Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Interesting to see that they are advertising their Full Assist mode on the Steam page, but I think it's a positive thing on the balance. Makes this something more kinds of players can engage with, and it will probably ease the late-game grind quite a bit.

Still not sure who I'm gonna try as a main PC first, but if Ferry plays like a summoner/minion character, that could be a lot of fun. Cagliostro and Rosetta are also candidates for a more disengaged character who isn't just spamming ranged attacks. Of course, if I do multiplayer I am gonna have to try selling my buddies on a Ghandagoza/Yodarha teamup. The height contrast would be fun :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I'm surprised at how constant the elaborate set pieces and bosses are in the story. This must have been a very expensive game to develop

it had a very troubled history and went through more than one developing studio. it got announced like 8 years ago and was under platinumgames wheelhouse at one point

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Vitamean posted:

To add a bit to this, in the full game there's also an option to get sent to a random mission out of those available, and the first time you run it each day you'll get an item that increases drop rates in your next quest on use.

gonna correct this just a bit:

Quick Quest sends you out to a random quest out of those you have available. Online it'll let you join someone else's quest, and offline it'll just pick a random one out of your stock. Whether you do it online or offline, you're strength will get scaled down appropriately for the quest.

Once per day you can nab a gold badge ticket for free, and every three Quick Quests you do gets you one infinitely. These are used automatically the next time you run Quick Quest online, up to three at once, and get you one gold dalia badge per. These can be exchanged for different growth materials, one crewmate card, and something called Ambrosia which I assume is Very Good because there's one in the shop that restocks weekly and costs 30 of the drat things.

Quick Quest results can vary depending on the time of day. I tried it this morning and was able to reliably get matches with players from Japan, but last night it was completely dead, and right now it's hit or miss. I know part of this is because people are still going through the main story, but I do think it's a bit hard on matchmaking to require four people in an open quest to run it. We'll see how it goes as more people get online... it's definitely gotten better in the past day.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am still wondering if I should go with PC or PS5. I am guessing PS5 may have the larger base since it is giving out draws for Granblue proper?

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

I am leaning towards PC just because I refuse to pay extra for online multiplayer on a console. With Steam refunds, if the gameplay feels particularly janky on mouse+keyboard I can always refund and try buying it on console instead. I did that with Elden Ring back in the day, though in that case it was more about the buggy initial state of PC port

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
How quickly do you get crewmate cards by the by? Hearing that you can get them from the online daily reward system makes it sound a bit more involved than I had assumed, which was basically that you'd unlock everyone by the time you beat the MSQ.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

idr the exact count but I got half? maybe a bit over half? of the crewmates from a combination of story progress and a handful of quests (seem to just be the ones that are boss refights). as far as I can tell there is exactly One Crewmate Card in the gold dalia shop that doesn't get restocked.

e: there's prob more sitting around in quests or something but I think there's only the one that's in siero's shop, so far.

e2: just taking a quick look, without buying the dalia card I'm missing five characters from crewmate, at the beginning of the postgame with all easy + normal quests cleared.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 31, 2024

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I unlocked Zeta as my first character and plays like Mario from Mario RPG lol. Definitely a good choice

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

I'm excited to jump into this for the PC release. Don't know anything about GBF, but from what i watched it looks very fun to play. Are there any trap choices early for characters, either late bloomers (sigil reliant) or bad for AI (the melia from xbc effect)

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

ultrachrist posted:

I used my first card on the giant scythe dude. He does bonkers damage but needs to charge up his combos. But landing your charges powers up a secondary scythe bar that gives you passive bonuses. On the default difficulty, the campaign is fairly easy so it's hard to assess how effective anybody is. I did find Eugen to be easy mode like people were saying.

Vaseraga, voiced by Ya Boy ProZD. IIRC he's part of The Society, a group of people who ended up on the moon and make Fantasy Super Robots.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Dackel posted:

I'm excited to jump into this for the PC release. Don't know anything about GBF, but from what i watched it looks very fun to play. Are there any trap choices early for characters, either late bloomers (sigil reliant) or bad for AI (the melia from xbc effect)
Don't think so, I noticed there are people trying hard to convince people to save their crew tickets until post game so they join at higher levels and mastery points but that seems very unfun to me unless you genuinely want to stick with one character the whole game.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

exp and msp drop like rain in postgame there's no reason not to just buy the characters you like as soon as you can

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

I decided to check out some youtube footage to get an idea what the mid-range characters I was interested in looked like

Rosetta: Place turrets that are short-ranged, but get stronger the more damage they do. Use them to target various AoE buff/heal effects. Seems rather technical, but potentially a lot of fun

Ferry: Get little summon buddies with your basic combo string, then use your strong attack to spend them for big damage. Seems like a very popular pick.

Cagliostro: Was a little more confusing, but apparently she's great at dropping mines, setting traps for the bosses, etc. Another buff/debuff character as well

EDIT: Some skimming of posts also suggests that DoT is pretty good, bringing Percival and Rosetta for Burn/Poison is great even if you have them AI. The AI is also decent using Vane to tank

avoraciopoctules fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 31, 2024

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Why use Vane to AI tank when he's the most satisfying smooth brain Chad bro to smash bosses with and has stability thru attacks? Vane is the best.

eggrolled
Mar 6, 2006

I was just about to come here and ask about Vane
Looks like he's right up my alley

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

avoraciopoctules posted:

I am leaning towards PC just because I refuse to pay extra for online multiplayer on a console. With Steam refunds, if the gameplay feels particularly janky on mouse+keyboard I can always refund and try buying it on console instead. I did that with Elden Ring back in the day, though in that case it was more about the buggy initial state of PC port

Same for the extra cost but I'll be playing with a controller regardless. These kinds of games are ideal that way imo

e: I've not looked up a single moment of Vane gameplay because I already know I'm going to main him, he's my boy and I love him

Neito posted:

Vaseraga, voiced by Ya Boy ProZD. IIRC he's part of The Society, a group of people who ended up on the moon and make Fantasy Super Robots.

Close, they go there to fight them

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

S.J. posted:

Close, they go there to fight them

That's right, they're the ones with the special suits. I tend to fly through the story to get to the part where I get to grind mindlessly.

I also spent a month and a half farming Automagod Diaspora so it's burned in my mind

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I loving feel you on that, the grinds are real. Especially since I didn't really start taking any of my progression seriously until like halfway through last year... and I've been playing for longer than I care to admit

I love the story and the character side stuff though, probably because the FFT artist/art style is what got me to look at the game to begin with. There's some genuinely good writing in some of those pieces.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

the best part of granblue was that I could read through new events inconspicuously on my work pc instead of, like, staring at my phone.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/inodioesse/status/1752349092313813178

grats to our pan queen

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Oh my god, the final boss music goes so hard

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
That was a very enjoyable main quest. Nothing really out of left field, but it was done well!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

S.J. posted:

I loving feel you on that, the grinds are real. Especially since I didn't really start taking any of my progression seriously until like halfway through last year... and I've been playing for longer than I care to admit

I love the story and the character side stuff though, probably because the FFT artist/art style is what got me to look at the game to begin with. There's some genuinely good writing in some of those pieces.

I played for about a year or two and I don't think I ever played beyond the first 30 chapters of the story (if that. I don't think I ever met Rosetta in the main story) because there are almost constantly events that I was grinding on. Still, it was a good time.

Sounds like most are getting this on PC so I may as well get it on there.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Maglielle not being playable is a crime, she's so cool

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Maglielle not being playable is a crime, she's so cool

i'm really hoping they add her to GBVS

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
https://www.metacritic.com/game/granblue-fantasy-relink/

Quite respectable.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

There's a bunch of characters in the cannon who are "MC-sexual", so I'm not surprised. I think Anthuria has a whole thing about not caring if it's Djeeta or Gran? I use her Christmas version on my earth team cus she's a good "never-die" enabler.

EDIT: Also, Vira and Katalina is an explicitly lesbian romantic relationship. GBF has a pretty decent amount of queer/LGBT representation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh i think most of those characters go beyond 'mcsexual'

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Dang rupees! I need so many, it never ends!

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Where are the gay dilfs?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm pretty bummed that Rolan isn't playable, I was pretty confident he would be given the official site just slaps him in with all the other playable characters (instead of the "Companions" header). He looked cool.

Also I saw in some footage there's a "Spoiler Protection" option when setting up quest rooms, any idea what that does?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Countblanc posted:

I'm pretty bummed that Rolan isn't playable, I was pretty confident he would be given the official site just slaps him in with all the other playable characters (instead of the "Companions" header). He looked cool.

Also I saw in some footage there's a "Spoiler Protection" option when setting up quest rooms, any idea what that does?

Mainly an ending spoiler it prevents people from using Id in your quests.

e: I guess as a non-spoiler you unlock something in the post-game that can't be used if the host turns spoiler protection on.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 31, 2024

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Pleasant surprise from the reviews is that the PC performance is apparently great despite the very simple settings menu.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rascyc posted:

Pleasant surprise from the reviews is that the PC performance is apparently great.

:hellyeah:

I was worried about this somewhat, not gonna lie.

Orv
May 4, 2011
PC uh, wins this one time and probably not again!(?)

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

interested in seeing how online shakes out for PC, because PS is still getting hit by the occasional matchmaking errors that were happening during the demo.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah it's kind an odd game on the PS5 too. I'm used to performance modes for games not taking huge graphical hits but this one felt very noticeable on my TV, so I'm back on quality mode despite the 30 fps lock. Someone figured out that some of the environmental physics are substantially different on the quality vs performance modes so I'll probably stick with it because I love the wind physics in this game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

D.Fuzzbot posted:

Where are the gay dilfs?
eugen has an old man boyfriend but he isnt in the game rip

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Who's his boyfriend, at a googling glance he just has a wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Apparently Playstation and PC don't have cross-play, at least not yet. Where are most people getting it?