Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I bought a lot of those early asylum weekly papers. They sucked. Is there any way cheex or whoever is still alive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Oh I thought about doing that before embarking on starting at the beginning, skipping ahead to the better years, but honestly it's so fascinating and horrifying to see what they thought was fine to air.

At one point, I think it might have been episode 10, Bruce and the whole ms.tna thing, the crowd just being homophobic during his promo and it's bleeped out because it's the fight network versions and I'm just :stare: during the whole thing

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hellblazer187 posted:

I bought a lot of those early asylum weekly papers. They sucked. Is there any way cheex or whoever is still alive?

I actually did a deep dive on Cheex for an episode of the Monumental Podcast. He was better known on the indies as Rolling Thunder or his real name Mike Staples and wrestled until 2016. I believe he is still alive.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

They've played two trailers for The Mummy Murders during Impact and it looks like a Neil Breen movie

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Lumbermouth posted:

it looks like a Neil Breen movie

A completely amazing work of art?

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

https://x.com/ThisIsTNA/status/1750715471156969727?s=20

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

gently caress yeah good get for TNA

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:hellyeah:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

he is really incredibly underrated. he likely would have gotten a pwg run had he not gotten scooped up for the cruiser classic so early on

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Nic Nemeth doing dates, Mustafa Ali doing dates, and I hope that's it for recent WWE fires.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

if he puts in effort shelton would be a good hire

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

STONE COLD 64 posted:

if he puts in effort shelton would be a good hire

Oh yeah, I forgot Shelton Benjamin got fired!

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

https://twitter.com/MustafaAli_X/status/1750915572139774282

Ali is doing the next three tapings at minimum, stoked.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Meltzer gave Ospreay/Alexander II *****1/2, the highest-rated match in TNA history.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

We might've lost BTI, but gdi Xplosion is back, baby!

https://x.com/ThisIsTNA/status/1750913735932223539?s=20

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

I'm up to episode #14 watching TNA from the start and something happened that made me immediately have to write it down.

So the main event is Jeff Jarrett vs B.G. james(road dogg)

And James does the stupidest promo before the match which includes the line "it ain't nothing but a B to the G thing and you're about to feel my B to the G sting. It's B.G. James and the G stands for Get it,got it, good"

:psyduck:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Miching Mallecho posted:

I'm up to episode #14 watching TNA from the start and something happened that made me immediately have to write it down.

And James does the stupidest promo before the match which includes the line "it ain't nothing but a B to the G thing and you're about to feel my B to the G sting. It's B.G. James and the G stands for Get it,got it, good"

This isn't even the only company where a bad Jarrett vs Road Dogg match would headline during that period. Post WCW was so dire in the US.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Miching Mallecho posted:

Sometimes you would see someone fail or suck in WWE, and you would be like "well, that happens with almost everyone there", and then you'd see them elsewhere and decide to watch/give them another chance, see them fail or suck there too, and immediately are like "ah. nobody could have made this guy work, this guy just sucks"

A lot of people were like that with Aron Rex/Damien Sandow. I was definitely like that with Road Dogg

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

MassRafTer posted:

This isn't even the only company where a bad Jarrett vs Road Dogg match would headline during that period. Post WCW was so dire in the US.

I have never recovered from the one WWA show I went to see live.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Raeg posted:

I have never recovered from the one WWA show I went to see live.

I saw a WWA show where they broadcast the commentary in the arena. It is very strange.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

Well, got to #20 of NWA-TNA, I'm right in the middle of it.

I got some thoughts:

Brian Lawler and April cuckold story that has hit the "Brian lawler fakes a heart attack after losing to Syxx-pac" was something I didn't know happened. :wtc:

I loving despise Brian James.

I mean I expected the homophobia and casual racism with TNA, so I kinda braced myself with that poo poo and Jeff Jarrett in one of the earlier episodes saying "this is reverse racism" after Truth won the belt,atleast that made me laugh because of the absurdity coming out of Jeff's mouth but Brian James and his bullshit unfunny promos in like 3 episodes have made me have an existential crisis every time.

And that he was 33 years old at the time too as he lumbers around :psyduck:

Edit: watching #21 and James Mitchell debuts a new member of his evil group, Bella Donna. And man did I get sad. I thought "wow, let me see what she's doing" and she died in 2019, she was 40 years old. :smith:

Edit: Jesus christ in #22, they just start using the f slur :psyduck: I was expecting it one of these days because of AJ but I'm still shocked and of course it was road dogg

Miching Mallecho fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 30, 2024

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

https://x.com/ThisIsTNA/status/1752363610536374650

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Here's the thing about pro wrestling in 2002: it was VERY problematic. This is not to absolve TNA of sins, it's just a matter of fact.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

Here's the thing about pro wrestling in 2002: it was VERY problematic. This is not to absolve TNA of sins, it's just a matter of fact.

Society in general. Homophobia was still pretty normalized in a lot of circles.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I really need a summary of Aron Rex, because the out of context gifs I've seen do not explain anything and just leave me confused

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The D in Detroit posted:

I really need a summary of Aron Rex, because the out of context gifs I've seen do not explain anything and just leave me confused

Do you remember Damien Sandow?

Okay, so that guy got fired and then went to TNA and became a generic ex-WWE guy. But then half a year later, new calendar year comes around and they're like "well, what do you wanna do, keep going with this or pitch your own stuff?" And he wanted to pitch his own thing, something WWE said no to

quote:

Rex returned on the January 12, 2017 episode of Impact Wrestling debuting a Liberace-inspired character, with a new clean shaven look and sporting plucked eyebrows, lip gloss, a fur coat, naked trunks and oversized rings on all fingers, along with Rockstar Spud as his new manager.[189]

This was his idea. In the year 2017

It lasted one more week and then he was done in the company, announcing as much months later

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

He's been slumming around NWA since 2019

He's a manager now which should work for him because he has a ton of charisma. He's just low rent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvYJfHiY_ro

Moderate sized fish. iiiity biiiity pond.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jonny Nox posted:

He's been slumming around NWA since 2019

He's a manager now which should work for him because he has a ton of charisma. He's just low rent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvYJfHiY_ro

Moderate sized fish. iiiity biiiity pond.

He's so boring in the NWA. Which is true for everyone but his character work really sucks. Very generic.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

It's really incredible how he's one guy who actually got significantly worse the moment he left WWE. Like...yeah that's happened plenty of times, but the drop in quality was instant and stark.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

It's really incredible how he's one guy who actually got significantly worse the moment he left WWE. Like...yeah that's happened plenty of times, but the drop in quality was instant and stark.

While I thought Sandow was a fun gimmick and he was the one guy who managed to get the Miz super over when he was floundering, Macho Mandow is actually worse than his current NWA run.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

While I thought Sandow was a fun gimmick and he was the one guy who managed to get the Miz super over when he was floundering, Macho Mandow is actually worse than his current NWA run.

I think that happened long after I had given up on WWE and I was mostly watching Britwres at the time so I'll take your word for it. I thought Sandow and Mizdow were both fun and he carried himself well, so I was pretty interested in his TNA debut at the time and then he cut the blandest "I just wanna be me" promo and buried a gimmick people actually liked. Shockingly tone deaf.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:sigh:

Well got to the "Vince Russo makes his on-screen debut" of NWA-TNA

First of all, I don't get why his stupid first promo, in episode #23, is saying that the company is poo poo, it's like in the first episode with everyone saying how lovely it is to win the title in a gauntlet for the gold match.

The terrorizing of Athena, I had already watched this infamous segment clipped but I didn't know that literally on the debut of TNA there were Athena signs and since then I was dreading this episode because now I know just how over she was with the crowd.

Horrid treatment for her that got worst when you get the full context

Then you got the infamous Piper promo in episode 24,I've seen the promo before but in the context of a weekly wrestling show, it's so random...and he's advertising his book while yelling at Russo about killing Owen :stare:

And then in episode 25, which I'm in the middle of, Slash and Brian Lee lose the tag titles to the loving Harris idiots and then it gets reversed by Percy Pringle and the NWA :lol:

You can literally tell when Russo started influencing the loving finishes even more and thank god for the X division because without that, this place would've closed down by episode 3.

Now I'm not saying Slash and Brian are a great pair of wrestlers but drat it; Them,James Mitchell, and BellaDonna got over with me

:dance:
https://streamable.com/19vwyw?src=player-page-share
:dance:

One sad quote from Curt Henning when he sat down with Tenay before the title match with Jeff,hit me hard

"I know right now at the age of 35 ,that I can go out right now and perform the same as twenty years ago"

You can hear him have trouble breathing and he was actually 44 at the time, so he was already completely messed up and we'd lose him in feb, two months after this show :smith:

Edit: #26, the last show for 2002.
I'm literally shocked when Animal and Hawk come out of nowhere. I didn't know they were in TNA

Then I'm shocked again at the end when David flair comes out of nowhere holding a loving AX, a literal AX upside down to attack Curt Henning. And then Elix skipper pushes it out of the ring when it's on the mat :lol:

Edit 2: first TNA episode of 2003, #27. It finally happened. We got a loving Ax handle on a pole match with henning and David flair. :laffo:
No wonder Jerry Jarrett hated Russo

Edit 3: :lol: the end of #28 :lol: the crowd just dead silent as Mr.wrestling 4 unmasks and it's Nikita Koloff,nobody cares and neither do I. :lol:

Edit 4: Schiavone is here on episode #30, and this sucks. Tony shouldn't be doing this stupid worked shoot Vince Russo bullshit. Tony and Tenay "shooting" on each other :shepface:

Miching Mallecho fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 3, 2024

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
RIP TNA Legend Toby Keith, break out the 50 Greatest Moments in TNA history and watch all of his moments to celebrate.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

RIP TNA Legend Toby Keith, break out the 50 Greatest Moments in TNA history and watch all of his moments to celebrate.

So this is how I find out. Wild.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

same same. Thinking a bout him doing a suplex

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

Jeff said that Toby turned down a White House trip to sing at TNA

:unsmith:

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Suplex Liberace posted:

same same. Thinking a bout him doing a suplex

That suplex was perfect

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

he was one of the best platninum seeling wrestlers ever

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

apophenium posted:

That suplex was perfect

For the record you do not under any circumstances "gotta hand it" to Tony Keith, even if he did a perfect vertical suplex on Jeff Jarrett that one time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

apophenium posted:

For the record you do not under any circumstances "gotta hand it" to Tony Keith, even if he did a perfect vertical suplex on Jeff Jarrett that one time
I'm not a country music type and...
Well I just looked it up and I didn't know he did a song literally about lynching :psyduck: :wtf:

Unless there's something else more too....