Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

This is the only thing involving Toby Keith I have ever seen and as far as I can tell it summarizes Toby Keith perfectly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKlGoMZQSxc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Scott D'Amore "terminated" with Anthony Cicione named TNA President and the company being folded into Anthem's Entertainment Group.

https://tnawrestling.com/2024/02/07/anthony-cicione-named-president-of-tna-wrestling/

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Cannot think Scott termination goes over well with the majority of the talent there. What the gently caress happened???

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

God dammit I just wanted to follow one wrestling company without corporate fuckery interfering.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Well, uh, what the gently caress? This is out of nowhere, wasn't he behind the re-rebrand and a lot of the vision of the company? Everyone I know spoke really highly of him too. The hell?

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Well, uh, what the gently caress? This is out of nowhere, wasn't he behind the re-rebrand and a lot of the vision of the company? Everyone I know spoke really highly of him too. The hell?

Either there is some scandal that unfolded that we have yet to be informed about, or LOLTNA is back on the menu.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Either he overpromised and underdelivered with the rebrand or they may think he's a liability. Which might be a smart move with everything happening in WWE right now.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The statement says they want to bring TNA closer to the rest of Anthem's entertainment wing, which the new president was already running, so it seems pretty possible that Anthem decided it wanted to meddle more in TNA operations and got rid of the non-company man who had been heading it up

(e: that obviously doesn't preclude them deciding to take a more active role because they were disappointed in how it was performing, or something problematic came up with Scott, but it's always a "who knows" kind of situation when it comes to the whims of a corporate entity)

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
:psyduck:

Their return to TNA name and the first PPV of 2024 did well, atleast from what I remember when meltzer was talking about the buy rates

I wonder what happened

Edit: corporate fuckery it is. :psyduck:

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

D'Amore and Callis were at the helm when the whole Kross / Scarlet issue was unfolding. Anthem might be cleaning house a bit?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Miching Mallecho posted:

Their return to TNA name and the first PPV of 2024 did well, atleast from what I remember when meltzer was talking about the buy rates

I wonder what happened

Edit: corporate fuckery it is. :psyduck:

8,000 buys is good relative to their previous results but reports were Anthem spent a lot of money upgrading production. It's not impossible that they spend a lot of money, see numbers that make it look like they are not going to make a return on that investment and decide to move on.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

J-Ro posted:

D'Amore and Callis were at the helm when the whole Kross / Scarlet issue was unfolding. Anthem might be cleaning house a bit?

That's possible, but didn't Kross only name Callis as the problem? I don't think he ever said anything bad about D'Amore.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Jeesh, TNA can't catch a break. Gets positive buzz due to the rebrand and Ospreay/Alexander and good streaming options, some momentum, Scott himself has a passionate promo that got people rumbling a little, and then corporate fuckery hits immediately. I'm not going to sit here and pretend I love TNA or anything outside of having fondness for a lot of the old memories, good and bad, of its PPVs and crazier moments, but I was feeling good about the company and subbed to watch Impact regularly. Getting rid of the one guy who vocally headed up the company is a really bad look, unless there's something bad under the surface that is about to break, in which case...well, that's its own can of worms.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Jeesh, TNA can't catch a break. Gets positive buzz due to the rebrand and Ospreay/Alexander and good streaming options, some momentum, Scott himself has a passionate promo that got people rumbling a little, and then corporate fuckery hits immediately. I'm not going to sit here and pretend I love TNA or anything outside of having fondness for a lot of the old memories, good and bad, of its PPVs and crazier moments, but I was feeling good about the company and subbed to watch Impact regularly. Getting rid of the one guy who vocally headed up the company is a really bad look, unless there's something bad under the surface that is about to break, in which case...well, that's its own can of worms.

Him putting himself on TV as much as he did might even be a reason they got annoyed with him.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

DarkstarIV posted:

Either there is some scandal that unfolded that we have yet to be informed about, or LOLTNA is back on the menu.

My friend, LOLTNA has always been on the menu

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Reports coming out that Scott D'Amore was behind building the relationship between TNA and WWE. Wondering if TNA being associated with WWE during the scandal breaking at Rumble weekend made Anthem mad, on top of everything else stated.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

I felt the TNA is BACK vibes from the crowd at the Kissimmee taping last month so I don’t think it’s because the show is bad

edit: they undersold the floor seats by a good amount and they only set up one bleacher section despite having two on the seating chart, maybe that’s it

MancXVI fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 7, 2024

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Reports coming out that Scott D'Amore was behind building the relationship between TNA and WWE. Wondering if TNA being associated with WWE during the scandal breaking at Rumble weekend made Anthem mad, on top of everything else stated.

The last line of the press release was talking about how the new guy successfully forged a partnership with WWE for the cable company he used to work for, so don’t know if they’re trying to downplay WWE when it comes to their wrestling promotion.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Man, that's WILD. The fact that there's been no reason listed is...troubling, to say the least.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

There is no way this new dude has time to run the day-to-day of a wrestling company right? Especially given how many hats Scott was wearing.

Even if they were unhappy with the post-rebrand metrics that is a hell of a rash decision to make in such a short time, but no one would ever accuse Anthem of being a well-run company I suppose. #FuckThatOwl

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

so because of WWE's rape scandal the TNA president loses their job but not the WWE's president? WWE really can't fail.

flashy_mcflash posted:

There is no way this new dude has time to run the day-to-day of a wrestling company right? Especially given how many hats Scott was wearing.

Even if they were unhappy with the post-rebrand metrics that is a hell of a rash decision to make in such a short time, but no one would ever accuse Anthem of being a well-run company I suppose. #FuckThatOwl

if they really fired him because the TNA reboot didn't make them a giant success in THREE AND HALF WEEKS, then I don't even know.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

assuming nothing scandalous is brewing about d'amore and it's just corporate fuckery, is there any good reason tony khan shouldn't be dialing him up to talk about an office position? he's well-liked and has seems to have a good sense for the business.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Jesus loving Christ

The only things I can assume are

1) corporate bullshit (most likely)
2) D'Amore scandal they found out about (it's wrestling, I wouldn't be surprised, but the only stuff I've heard about is with Callis and that's more why Callis was gone and it never got talked about again)
3) they've been serious about wanting to spend more on the product, they're upset none of the big #FreeAgents (Okada, Ospreay, Mone) are signing there, and they blame D'Amore despite him being a big reason the talent that are there have stayed

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I blame Bubba Ray

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

DLC Inc posted:

I blame Bubb-yer Ray

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Things are already going great!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Scott D'Amore always trying to get himself over might have in fact been the problem:

https://twitter.com/WrestlePurists/status/1755318215083741637

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

What even would a TNA aligned with AXS/Anthem be? Shoot interviews with Sammy Hagar?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Rhonne posted:

Things are already going great!

In retrospect releasing the TNA name from whatever magical binding spell that had trapped and contained it was probably a bad idea.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

flashy_mcflash posted:

What even would a TNA aligned with AXS/Anthem be? Shoot interviews with Sammy Hagar?

They were already doing stuff like Frankie Kazarian doing guest appearances on some AXS shows. If this is really just corporate fuckery it is extremely dumb.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hope Anthem get Vince Russo on the phone. The man's time is now.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

I think the answer is just firing some more office people who you can just use Anthem Entertainment division people for, which given how shoestring the TNA office is... I have no idea who else they'd fire. I guess this might put Garrett Kidney's job at risk again.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Going back to the TNA brand brought a lot of eyes on the products but one of them was the corporate eye of sauron

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

This seems more like a poorly planned corporate reshuffle for any one or number of possible reasons: Power play by the person taking over TNA, D'Amore rubbed some high level exec the wrong way, Execs being unhappy with the metrics/revenue, cost cutting with consolidation, etc etc etc

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

I think the answer is just firing some more office people who you can just use Anthem Entertainment division people for, which given how shoestring the TNA office is... I have no idea who else they'd fire. I guess this might put Garrett Kidney's job at risk again.

Exactly! There's one guy there working on so many different aspects of the product and they fired that guy. And there doesn't seem to be any clear-cut replacement for the booking or talent management. I assume someone at Anthem can rent buildings but even that seemed to be a thing that D'Amore had connections with given how much they ran the same buildings in Windsor and Toronto.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Exactly! There's one guy there working on so many different aspects of the product and they fired that guy. And there doesn't seem to be any clear-cut replacement for the booking or talent management. I assume someone at Anthem can rent buildings but even that seemed to be a thing that D'Amore had connections with given how much they ran the same buildings in Windsor and Toronto.

They are doing a bunch of renovations to the Nashville studio so I think they are just going to run there a lot and maybe Vegas.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I could buy them maybe offering D'amore a pay cut and demotion to just booker and then canning him when he said no

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

I could buy them

Goon project!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

this is so infuriating. i spent all night writing somber and angry parody lyrics to "basic thuganomics" about what's been going on. can't believe it's almost 8:00am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dave thinks it was a budget thing. D'Amore's been trying to get more money spent on the product throughout his time there and been fought on it by everyone; Anthem's been more progressive on it lately in the sense of wanting to put a million into someone like Ospreay, but there's obviously a gulf between that and what he wound up getting from AEW (and was getting offered from WWE) and it sobered them up again. They don't want to bridge that gulf until they get better results warranting it in terms of viewership and publicity, D'Amore argued the show being the best and getting the most positive results in both departments they've had (outside of a one-off) in almost their entire history is like...when else are you gonna do it if not after this/now?