Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Looks like D'Amore put together financing to try to buy TNA from Anthem, got rebuffed and knew it was a matter of time for him.

https://twitter.com/WrestlingNewsCo/status/1755660912659493161

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
If true, I can see why Anthem canned him - they didn’t want a hostile takeover of the company.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

was scott booking tna too or just running it?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Both. I think maybe Gail and Dreamer occasionally stepped in but pretty sure D'Amore did most of it.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

It was D'Amore, Gail, Dreamer and RD Evans.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

quote:

SCOTT D'AMORE ATTEMPTED TO PURCHASE TNA, WHO'S HEADING CREATIVE, WHAT'S THE FUTURE FOR THE COMPANY AND MORE TNA NEWS & NOTES

By Mike Johnson on 2024-02-08 13:01:00

As the dust settles on the Scott D’Amore firing, here are some updates based on what PWInsider.com has been able to ascertain:

TNA is not going away. One question we received from a few readers is whether this was just the beginning of Anthem doing away with TNA. That is not the case, we are told. Anthem is fully prepared to keep moving forward with the promotion. Remember, the company was prepared to make big offers to Will Ospreay (who told PWInsider.com that it almost made him reconsider going to AEW) and CM Punk. That means Anthem was and is ready to move forward and spend money on the right talent or event.

Why was D’Amore fired? There were a lot of people assuming something salacious happened to lead to D’Amore’s exit but we are told by sources close to Anthem that wasn’t the case. While no one is clear as to why this decision was made, over the last day, the belief seems to settle on the idea that Len Asper, the head of Anthem, and D’Amore came to a cross-road where they disagreed on how TNA should be operated and only one person was going to win that butting of the heads - Asper.

The word making the rounds over the last day or so is that at some point in recent weeks, D’Amore approached Anthem with an offer to buy TNA outright from Anthem, said to have been backed by a letter with a major banking institution, but it was rebuffed. We have heard from some on the Anthem side that it was seen as a legitimate offer that was worthy of consideration, but the decision was made not to accept.

If you are making an offer to buy the asset and walk away with it, that means D’Amore knew the clock was ticking on the job. We are told D’Amore was aware at least a week to ten days ago the change was coming, so this wasn’t a shock firing out of nowhere, even if it was announced yesterday. We are told there were lots of meetings to plan out how things would work post-D'Amore and that Anthem took a look at everything internally they could improve upon by integrating TNA under their entertainment wing. This asn’t some knee-jerk reaction that something evil that “had happened”, but that hasn’t stopped some from assuming that because Vince McMahon was exposed, that something "surely" happened with D’Amore - even if that’s not rooted in reality.

Who is Anthony Cicone? In asking around in the entertainment industry about Cicone, we are told that he has the reputation for being a stand-person and a really smart executive who will listen to feedback as opposed to “just bulldozing the room”, as one person told me. He was a top exec at The Score in Canada when WWE moved there, so he has some working knowledge of what pro wrestling offers to its partners and we are told he has been overseeing some internal changes coming to AXS TV in the weeks ahead. We have been given nothing but positive comments about him from those who have had past experience working with Cicone. Although he has never run a pro wrestling company before, the expectation is he will lean in on the expertise of others and consider their thoughts.

What does an integration with Anthem look like? PWInsider.com is told that there's already talk of cross-pollinating TNA stars on AXS TV programming and possibly even in future films distributed by Anthem's Gravitas Ventures. Anthem believes that folding TNA under the entertainment banner will bring them more opportunities for the brand to maximize money for each side.

Who’s running creative? The current belief among TNA talents is that the remainder of Scott D’Amore’s creative team and support staff remain in place. Gail Kim and Tommy Dreamer ran the initial Zoom meeting yesterday informing the talent of D’Amore’s exit. Those are two veterans who command respect with talents. There were no exits yesterday or today, which means RD Evans remains with creative, Lou D’Angeli remains in marketing and working on logistics, etc.

Was anyone offered a release? I don’t know where this started but in talking to sources in Anthem and the TNA locker room, we are told that was never brought up in conversation in either company meeting yesterday. It’s possible a talent, while frustrated, blurted out they wanted a release, but we are told that no rep for the company issued an offer for anyone who was signed to be released from their current deal. Could someone request and receive one? It’s always possible, just like any other company would handle talent on a one on one basis, but in terms of a blanket release, that’s not happening.

Is TNA Moving to Canada? Is the Nashville office closing? These were questions we were asked a lot over the course of yesterday. TNA sources insist the Nashville office isn’t going anywhere and there’s always a possibility they could tape at Skyway Studios again, as they have in the past. Anthem is a Canadian company and they obviously get good tax breaks locally for utilizing Canadian staff and talent, but if there’s a plan to pull up stakes and only run Canada, that would pretty much be throwing in the towel for building TNA even further and while there is always a possibility, I don’t get the sense that’s where Anthem’s head is in the game right now.

What next? TNA has the No Surrender PPV and a TV taping in New Orleans at the end of this month. They are running Windsor, Ontario (which may lead to some awkwardness with the live crowd to be sure) and Philadelphia in March. We are told that the company was working on their game plan for April and beyond this week. There was a hope among some they could pivot to live TV on AXS TV eventually. Whether that happens or not, the remaining team will push forward to create content and, if all works out, continue to maintain the consistency TNA has brought to fans the last few years. Everyone moves forward and continues to do their jobs and eventually, becomes used to the new normal, just as all of us would if and when there are changes at our places of business.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TNA's creative was being run by Gail Kim, Tommy Dreamer, Sign Guy Dudley & the Wrestlecrap guy?

EDIT: No, not quite. RD Evans is Archibald Peck, RD Reynolds is Wrestlecrap guy. That's slightly less funny.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I believe Lance Storm is an agent too.

But yeah, they should maybe have worked out something to keep this quiet or keep D'amore on through the Windsor tapings at least, cuz that could be rough with the live crowd.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
The bit about Cicone is encouraging if nothing else, hopefully that's some relief to those who were expecting a Herd-style dipshit to come in and ruin everything

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Yeah, it seems like for what it is it was basically handled as well as it could be, but it sucks that it broke how it did and Scott being so beloved is definitely tricky with the timing and all. Hope he gets picked up by another company; he likely has a lot to offer.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Yeah, it seems like for what it is it was basically handled as well as it could be, but it sucks that it broke how it did and Scott being so beloved is definitely tricky with the timing and all. Hope he gets picked up by another company; he likely has a lot to offer.

thinking he had a lot to offer was what got him fired in the first place

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

forkboy84 posted:

TNA's creative was being run by Gail Kim, Tommy Dreamer, Sign Guy Dudley & the Wrestlecrap guy?

EDIT: No, not quite. RD Evans is Archibald Peck, RD Reynolds is Wrestlecrap guy. That's slightly less funny.

Glad I’m not the only one constantly getting them mixed up. It seemed a very TNA thing to have the Wrestlecrap guy on creative so I didn’t even second guess myself.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ganso Bomb posted:

Glad I’m not the only one constantly getting them mixed up. It seemed a very TNA thing to have the Wrestlecrap guy on creative so I didn’t even second guess myself.

There's only space for one RD in my brain & I guess I read Wrestlecrap long before I saw marching band guy in Chikara

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:same: tbh

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i can remember different people

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

One wrote a book, the other entered to Any Way You Want It and got fired during the WWE Hall of Fame ceremony. It's very simple.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

theres only a select few assholes with the fake rear end name RD and we are blessed both work in wrestling

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

3 if you include RD Rory Fox

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

more like scott n’amore

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

quote:

Meltzer: Scott D'Amore wanted to sign Braun Strowman and was going to build Bound For Glory 2021 around his arrival. Anthem said no because of the money he was asking for and felt he wouldn't improve business at the time

:lol: yeah no I'm glad he got told no to paying Braun a million dollars, actually

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Chris James 2 posted:

:lol: yeah no I'm glad he got told no to paying Braun a million dollars, actually

OTOH Anthem sucks and D'Amore had more hits than misses. I am giving Corpo Tony the benefit of doubt for now but this ain't great.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
On the OTHER hand, it's better for wrestling that Anthem bought TNA Wrestling, as opposed to Billy Corgan or WWE.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

So how's it going Anthem?

https://twitter.com/seanrosssapp/status/1758170053604700553

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The TNA Meccasylum crew are firmly onside with Anthem here, which tracks for them being the worst.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, they’ve got a week to figure this out.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

It's pretty cool to see an actual show of solidarity in wrestling for once.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

flashy_mcflash posted:

The TNA Meccasylum crew are firmly onside with Anthem here, which tracks for them being the worst.

What's their reasoning? Just that Scott made that purchase offer?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Power Windows posted:

Pretty much, and "a wrestling company should be run like a business" types of stuff, and hoping that this new exec will develop a more entertainment product and less of an "Indy" one.

You can check it out for yourself!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Power Windows posted:

fwiw according to Meltzer the offer to buy TNA came after they told Scott he was going to be fired.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

I regret entering the asylum.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I know this may come as a shock to some of you, but I have never been that website.

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Edward Mass posted:

I know this may come as a shock to some of you, but I have never been that website.

:same:

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
tna asylum is required reading for the bad takes thread, so i get it.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/WONF4W/status/1758516480419729653

Getting rid of the guy who turned TNA around in favour of the guy they had to put into hibernation because he endorsed sex crimes is... interesting.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Yeah... That sucks man. Does the locker room like Dreamer? I'd like to think they'd keep up the pressure but if they're cool with him then TNA will be moving to the Pay No Mind list for me

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Just when I was thinking of paying for their YouTube subscription thing, they pull me back out

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Ganso Bomb posted:

Just when I was thinking of paying for their YouTube subscription thing, they pull me back out

lmfao I'm in the same boat. I subscribed because it's cheap and the shows I had seen were awesome and then immediately they do this

TNA really can't catch a break. Like clockwork they pull me in with a run of great shows, I watch for a while, and then bounce. I'll stick it out a little more but what a way to start the new era.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
To be fair there is nothing more TNA than them finally going on a run that makes people want to pay attention and then immediately loving all that good will straight in the bin in favour of a guy last relevant in the 90's.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Delirious + Tommy is even more of a dream team than Tommy in charge. This is why SRS has lapped Shave Seltzer.

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1758559371150180604

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Me last year: I wish Anthem paid a bit more attention to the good stuff TNA is doing and finally backed them up fully.
Me this year: gently caress.

By all accounts Tommy has been well liked in his backstage role, but unless he's getting booking direction e-mails from Scott I don't see him doing a great job as the head booker RD is cool but lmao Dreamer AND Delirious. Should've went with Gail Kim you owl cowards.

Oh well, they've got me till the end of 2024 on my TNA+ sub and after that it's back to not paying too much attention to domestic stuff I guess.

J-Ro fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 16, 2024