Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Good for them, I know Hard to Kill actually gave me an itch to check out TNA.

So I got a TNA+ sub, it's only $10 for the month, I've started watching TNA, from the beginning.

I'm up to, on the app it's #13 but they have a X-division clip show as #12 so in reality up to episode 12 of NWA-TNA.

So far I think Jerry Lynn, amazing red, and AJ are great.

Everything else on the other hand :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

Oh I thought about doing that before embarking on starting at the beginning, skipping ahead to the better years, but honestly it's so fascinating and horrifying to see what they thought was fine to air.

At one point, I think it might have been episode 10, Bruce and the whole ms.tna thing, the crowd just being homophobic during his promo and it's bleeped out because it's the fight network versions and I'm just :stare: during the whole thing

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

I'm up to episode #14 watching TNA from the start and something happened that made me immediately have to write it down.

So the main event is Jeff Jarrett vs B.G. james(road dogg)

And James does the stupidest promo before the match which includes the line "it ain't nothing but a B to the G thing and you're about to feel my B to the G sting. It's B.G. James and the G stands for Get it,got it, good"

:psyduck:

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

Well, got to #20 of NWA-TNA, I'm right in the middle of it.

I got some thoughts:

Brian Lawler and April cuckold story that has hit the "Brian lawler fakes a heart attack after losing to Syxx-pac" was something I didn't know happened. :wtc:

I loving despise Brian James.

I mean I expected the homophobia and casual racism with TNA, so I kinda braced myself with that poo poo and Jeff Jarrett in one of the earlier episodes saying "this is reverse racism" after Truth won the belt,atleast that made me laugh because of the absurdity coming out of Jeff's mouth but Brian James and his bullshit unfunny promos in like 3 episodes have made me have an existential crisis every time.

And that he was 33 years old at the time too as he lumbers around :psyduck:

Edit: watching #21 and James Mitchell debuts a new member of his evil group, Bella Donna. And man did I get sad. I thought "wow, let me see what she's doing" and she died in 2019, she was 40 years old. :smith:

Edit: Jesus christ in #22, they just start using the f slur :psyduck: I was expecting it one of these days because of AJ but I'm still shocked and of course it was road dogg

Miching Mallecho fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 30, 2024

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:sigh:

Well got to the "Vince Russo makes his on-screen debut" of NWA-TNA

First of all, I don't get why his stupid first promo, in episode #23, is saying that the company is poo poo, it's like in the first episode with everyone saying how lovely it is to win the title in a gauntlet for the gold match.

The terrorizing of Athena, I had already watched this infamous segment clipped but I didn't know that literally on the debut of TNA there were Athena signs and since then I was dreading this episode because now I know just how over she was with the crowd.

Horrid treatment for her that got worst when you get the full context

Then you got the infamous Piper promo in episode 24,I've seen the promo before but in the context of a weekly wrestling show, it's so random...and he's advertising his book while yelling at Russo about killing Owen :stare:

And then in episode 25, which I'm in the middle of, Slash and Brian Lee lose the tag titles to the loving Harris idiots and then it gets reversed by Percy Pringle and the NWA :lol:

You can literally tell when Russo started influencing the loving finishes even more and thank god for the X division because without that, this place would've closed down by episode 3.

Now I'm not saying Slash and Brian are a great pair of wrestlers but drat it; Them,James Mitchell, and BellaDonna got over with me

:dance:
https://streamable.com/19vwyw?src=player-page-share
:dance:

One sad quote from Curt Henning when he sat down with Tenay before the title match with Jeff,hit me hard

"I know right now at the age of 35 ,that I can go out right now and perform the same as twenty years ago"

You can hear him have trouble breathing and he was actually 44 at the time, so he was already completely messed up and we'd lose him in feb, two months after this show :smith:

Edit: #26, the last show for 2002.
I'm literally shocked when Animal and Hawk come out of nowhere. I didn't know they were in TNA

Then I'm shocked again at the end when David flair comes out of nowhere holding a loving AX, a literal AX upside down to attack Curt Henning. And then Elix skipper pushes it out of the ring when it's on the mat :lol:

Edit 2: first TNA episode of 2003, #27. It finally happened. We got a loving Ax handle on a pole match with henning and David flair. :laffo:
No wonder Jerry Jarrett hated Russo

Edit 3: :lol: the end of #28 :lol: the crowd just dead silent as Mr.wrestling 4 unmasks and it's Nikita Koloff,nobody cares and neither do I. :lol:

Edit 4: Schiavone is here on episode #30, and this sucks. Tony shouldn't be doing this stupid worked shoot Vince Russo bullshit. Tony and Tenay "shooting" on each other :shepface:

Miching Mallecho fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 3, 2024

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

Jeff said that Toby turned down a White House trip to sing at TNA

:unsmith:

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

apophenium posted:

For the record you do not under any circumstances "gotta hand it" to Tony Keith, even if he did a perfect vertical suplex on Jeff Jarrett that one time
I'm not a country music type and...
Well I just looked it up and I didn't know he did a song literally about lynching :psyduck: :wtf:

Unless there's something else more too....

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:psyduck:

Their return to TNA name and the first PPV of 2024 did well, atleast from what I remember when meltzer was talking about the buy rates

I wonder what happened

Edit: corporate fuckery it is. :psyduck:

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

Just remembered no surrender was on...TOP DOLLA?!
:wtc: didn't know he was here

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

Wait, hold up.

So it's a no surrender match and your corner people have to throw in the towel for you to lose, I get that.

What I just didn't understand is, it's no DQ but the corner people can't interfere...? :psyduck:

edit: AHHHH THE TURNBUCKLE twisting the fingers

Edit: eh. I'd give that ** , felt like it never really picked up. Is that usually how a moose match goes, in terms of speed

Miching Mallecho fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 24, 2024

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:golfclap:

Very nice Spanish fly

Also

:stonk: owwwww

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

What's mustafa's gimmick now?

Is he the president of wrestling?

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

He is doing the really bad campaign gimmick that wrestlers love to do and is just bad.

Yeah I don't really remember any campaign gimmick that has ever been good.

Also

Jesus Christ that sliding turnbuckle spot Ali did :stonk:

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

Tampa Bae posted:

But at every point in their existence where they're actually starting to get their poo poo together, there's always been a change in management that decides they need to be more like WWE.

That's literally it right there.

When I started watching old early years, they literally started having more cohesion to the shows around 20 weeks-ish in, it was getting enjoyable at times and then Vince Russo made his first appearance and it's been a giant slog to get through with S.E.X angle, etc
:negative:

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Dixie Carter burning the Spike relationship by secretly keeping Russo involved despite promising them he wasn't has to be one of the greatest examples of a wrestling company shooting itself in the foot for no reason

And also that it was exposed because Russo himself emailed Mike Johnson of pwinsider instead of Mike tenay with the script or a rundown for a show and then emails Johnson with "bro, can you not report this" :lol:

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

Sacrifice feed just dead in app.

Oh TNA. :lmao:

Edit: oh it's back yay

Miching Mallecho fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010