Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
TNA isn't useless though, it's got one of the most important tape libraries in North America to both AEW and WWE. At this point they've kind of pissed away all good-will they had recently but how many times has TNA done that in the past and still survived anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

I just remembered when TNA were ahead of the game and streaming their shows weekly on Twitch, then they got banned because of RVD's girlfriend's girlfriend having her nipple out. Not going to say I've watched every TNA/Impact show for the last year but at least the stuff I've seen was better than GCW shows so at least they clawed their way up to being better than the average indie show.

It's no DPW or PWG though

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Edward Mass posted:

I guess the question should be asked, then: if you don't watch Impact, what would get you to start?
They were on the right track. Good wrestling, exclusive standout stars, and a dash of nostalgia. But if they're going the route of modern NXT then lol. I've never cared about crowd size or budget in a wrestling promotion as long as they've got a hot crowd, like old era NXT made a lot of people really endearing because it was basically the old TNA crowd but if they're going to full sail isn't the crowd controlled basically run by Bayley superfan Izzy's father? I don't know where I read it but he would instruct the crowd to turn against certain wrestlers he didn't like which lead to Lince Dorado threatening to beat his rear end in the parking lot

It's just the cycle of TNA though, build up momentum, look like you're on the cusp of being great, fumble at the one yard line and then flounder for several years but TNA will never die.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

What TNA traditionally did well, there are a lot of indie promotions doing that without as much bullshit. TNA had some incredibly good wrestlers in most of their eras, TNA would usually put a bigger importance on Women's Wrestling during their peaks and they'd get really over, and TNA would jump at the opportunity to have international stars come to their program and just have real good matches. They also weren't afraid to shy away from having totally different wrestling styles highlighted on their program, like tag-team wrestling, hardcore wrestling, Lucha-libre, and Puro. But at every point in their existence where they're actually starting to get their poo poo together, there's always been a change in management that decides they need to be more like WWE.

The thing is, GCW for a while were doing this but better, DPW is doing this but better, PWG has always done this but better, and CHIKARA & SHIMMER for a time was doing this but better, TNA might do it first but there's always an indy company doing it better. They're constantly in a cycle where they're the cutting-edge and then gently caress everything up again.

We've looped back around to the Hogan era takeover, except now they've decided their goal is 2023 NXT.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Warthur posted:

DPW? That's a new one on me, but are they the new hotness?
They're based out of the Carolinas, and funded by the guys who have been doing NewLegacyInc for the last decade, more or less. They've always got top of the indies type wrestlers on their show and try and bring in every type of wrestler they can. They were actually one of the first promotions that believed in Japanese Death Match Legend Luther, and they're always booking top indie and international stars like Miyu and Rina Yamashita, Calvin Tankman, Bryan Keith, et all. They don't quite have the momentum of PWG shows but they should

They have a podcast where they review random bullshit in wrestling and don't manage to be offensive too, so that's a big up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

The saddest thing about Matt going back to TNA is that Jeremy Borash isn't there to carry the Broken matches anymore