better than this functional but skippy rip that's all I have right now

It's my understanding this Narita guy is a disciple of Uematsu who apparently worked on the original mobile game for a while? It would loving explain some things. For one, why the Standard Issue Final Fantasy Battle Music Rhythm Motif is all over the recurring battle themes, some of which I gather were just ported from the mobile games. But. This game is basically just wall to wall boss fights and I think almost literally every unique enemy has a unique theme with two stages and an outro and they're all full treatment, full energy, it's kinda astonishing. Even the variable mixes from the forgettable main plot areas are incredible, and I love how they incorporate some consistent bits across connected areas (eg: the bridge in Ainsteddo Archipelago is the same as the one in Furicane Part 2). I sure as hell would have disliked the Terminus Grind a lot more if it wasn't set against I'LL SHATTER THE SKY WHEN THE LAST CHAIN BREAKS and all that. Could make an entire Getting poo poo Done playlist out of this.

I've complained a lot about some parts of this game that I think are really stupid and I stand by every word of it but I was initially sold on this game by way of the style, sound, and tone, and that stuff is all a goddamn slam dunk. It was dumb that I had to grind these quests so many times but god drat, what quests they were. The dragons, and Bahamut, and whatever the gently caress the Automagod was supposed to be, were all fun as gently caress to fight, hell even Wolf and Veil wasn't so bad, the whole game is pretty as poo poo, and the soundtrack is, well, yeah.