Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I think Speedball's winning at some point this year, just not this soon
Josh I don't want winning it again for a while, his run was dominant and he cleared out the division/beat everyone but Shelley

I think Moose was the right call, and I'm happy about everything on the show that happened except Top Dolla showing up; if he's not a long-term/full-time signing I'm whatever about it. The pop for Nemeth was legit impressive, wonder if it'd been louder if he hadn't shown up at the Dome first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/meraWRESTLING/status/1746811010260877726?s=20

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Yeah, if he stops appearing on AEW it’s because either he wanted that or AEW wanted that

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.instagram.com/p/C2LuQ7oOnc4/?hl=en&img_index=1

Alex Shelley posted:

It’s pretty ironic that I lose my @impactwrestling World Title to @moosenation69 the day before @rainmakerxokada returns to TNA. Kazuchika and I have known each other since the first photo here was taken in 2006.

Four years after that, he came to TNA on excursion for exactly 22 months. I remember the first time we shared a hotel room - we stayed up way too late playing GTA and talking about Final Fantasy. He got his own apartment and every week I would stay with him. We were two young wrestlers who wanted to make their marks on the industry but felt stuck; so we studied, trained, and tried to survive, emotionally, mentally.

When this happens? It’s so hard to continue to love wrestling. It’s like a date that saw you enamored with their charm and beauty whereas they see you as someone who’s really nice. We had so many matches, meals, laughs, and video game sessions together.

He stayed with my family during Thanksgiving and when we said goodbye at the airport, before he went back to Japan, we both teared up because we didn’t know if we’d ever really see each other again. As soon as he got home, he sent me the original Rainmaker costume designs and we talked about it as if it were a Japanese Razor Ramon. I suggested the money drop from the ceiling if he gets the chance, and he told me about the name coming from a film Gedo San liked.

Record scratch here, years later, he’s the greatest wrestler of all time (hate to say I told you so) and I have taken the STRANGEST but most PUNK ROCK route to becoming a champion and Chris Sabin is, was, always will be the underrated GOAT: three guys that, 14 years ago, sat backstage watching monitors with @nickjackson, @mattjackson13 and @sensationalamazingred just wanting to wrestle our styles, our ways, finally getting to do so in the main event of a TNA ring while fans chanted one of my best friend’s name.

So yeah, I lost. But life is a journey, and I know in the past two years that I have helped rebuild this place and that I have given it my heart and I loving hope it’s better than it was before I came back. Everything I had. So much so that Kazuchika actually came back to see me in that ring. I’m not crying, you’re crying.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dave says Hard To Kill did great, early numbers are around 8000 buys. Biggest number they've done since Kenny Omega/Rich Swann, at least the third-biggest (final count could raise it to 2nd-biggest) since the Spike TV days. And this is with it competing against an NFL playoff game (Chiefs/Dolphins) and the first hour of Okada and Ospreay's final New Japan PPV

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:hellyeah:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Miching Mallecho posted:

I'm up to episode #14 watching TNA from the start and something happened that made me immediately have to write it down.

So the main event is Jeff Jarrett vs B.G. james(road dogg)

And James does the stupidest promo before the match which includes the line "it ain't nothing but a B to the G thing and you're about to feel my B to the G sting. It's B.G. James and the G stands for Get it,got it, good"

:psyduck:

Sometimes you would see someone fail or suck in WWE, and you would be like "well, that happens with almost everyone there", and then you'd see them elsewhere and decide to watch/give them another chance, see them fail or suck there too, and immediately are like "ah. nobody could have made this guy work, this guy just sucks"

A lot of people were like that with Aron Rex/Damien Sandow. I was definitely like that with Road Dogg

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The D in Detroit posted:

I really need a summary of Aron Rex, because the out of context gifs I've seen do not explain anything and just leave me confused

Do you remember Damien Sandow?

Okay, so that guy got fired and then went to TNA and became a generic ex-WWE guy. But then half a year later, new calendar year comes around and they're like "well, what do you wanna do, keep going with this or pitch your own stuff?" And he wanted to pitch his own thing, something WWE said no to

quote:

Rex returned on the January 12, 2017 episode of Impact Wrestling debuting a Liberace-inspired character, with a new clean shaven look and sporting plucked eyebrows, lip gloss, a fur coat, naked trunks and oversized rings on all fingers, along with Rockstar Spud as his new manager.[189]

This was his idea. In the year 2017

It lasted one more week and then he was done in the company, announcing as much months later

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Jesus loving Christ

The only things I can assume are

1) corporate bullshit (most likely)
2) D'Amore scandal they found out about (it's wrestling, I wouldn't be surprised, but the only stuff I've heard about is with Callis and that's more why Callis was gone and it never got talked about again)
3) they've been serious about wanting to spend more on the product, they're upset none of the big #FreeAgents (Okada, Ospreay, Mone) are signing there, and they blame D'Amore despite him being a big reason the talent that are there have stayed

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dave thinks it was a budget thing. D'Amore's been trying to get more money spent on the product throughout his time there and been fought on it by everyone; Anthem's been more progressive on it lately in the sense of wanting to put a million into someone like Ospreay, but there's obviously a gulf between that and what he wound up getting from AEW (and was getting offered from WWE) and it sobered them up again. They don't want to bridge that gulf until they get better results warranting it in terms of viewership and publicity, D'Amore argued the show being the best and getting the most positive results in both departments they've had (outside of a one-off) in almost their entire history is like...when else are you gonna do it if not after this/now?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:same: tbh

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

quote:

Meltzer: Scott D'Amore wanted to sign Braun Strowman and was going to build Bound For Glory 2021 around his arrival. Anthem said no because of the money he was asking for and felt he wouldn't improve business at the time

:lol: yeah no I'm glad he got told no to paying Braun a million dollars, actually

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dreamer's defense on Busted Open is "I'm part of the team, I'm not the head, if I were the head I'd be world champ soon"

Not inspiring confidence tbh

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I've never been more certain that the name TNA itself is cursed as a wrestling company than seeing poo poo immediately go off the rails once they changed back to it after years of them not loving up much as Impact

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Original ROH falling off a cliff almost completely coincided with him getting the book and pushing his friends. In-ring in ROH he was fine, booking in ROH he wasn't, and 2010 or 11 he took over as head booker replacing Adam Pearce. Between that and Danielson and McGuinness leaving around that time, what it was before and what it was from then on were two very different things

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Josh signed a 2-year extension the first week of March 2022

https://twitter.com/Walking_Weapon/status/1759668458764091564?s=20

Was a no-brainer extension when D'Amore was around
Immediately gives new life to Ethan Page's AEW/ROH career if he heads over

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/SpeedballBailey/status/1759692548606497256?s=20

When Speedball said in 2022 he was staying he outright cited D'Amore as a reason why https://www.postwrestling.com/2022/12/20/speedball-mike-bailey-im-gonna-be-with-impact-wrestling-for-a-few-more-years/

The PPV Saturday is going to be the first time since the firing everyone's really in the same building. Something's gonna give

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Speedball is absolutely can't miss imo

Maclin yeah, booking-wise his best bet is staying put. He's the one whatever in the pile so far in-ring

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

For better or worse, the roster's first meeting with management post-D'Amore is scheduled for tomorrow. Which means they have a whole PPV to have before that, tonight

No Surrender:

The System (Eddie Edwards and Brian Myers) vs Intergalactic Jet Setters (KUSHIDA and Kevin Knight) in a preshow match
Speedball Mountain (Speedball Mike Bailey and Trent Seven) vs the Rascalz (Trey Miguel and Zachary Wentz) in a preshow match
PCO vs Kon
Josh Alexander vs Simon Gotch
Frankie Kazarian vs Eric Young, winner gets a world title shot at Sacrifice March 8
Decay (Rosemary and Jessicka Havok) defend the Knockouts tag titles against MKUltra (Masha Slamovich and Killer Kelly)
Bullet Club (Ace Austin and Chris Bey) defend the tag titles in the final match of a Best-of-3 series against Grizzled Young Vets (James Drake and Zack Gibson)
Jordynne Grace defends the Knockouts title against Gisele Shaw
Chris Sabin defends the X title against Mustafa Ali
Moose defends the world title against Alex Shelley in a No Surrender Rules match; match ends when a cornerman throws in the towel

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

They confirmed Mustafa/Sabin is main event. Pretty sweet if he’s winning the belt there like I expect

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Hell yeah Mustafa :woop:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Fightful posted:

TNA held a meeting with talent and some of the new bosses within the company, and we've gained some reactions from it.

Fightful was told that the meeting was planned out well ahead of time, and featured some of the bosses within the company both familiar and ones the talent will be answering to now. Some talent had spoken with higher ups individually as well.

The general feeling was that nobody wanted the roster to abandon the hard work they've done as a group, even if they don't agree with the decision to replace Scott D'Amore. We're told that there was one top name in TNA that was looking to leave the company, and decided to ride it out after the weekend's tapings and seeing how the meeting went.

We're told that the new higher ups were open to feedback from the roster as well. Several wrestlers said that while they didn't agree with the decision, the meeting did a good job getting them excited for the possibilities of TNA moving forward.

Scott D'Amore is not expected to rejoin the company, although many on the roster are still hoping for it

I'd be shocked if the top name wasn't Josh, given everything

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dave says they plan to do live Impacts eventually in one location. It's not a new plan, D'Amore had been scouting Full Sail, which has some savings benefits (students could work production and fill audience)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Not where I expected Alex Hammerstone to go

https://twitter.com/WrestlingCovers/status/1763382023698141445?s=20

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Glass Punkbull 141 posted:

"gently caress the WWE-"

"OH HELL YEAH!"

Every time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogg3trO6CBc

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

Dave says Hard To Kill did great, early numbers are around 8000 buys. Biggest number they've done since Kenny Omega/Rich Swann, at least the third-biggest (final count could raise it to 2nd-biggest) since the Spike TV days. And this is with it competing against an NFL playoff game (Chiefs/Dolphins) and the first hour of Okada and Ospreay's final New Japan PPV

Final numbers were 19,700 TV PPV buys (more than double Bound for Glory 2023, which was already considered a huge success), easily eclipses Kenny/Swann, and counting streaming buys did around 60,000. Same as the record, Joe/Kurt at Genesis 2006

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Sacrifice is tomorrow

The Rascalz (Trey Miguel and Zachary Wentz) vs Speedball Mountain (Mike Bailey and Trent Seven) in a preshow match
Josh Alexander vs Alex Hammerstone
Time Machine (Chris Sabin, KUSHIDA and Alex Shelley) vs Mustafa Ali and Grizzled Young Vets (Zack Gibson and James Drake)
PCO vs Kon in a no-DQ match
MK Ultra (Masha Slamovich and Killer Kelly) defend the Knockouts tag titles against Dani Luna and Jody Threat
Jordynne Grace defends the Knockouts title in a triple threat against Tasha Steelz and Xia Brookside
Bullet Club (Ace Austin and Chris Bey) defend the tag titles against the System (Eddie Edwards and Brian Myers)
Nic Nemeth defends the New Japan Global title against Steve Maclin
Moose defends the world title against Eric Young

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 8, 2024

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Sacrifice aftermath:

The System hold the gold; Moose retained the world title (thanks to interference from Frankie Kazarian), and Eddie Edwards and Brian Myers won the tag titles
Eric Young's working per-appearance, is he going back to HHH soon/after this weekend's tapings?
Dani Luna and Jody Threat won the Knockouts tag titles. Masha Slamovich shoved away Killer Kelly after
Alex Hammerstone beat Josh Alexander in his first match since signing with the company
Chris Sabin accidentally cost his team the match, but does everyone think it was an accident?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I came in late to the show and missed this lol

https://twitter.com/garrettkidney/status/1766544280275824855

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

PWInsider posted:

The Motor City Machineguns, Alex Shelley and Chris Sabin, will be working for Smash Wrestling in London, Ontario on Sunday 4/21.

That date is extremely interesting as it would be the same weekend TNA is running their Rebellion PPV in Las Vegas. Sunday 4/21 is TNA's post-PPV TV taping in Las Vegas.

The belief among some we have spoken with is that Shelley and Sabin's existing TNA deals are expiring shortly, possibly as soon as the end of March. If that is correct, it is possible they could remain working for the company, but that TNA would no longer be their priority, hence the booking for Smash the same day as the TV taping.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

And he's only 19 https://twitter.com/ThisIsTNA/status/1770969363182411992

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

They finished their last contractual obligations tonight and are gone

https://twitter.com/WrestlePurists/status/1771737021402251440

The first big post-D'Amore domino to fall

edit: https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1771920471652438310?s=20

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 24, 2024

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/AlexShelley313/status/1772778694873907263

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ace Austin staying
https://twitter.com/ThisIsTNA/status/1773350072446558309

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Miyu Yamashita :woop:
https://twitter.com/ThisIsTNA/status/1777758378917343606

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Saturday is Rebellion

Leon Slater & Bullet Club (Ace Austin and Chris Bey) vs the Rascalz (Trey Miguel, Zachary Wentz and Myron Reed) in a preshow match
Spitfire (Dani Luna and Jody Threat) defend the Knockouts tag titles against Decay (Rosemary and Jessicka Havok) in a preshow match
Joe Hendry vs Rich Swann
Josh Alexander vs Alexander Hammerstone in a Last Man Standing match
Eric Young vs Frankie Kazarian in a Full Metal Mayhem match
Jordynne Grace defends the Knockouts title against Steph De Lander
Mustafa Ali defends the X title against Jake Something
The System (Eddie Edwards and Brian Myers) defend the tag titles against Speedball Mountain (Mike Bailey and Trent Seven)
Moose defends the world title against Nic Nemeth

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Apr 20, 2024

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Rebellion aftermath:

Laredo Kid is the new Digital Media champ
All other champs retained, including Moose in one of two botched endings
Frankie Kazarian did his finish to Eric Young from the top rope through the edge of a table accidentally, loving up both and immediately causing Young to bleed out everywhere. Doctors tended to him immediately after the match, hopefully he's okay
Alisha Edwards seems to be Masha Slamovich's new tag partner, with their eyes on the Knockouts tag titles
Former NFL player Shawne Merriman joined Rich Swann and AJ Francis, attacking Joe Hendry
Mike Santana is back
So is Sami Callihan
And so is Broken Matt Hardy, who's coming for Moose's world title
Slammiversary is July 20 in Montreal

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

can we just go ahead and get to the part where tna closes forever because it's genuinely sadder than MLW at this point

Sami's back because nobody other than MLW would take him

https://twitter.com/ScandalousMurph/status/1781877574261497947
https://twitter.com/akamaxpower/status/1781875860175282408