Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I’ve never really gotten Mike Bailey even though I feel like I’m supposed to. His matches all seem the same and there’s just something too performancy about them that takes me out of it. I really don’t know how to explain it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Josh Alexander is really awesome, but I think being part of TNA is what helps him feel awesome. I would hope he could be great in Japan should he choose to depart. but I think Anthem getting its poo poo together would likely be better for everyone. In AEW he unfortunately would be coming in at a time that is too top-heavy for him to stand out like he should (and while I would love to see him toss people around in ROH I don't really think that's the best thing for him either) and WWE wouldn't really know what to do with his strengths since they hate when anyone is explosive if it's not their chosen guys. If he could keep his ring style like Dragunov or GUNTHER maybe it could work, but also selfishly I just don't want him to go to the company that makes people wrestle half-speed and I've no desire to watch. :shrug:

Then again, maybe I'm wrong and he could be cool in AEW. Let him show up and toss Eddie around. But yeah, I'd prefer if all these talents would be able to successfully get Anthem to bend by coming together.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

MassRafTer posted:

There definitely isn't. If you were to create another American promotion based on unsigned people and people with expiring TNA contracts you'd have another promotion with no TV running multiple tapings at a time in front of 800-1,000 people. It'd be like what happened when Wrestle-1 formed out of All Japan, not good for anyone.

:/ yeah, that sounds about right

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Ganso Bomb posted:

I’ve never really gotten Mike Bailey even though I feel like I’m supposed to. His matches all seem the same and there’s just something too performancy about them that takes me out of it. I really don’t know how to explain it.

Bailey always comes off as someone who's having a blast wrestling, which is neat most of the time but can undercut the drama of his matches a bit

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The best outcome of a TNA exodus in terms of making another US player is if New Japan used Alexander and Speedball for US shows and a few tours a year. Alexander is a good wrestler but doesn't excite me, but I bet he'd be great in that kind of a role. Speedball bores me on the indies but his BotSJ run was great.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.
My guess is maybe a couple people leave TNA when their contract is up but it mostly just keeps chugging along as it always has. Wrestlers in America never seem to band together together when they should and the letter is just kinda pathetic.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Ganso Bomb posted:

Yeah I was that way for him but his BOSJ run was good and his match with Ospreay was good so I think doing like a year in New Japan doing US dates and tours would help him get the polish needed to potentially get to the next level

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I feel like in order to start a successful promotion nowadays you either need established stars and a lot of money (Tony Khan with The Elite/Cody/Jericho) or a (relatively) large, devoted, established fanbase that you know will give you enough money that you can reliably make a budget (Deadlock with DPW).

I'm not sure there's any room for NOAH, but for TNA.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Edward Mass posted:

People who say wrestlers in TNA would be better pushed in AEW should look at the wrestlers who made the same jump since 2020 - they all fit the pattern of “get a push, briefly, then slum in in ROH”.
This describes Ethan Page and who else? I guess arguably Taya Valkyrie but she also had a WWE/NXT stopover in between TNA and AEW. Willie Mack?

And then on the other side you have Big Bill, the Kingdom, and (it's early yet but) Deonna Purrazzo. Who else is there, RVD?

Ethan Page also really did not get that much of a push in TNA either, outside of winning the tag titles with Josh Alexander. In terms of singles matches he was like 3-12 in his Impact run, including losing to Hornswoggle a couple of months before he left the company.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.
Pro wrestling has evolved so much in the past ten years that to stick out as a promotion you need to devolve essentially. We are in a golden age where great matches are plentiful and you can find anything that suits your tastes. I dunno where you go from here honestly. Regional promotions with washed out local football stars to slap each other around? Promotions like Chikara? No idea, but the current paradigm can only handle two promotions. A third would need to be vastly different and that ain't TNA.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

this should be the time and place for party world rasslin to undergo a resurgance...

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Global Force Wrestling could've been the messiah third brand but TK bought Jarrett out to smother the competition :(

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

UnleashedDad posted:

Pro wrestling has evolved so much in the past ten years that to stick out as a promotion you need to devolve essentially. We are in a golden age where great matches are plentiful and you can find anything that suits your tastes. I dunno where you go from here honestly. Regional promotions with washed out local football stars to slap each other around? Promotions like Chikara? No idea, but the current paradigm can only handle two promotions. A third would need to be vastly different and that ain't TNA.

I was hopeful that the NWA would fill a weirdo third spot because the presentation of Powerrrrrrrrr was so fun and unique when it started, but of course we all know how things have gone there.

But I feel like that’s the thing you need to hit on. You’re not going to be produced like WWE and you’re going to struggle to match an insane roster and matches like AEW has, so finding a secret third thing feels essential.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Even if a new company could find a way to stand out like say going all in on Lucha you still have to compete with online streaming that already have filled in a lot of these markets. You'd need a major league production and time slot and the talent and that just isn't out there unlike when AEW launched

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

ominous (also lol just now realized that Speedball used the wrong one)

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
That is frankly too many people to fit into Karrion Kross's new stable.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

what’s tge NOAH to TNA’s All Japan gonna be called?

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Enter the Dinghy Gate

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

i think its time for TNA shooto or perhaps TNA bareknuckle boxing

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Josh will be around for at least another year, don't worry!

https://twitter.com/SI_wrestling/status/1759956489811137003

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
That tweet is worded in a pretty misleading way, "a former world champion is extending his stay in TNA" suggests that it was his decision when the article unequivocally states that the option was exercised at the sole discretion of the promotion.

I don't point that out as evidence that Alexander's trapped in TNA or anything like that (he is, at the very least, saying the right things in the article), just wanted to make the discrepancy clear to anyone who doesn't click through.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://x.com/ThisIsTNA/status/1759956904565002574?s=20

even he looks confused

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Is this like one of those things where WWE adds time on for injury, or something like the contract states that TNA can extend the contract even if the person doesn’t necessarily want to be there? The wording feels so weird to me.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ganso Bomb posted:

Is this like one of those things where WWE adds time on for injury, or something like the contract states that TNA can extend the contract even if the person doesn’t necessarily want to be there? The wording feels so weird to me.

The contract has an option for TNA to extend it, like many sports contracts do. Many AEW contracts are like this, one or two year deals with additional option years. So when the guaranteed term is up the company can then add an additional year at whatever rate was agreed to at the time.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

It seems to be extended to cover injury time but man, they couldn't have phrased that any more suspiciously huh

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

It seems to be extended to cover injury time but man, they couldn't have phrased that any more suspiciously huh

Unless someone is reporting this I don't think this was the case and I don't even think he was out long enough with injury for those to go into effect (I think that they are six months in WWE deals) and that wouldn't be enough to extend him into 2025.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

His wife sounds thrilled.

https://twitter.com/JadeChung11/status/1759959807899898229

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

it is your birthday.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The most TNA thing possible would be for them to turn this into an "Our workers don't want to be here" angle

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

xbilkis posted:

The most TNA thing possible would be for them to turn this into an "Our workers don't want to be here" angle

They could have Bully Ray represent Anthem and Tommy Dreamer represent the hourglass talent and do a big feud.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Ganso Bomb posted:

it is your birthday.

"Well...congratulations."

(https://twitter.com/ohnohedidnt24/status/1759426241696833665)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Trying posted:

what’s tge NOAH to TNA’s All Japan gonna be called?

Does this make Global Force Wrestling the SWS/WAR to TNA's All Japan?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

TNA has exercised their one year option on Josh Alexander's contract, and we've now got more information.

Fightful has learned that Alexander's TNA deal would have been up on February 14, which if the option year was not exercised, he would have been a free agent. As the deal was two years with a company option year, TNA picked that up. Alexander's current deal expires on February 14, 2025, at what point he'll be a free agent unless another extension is reached.

There were many speculating that Alexander's deal was extended as a result of injury time, but we're told that actually isn't the case. While Alexander was sidelined, he was working backstage and as a producer, so the clock was still ticking on his contract.

UPDATE:

Around the time we'd published this article, we'd heard some rumors internally that Josh Alexander had asked for his release prior. However, we're told that wasn't quite the case. Instead, Alexander had requested that TNA not pick up his option. He was open to negotiating a new deal, but he wanted to survey the landscape if possible. However, TNA did exercise the option, and there are no concerns from the company about Alexander meeting his contractual obligations and working hard while he's there.

We're also told internally a "re-signs" graphic was made for Alexander's announcement, before being changed to "extended." In actuality, it's TNA exercising their third year options. For those in the comments asking about that, it was TNA's call within the contract for that to happen.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/JohnGaburick/status/604035002146373632

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Just some words to live by:

"You can take the TNA out of LOL, but you cannot take the LOL out of TNA"

- Sun Tzu

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

For better or worse, the roster's first meeting with management post-D'Amore is scheduled for tomorrow. Which means they have a whole PPV to have before that, tonight

No Surrender:

The System (Eddie Edwards and Brian Myers) vs Intergalactic Jet Setters (KUSHIDA and Kevin Knight) in a preshow match
Speedball Mountain (Speedball Mike Bailey and Trent Seven) vs the Rascalz (Trey Miguel and Zachary Wentz) in a preshow match
PCO vs Kon
Josh Alexander vs Simon Gotch
Frankie Kazarian vs Eric Young, winner gets a world title shot at Sacrifice March 8
Decay (Rosemary and Jessicka Havok) defend the Knockouts tag titles against MKUltra (Masha Slamovich and Killer Kelly)
Bullet Club (Ace Austin and Chris Bey) defend the tag titles in the final match of a Best-of-3 series against Grizzled Young Vets (James Drake and Zack Gibson)
Jordynne Grace defends the Knockouts title against Gisele Shaw
Chris Sabin defends the X title against Mustafa Ali
Moose defends the world title against Alex Shelley in a No Surrender Rules match; match ends when a cornerman throws in the towel

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Chris James 2 posted:

For better or worse, the roster's first meeting with management post-D'Amore is scheduled for tomorrow. Which means they have a whole PPV to have before that, tonight

No Surrender:

The System (Eddie Edwards and Brian Myers) vs Intergalactic Jet Setters (KUSHIDA and Kevin Knight) in a preshow match
Speedball Mountain (Speedball Mike Bailey and Trent Seven) vs the Rascalz (Trey Miguel and Zachary Wentz) in a preshow match
PCO vs Kon
Josh Alexander vs Simon Gotch
Frankie Kazarian vs Eric Young, winner gets a world title shot at Sacrifice March 8
Decay (Rosemary and Jessicka Havok) defend the Knockouts tag titles against MKUltra (Masha Slamovich and Killer Kelly)
Bullet Club (Ace Austin and Chris Bey) defend the tag titles in the final match of a Best-of-3 series against Grizzled Young Vets (James Drake and Zack Gibson)
Jordynne Grace defends the Knockouts title against Gisele Shaw
Chris Sabin defends the X title against Mustafa Ali
Moose defends the world title against Alex Shelley in a No Surrender Rules match; match ends when a cornerman throws in the towel

A No Surrender match where the match can only end via surrender is why TNA is back.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

MassRafTer posted:

A No Surrender match where the match can only end via surrender is why TNA is back.

*scribbles on card*

No, Surrender!

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
it's an interesting card on its own and there's real trainwreck potential with the management situation, so hell, I'll watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Huh. It is only $10. Maybe I’ll give it a shot if we don’t find anything else to watch tonight, though I think Friday is usually Drag Race night. Tough call.