Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Edward Mass posted:

I guess the question should be asked, then: if you don't watch Impact, what would get you to start?

A weekly live show down the street

edit: one that’s not nxt

MancXVI fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
What TNA traditionally did well, there are a lot of indie promotions doing that without as much bullshit. TNA had some incredibly good wrestlers in most of their eras, TNA would usually put a bigger importance on Women's Wrestling during their peaks and they'd get really over, and TNA would jump at the opportunity to have international stars come to their program and just have real good matches. They also weren't afraid to shy away from having totally different wrestling styles highlighted on their program, like tag-team wrestling, hardcore wrestling, Lucha-libre, and Puro. But at every point in their existence where they're actually starting to get their poo poo together, there's always been a change in management that decides they need to be more like WWE.

The thing is, GCW for a while were doing this but better, DPW is doing this but better, PWG has always done this but better, and CHIKARA & SHIMMER for a time was doing this but better, TNA might do it first but there's always an indy company doing it better. They're constantly in a cycle where they're the cutting-edge and then gently caress everything up again.

We've looped back around to the Hogan era takeover, except now they've decided their goal is 2023 NXT.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Going live weekly sounds like a recipe for disaster especially when you have the lack of market share that TNA has. Taping out of the one location? Yeah that's more than reasonable for a company in their position but going live weekly is never going to work.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
It's definitely working great for Beyond Wrestling and Wrestling Open, which I know we all have loved to watch every week for the last two years

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Edward Mass posted:

I guess the question should be asked, then: if you don't watch Impact, what would get you to start?

Turning it into a shoot style promotion.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:

Tampa Bae posted:

But at every point in their existence where they're actually starting to get their poo poo together, there's always been a change in management that decides they need to be more like WWE.

That's literally it right there.

When I started watching old early years, they literally started having more cohesion to the shows around 20 weeks-ish in, it was getting enjoyable at times and then Vince Russo made his first appearance and it's been a giant slog to get through with S.E.X angle, etc
:negative:

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Tampa Bae posted:

The thing is, GCW for a while were doing this but better, DPW is doing this but better, PWG has always done this but better, and CHIKARA & SHIMMER for a time was doing this but better, TNA might do it first but there's always an indy company doing it better. They're constantly in a cycle where they're the cutting-edge and then gently caress everything up again.
DPW? That's a new one on me, but are they the new hotness?

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.
Last real chance for TNA was likely when they were in talks with Heyman and they balked at his demands. IIRC he was going to focus the promotion on Bryan Danielson and bring the at the time indy scene to the forefront. All they can be is a relatively minor wrestling promotion with a handful of diehard fans, not unlike a lot of indies and regionals. You aren't going to grow an audience on AXS doing what everyone else does, and better. You definitely aren't gonna do it with live TV. I'd rather spend that money on talent but that's just me.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Warthur posted:

DPW? That's a new one on me, but are they the new hotness?
They're based out of the Carolinas, and funded by the guys who have been doing NewLegacyInc for the last decade, more or less. They've always got top of the indies type wrestlers on their show and try and bring in every type of wrestler they can. They were actually one of the first promotions that believed in Japanese Death Match Legend Luther, and they're always booking top indie and international stars like Miyu and Rina Yamashita, Calvin Tankman, Bryan Keith, et all. They don't quite have the momentum of PWG shows but they should

They have a podcast where they review random bullshit in wrestling and don't manage to be offensive too, so that's a big up

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Not where I expected Alex Hammerstone to go

https://twitter.com/WrestlingCovers/status/1763382023698141445?s=20

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

they're back to being TNA so they needed a new Matt Morgan

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

Tampa Bae posted:

They're based out of the Carolinas, and funded by the guys who have been doing NewLegacyInc for the last decade, more or less. They've always got top of the indies type wrestlers on their show and try and bring in every type of wrestler they can. They were actually one of the first promotions that believed in Japanese Death Match Legend Luther, and they're always booking top indie and international stars like Miyu and Rina Yamashita, Calvin Tankman, Bryan Keith, et all. They don't quite have the momentum of PWG shows but they should

They have a podcast where they review random bullshit in wrestling and don't manage to be offensive too, so that's a big up

"gently caress the WWE-"

"OH HELL YEAH!"

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

this would win me over.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Glass Punkbull 141 posted:

"gently caress the WWE-"

"OH HELL YEAH!"

Every time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogg3trO6CBc

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

forkboy84 posted:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

Dave says Hard To Kill did great, early numbers are around 8000 buys. Biggest number they've done since Kenny Omega/Rich Swann, at least the third-biggest (final count could raise it to 2nd-biggest) since the Spike TV days. And this is with it competing against an NFL playoff game (Chiefs/Dolphins) and the first hour of Okada and Ospreay's final New Japan PPV

Final numbers were 19,700 TV PPV buys (more than double Bound for Glory 2023, which was already considered a huge success), easily eclipses Kenny/Swann, and counting streaming buys did around 60,000. Same as the record, Joe/Kurt at Genesis 2006

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I'd expected he'd go to the NWA, but lol.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

edogawa rando posted:

I'd expected he'd go to the NWA, but lol.

NWA won't offer contracts to older wrestlers they only want to sign really young ones they can underpay.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.

Chris James 2 posted:

Final numbers were 19,700 TV PPV buys (more than double Bound for Glory 2023, which was already considered a huge success), easily eclipses Kenny/Swann, and counting streaming buys did around 60,000. Same as the record, Joe/Kurt at Genesis 2006

Looking back it really is amazing how much they screwed the pooch on the original TNA. I lived through it and know it did not deserve fond memories overall, but the fact that a nostalgic rebrand brought them back to their highest high is really stunning to me.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Chris James 2 posted:

:stare: for a promotion with WAY less market share than 2006, that’s pretty outstanding.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

UnleashedDad posted:

Looking back it really is amazing how much they screwed the pooch on the original TNA. I lived through it and know it did not deserve fond memories overall, but the fact that a nostalgic rebrand brought them back to their highest high is really stunning to me.

Dixie Carter burning the Spike relationship by secretly keeping Russo involved despite promising them he wasn't has to be one of the greatest examples of a wrestling company shooting itself in the foot for no reason

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
extremely true.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Dixie Carter burning the Spike relationship by secretly keeping Russo involved despite promising them he wasn't has to be one of the greatest examples of a wrestling company shooting itself in the foot for no reason

And also that it was exposed because Russo himself emailed Mike Johnson of pwinsider instead of Mike tenay with the script or a rundown for a show and then emails Johnson with "bro, can you not report this" :lol:

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Mike Jones not a bro *shakes head solemnly*

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

who?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Sacrifice is tomorrow

The Rascalz (Trey Miguel and Zachary Wentz) vs Speedball Mountain (Mike Bailey and Trent Seven) in a preshow match
Josh Alexander vs Alex Hammerstone
Time Machine (Chris Sabin, KUSHIDA and Alex Shelley) vs Mustafa Ali and Grizzled Young Vets (Zack Gibson and James Drake)
PCO vs Kon in a no-DQ match
MK Ultra (Masha Slamovich and Killer Kelly) defend the Knockouts tag titles against Dani Luna and Jody Threat
Jordynne Grace defends the Knockouts title in a triple threat against Tasha Steelz and Xia Brookside
Bullet Club (Ace Austin and Chris Bey) defend the tag titles against the System (Eddie Edwards and Brian Myers)
Nic Nemeth defends the New Japan Global title against Steve Maclin
Moose defends the world title against Eric Young

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 8, 2024

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Alex Shelly is probably turning heel on KUSHISA, and I don’t know how to feel about this.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Chris James 2 posted:

Sackerfice is tomorrow

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Do you think TNA picks up Kevin Kelly now that he’s been fired from AEW? Maybe NWA is a more likely place for him to pop up.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Ganso Bomb posted:

Do you think TNA picks up Kevin Kelly now that he’s been fired from AEW? Maybe NWA is a more likely place for him to pop up.

TNA doesn’t need Kevin Kelly - Tom Hannifan is the best PBP guy they’ve had since Mike Tenay (if not better), and I doubt TNA would spend any money for someone who just does Xplosion.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

UnleashedDad posted:

The history of TNA from inception to even now is a company being handed opportunity after opportunity and squandering it every single time so they could rehash some 90's bullshit.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Edward Mass posted:

TNA doesn’t need Kevin Kelly - Tom Hannifan is the best PBP guy they’ve had since Mike Tenay (if not better), and I doubt TNA would spend any money for someone who just does Xplosion.

Is he the one that sounds like Fozzie Bear?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ganso Bomb posted:

No, he's going to do a grifter podcast and maybe try to get Big Dick Johnson's old job at TPUSA.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

MancXVI posted:

Is he the one that sounds like Fozzie Bear?

He's the former Tom Phillips of WWE, I don't know anything about Fozzie Bear.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Edward Mass posted:

I don't know anything about Fozzie Bear.

:stat: :wal: "Our hero! Do ho ho!"

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

MassRafTer posted:

No, he's going to do a grifter podcast and maybe try to get Big Dick Johnson's old job at TPUSA.

That was also high on my list of guesses (well, the first half at least)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

i didn't even know they broke up, i liked Lump

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

Sacrifice feed just dead in app.

Oh TNA. :lmao:

Edit: oh it's back yay

Miching Mallecho fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 9, 2024

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Sacrifice aftermath:

The System hold the gold; Moose retained the world title (thanks to interference from Frankie Kazarian), and Eddie Edwards and Brian Myers won the tag titles
Eric Young's working per-appearance, is he going back to HHH soon/after this weekend's tapings?
Dani Luna and Jody Threat won the Knockouts tag titles. Masha Slamovich shoved away Killer Kelly after
Alex Hammerstone beat Josh Alexander in his first match since signing with the company
Chris Sabin accidentally cost his team the match, but does everyone think it was an accident?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I came in late to the show and missed this lol

https://twitter.com/garrettkidney/status/1766544280275824855