Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I don't think I've seen an animated movie trailer that has made me immediately dismiss a film quite as quickly as the trailer for The Tiger's Apprentice. It's just... spectacularly gently caress-ugly. Like... Its art style is just completely uninspired in an age where we have fantastic stuff like spiderverse, nimona, and puss in boots pushing the boundaries of animation and sporting distinctive art styles and here's something that looks like a videogame cutscene rendered on a 5 year old video card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1770852693403123963?t=vqtIQBRrAO1QegNDvhDm-w&s=19

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Someone pointed me to this short animated by a former 2d Disney animator that they've been working on for 7 years, the steampunk "Hullabaloo"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcd9ZRYlAoI

I gotta say I'm really split on what to think. I've been hearing about this project for years and then kind of forgot about it, but its always cool when people used to working inside the studio system are able to try their hand at their own projects. Glenn Keane and Minkyu Lee both made awesome looking short films. But I'm kind of underwhelmed here.

Its a bit harsh but I would have expected, given the amount of time involved, that the final product would be a feast for the eyes. But the compositing makes everything look muddy, or graish in the case of that inner cavern scene, with empty looking backgrounds, amateurish lens flares paired with rough 2.5 effects.
Also there's the irony of it saying "2D Animation" on the promo image, and then a big part of the episode is the most rigid cars I've ever seen, with no animation on the turning of the wheels when the car swerves a different direction. Apparently Lopez went for a very old school approach to animating rigid body surfaces, modeling the cars in reality, photographing them, and then tracing over them. But the end result is that it looks worse than if the cars were cg and had some rigging to them that would allow the wheels and other parts of the car to articulate.

It's probably petty to have this many opinions about a labor of love animated short, but I guess it stems from disappointment at seeing old craftspeople not really be able to keep up with the times.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
Went to Target today and got to see an example what an enormous swing-and-miss Wish was for Disney. An entire section of the toy department filled with untouched merchandise from that movie.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Should have wished for a better movie.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yeah, seen it in Wal-Mart too, and I expect those to be hitting the discount aisle pretty soon. Wish flopped, but so much of what makes Disney money is merchandise, and that stuff is just not moving.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It’s Lightyear all over again. Tons of merch, film wasn’t amazing, so it’s just making GBS threads up store shelves months now (coming up 2 years for Lightyear!).

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It seems like most of the big Disney umbrella films last year have underperformed.

I wonder if we're going to see some executive house cleaning.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
Encanto 2: Casita's Revenge

get on it, Disney

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Sivart13 posted:

Encanto 2: Casita's Revenge

get on it, Disney

Hello Mirabel.

I've had a lot to think about being dead. You know... after you murdered me...

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Encanto 2. Grandma starts gaslighting about how horrible she was

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
If they do do a sequel to Encanto I'd love to see a thing of Mirabel and Bruno teaching the other characters how to actually interpret Bruno's visions.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Also give shape-shift boy something to do. Let the teen girls go nuts.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think a TV show would probably have been the best way to go because you have way more time for each character to be played with, on a similar level to the Tangled TV show. They were able to give Hook Hand and Atilla small arcs which were interesting, because you had Atilla pursuing his dream in public in Corona, and hook hand being a toxic rear end in a top hat to his brother about his dream because he's a total ladder-pulling hypocrite.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Das Boo posted:

Also give shape-shift boy something to do.

For real. The whole Encanto concept lends itself very well to a series, honestly. Explore different family members every episode, what they can do, etc.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I've not watched Wish, it doesn't really have much to sell me on it and at this point I've seen enough people whose reaction ranges from disgusted to disappointed in it that I know better.

I wanted to ask, if that's alright, what are the problems with it, exactly? I've seen several takes from "forgettable generic quirky protagonist" to "the plot makes no sense" to "we are told we should care about this but not shown why".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
So much makes sense with people saying that Disney at this point is mostly staffed by and does screen testing with Disney Adults. Basically a corporate cult.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Ghost Leviathan posted:

So much makes sense with people saying that Disney at this point is mostly staffed by and does screen testing with Disney Adults. Basically a corporate cult.

I was looking up info on those, actually, because I am plagued with a partial understanding of things and I wanted to look into them, and came across this article, which has a couple of very telling lines about this slice of the population:

quote:

Disney adults themselves aren’t naive about the wish the company’s heart makes. Fan Rachul sometimes worries that “the golden age of storytelling is giving way to consumerism”, while survey respondents wrote in that the company “[promotes] consumerism and overconsumption”, “prioritise[s] profits over anything” and has a “capitalist mentality” of “growth and profits over all”. Disney adulthood is inseparable from hyper-consumption – 58 per cent of Disney adults I surveyed spend between $1,000 (£787) and $10,000 (£7,876) with the Walt Disney Company annually, while only 2.8 per cent spend less than $100 (£78).

quote:

Disney’s grip on film media means that the company can not only make everyone a Disney adult, but also discourage criticism of the conglomerate. In 2017, the company briefly banned Los Angeles Times film critics from attending advance screenings of its films because, the paper claimed, it had published an investigative series about the subsidies and tax breaks that Disney received from the city of Anaheim, the location of Disneyland Resort; the paper also suggested Disney’s political spending influenced local elections (Disney defended its role in the city as a “job creator and economic engine”). Disney reversed the ban after threats of a boycott from other outlets, but it set a disturbing precedent.

Yeesh. Disney is just like, transparently evil, isn't it?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Almost as though any company once it reaches a certain size cannot continue to Grow At All Costs without actively harming the environment in which it operates

BreakPoint
Mar 22, 2024
https://twitter.com/MaxCEEUpdates/status/1769778377542504644

Coyote Vs. ACME cancelled...OK, but this...why!!!

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

BreakPoint posted:

People won't stop posting and hate-watching. I also imagine it costs pennies on the dollar and they can market it as "mature animation" for some BS prestige.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Velma was given a season 2 before season 1 even aired so it’s not really hate watching that did it. Just overzealous executives.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BreakPoint posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ru8DMW-grY

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

Velma was given a season 2 before season 1 even aired so it’s not really hate watching that did it. Just overzealous executives.

It was 10 episodes in season one, isn't it pretty common for them to just give things a 20 episode order off the bat and split them into two seasons for airing these days?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

MikeJF posted:

It was 10 episodes in season one, isn't it pretty common for them to just give things a 20 episode order off the bat and split them into two seasons for airing these days?

It's incredibly common these days to the point where it might as well be the standard practice.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm still confused how get to a complete movie and then decide not to release it.

The movie is complete, right?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm still confused how get to a complete movie and then decide not to release it.

I have written a very comprehensive post that explains in great detail why it's actually a smart business decision but unfortunately I can't release it because, uh, tax write-offs

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Yep, it was originally supposed to come out last summer but got bumped for Barbie. And then it was bumped from reality...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yup, and the entire script got leaked online a little while back. It's sad that something like that got cancelled (even going against the whims of WB's own shareholders if I recall correctly) yet arguably the worst Scooby series ever made lives on.

People really need to understand that hate watching does nothing except boost a show’s numbers

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 24, 2024

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

doomrider7 posted:

People won't stop posting and hate-watching.

Except they absolutely will, and did. I'm pretty sure this was greenlit off pure hype and a whiff of controversy in the air before anyone in the general public even had a chance to see it. That one week or so of Twitter discourse was enough, because executives are dumber than you can imagine. I do not expect there to be a season 3.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Sir Lemming posted:

Except they absolutely will, and did. I'm pretty sure this was greenlit off pure hype and a whiff of controversy in the air before anyone in the general public even had a chance to see it. That one week or so of Twitter discourse was enough, because executives are dumber than you can imagine. I do not expect there to be a season 3.

God I hope you're right. I know the drop-off was quick and heavy, but there were some high numbers of hate watching that I HOPE is done and over with.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I wonder if they ever definitively decide whether you're supposed to relate to Velma or not. It felt like they were trying for "rear end in a top hat who tells it like it is," but then she'd say some abhorrent MAGA-adjacent things and, like... uh...

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

given Zaslav is a prominent trump supporter, and Kaling said some pretty loving awful poo poo herself...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Das Boo posted:

I wonder if they ever definitively decide whether you're supposed to relate to Velma or not. It felt like they were trying for "rear end in a top hat who tells it like it is," but then she'd say some abhorrent MAGA-adjacent things and, like... uh...

She's Kaling's self insert, like apparently every other show she's made, and she's a pickme chud.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

the normal tax write-offs explanation is a little incomplete I think - your costs are basically always deductable against income when calculating taxes on profits etc, doesn't matter if you release the thing or not. I've seen a few other ideas floated, not sure which are more true/relevant:

* There are additional costs to get to release (marketing, packaging etc) that wouldn't be recouped by income. Seems unlikely to me in most cases unless the film is actually quite unfinished

* Additional fixed payments become due to artists, contractors etc on release. Also seems unlikely, fix your contracts if this is true! % of income based clauses wouldn't trigger this.

* If you release a film the costs are applied against your income for tax purposes over several years, but if you cancel it then they occur immediately. This is good for you twice over: you might know you are making a profit this year, but worry you won't next, and money now is worth more than in the future (doubly so when calculating your bonus as CFO of megacorp X)

The last one seems most likely to be a big factor to me in these decisions, and the obvious fix of forcing production costs to immediately accrue screws over small studios that don't release multiple films a year.

mystes
May 31, 2006

distortion park posted:

the normal tax write-offs explanation is a little incomplete I think - your costs are basically always deductable against income when calculating taxes on profits etc, doesn't matter if you release the thing or not. I've seen a few other ideas floated, not sure which are more true/relevant:
Some people have claimed that it's something special about acquisition accounting. I don't know if that's really a real thing, or if it is, whether it's really about the tax write off or just about making their financials look better to investors by treating the costs as a one-time cost or something like that though.

In any case I doubt it really makes sense because they would most likely be better off selling the rights for whatever they can get for it, even if that would result in a slight loss on the cost of making the movie.

Maybe the current executives are just really stubborn and feel that by doing this the loss is somehow not their fault, whereas if they released it and they lost less money, that loss would somehow be their fault?

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 25, 2024

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

paradoxGentleman posted:

I've not watched Wish, it doesn't really have much to sell me on it and at this point I've seen enough people whose reaction ranges from disgusted to disappointed in it that I know better.

I wanted to ask, if that's alright, what are the problems with it, exactly? I've seen several takes from "forgettable generic quirky protagonist" to "the plot makes no sense" to "we are told we should care about this but not shown why".

It really just doesn't make sense. They set up this huge convoluted system about having a wish and giving it up when you turn eighteen to live in a perfect society, and the whole entire plot and the arcs of all the characters hinge on it, but the movie itself doesn't know how it works or what it means. The king develops a land where he takes everyone's wishes because his family was murdered, which implies that murdering people is a wish, so he has to be the gatekeeper of wishes. But then at the end the solution is to just give everyone their wishes even though the plot has explicitly told us that there are, in fact, bad wishes. So is everyone in town just accidentally harmonious? And what does it even mean to give up a wish? If the animals and plants are capable of wishing, why aren't they all talking all the time? What?

This isn't nitpicking, it prompts these questions of its own accord. Also, every song is an atrocity. The melodies are whatever, but the lyrics are truly some of the most inept I've ever heard.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Whoever wrote the lyrics has a tin ear, lot of weird rhymes, bizarre word choices, redundancy, and doesn't quite flow with the melody.

Asha is also an extremely bland protagonist

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
All the songs are by Julia Michaels, whose entire catalogue seems to be those generic pop songs they play in gyms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm going to watch it when it comes out on streaming because my morbid curiosity is absolute peak, but it sounds like they took what should have been 3 acts (Everyone should have their wishes > Release all the wishes > Ooh, gotta fix that, that was a BIG mistake) and just chopped it off at Act 2.

Maybe it's not as fanciful, but "You're not going to get everything you want and that's okay." is a fine message. Monsters U did it well.