Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
My sisters and I showed my nephew Cinderella recently and we all enjoyed how much Lucifer moved like our tubby tortie. You can tell there were some fat kitty studies taken very seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

paradoxGentleman posted:

Your analysis has been a delight to read.
And yes, Cinderella's Prince Charming is as characterless as the Disney male love interests get. Dude straight up has like three lines in the whole movie. I haven't watched it myself but I've seen bits of Cinderella 3 (yes, i know, disney sequels, bear with me) that imply they give him a lot more personality. Like this one!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwQrEUZDJCk
what a lad. I'm glad he'll lead a country some day.
Thank you!

Apparently there were originally some more scenes with the Prince to establish his character that were cut, but as it is, yeah, he mostly just exists to drive the plot and give Cinderella a win. There are still a couple little nice bits like his bored yawn during the ball and the offscreen characterization he gets via the King that give him a slight edge over the Snow White prince.

Robindaybird posted:

she wasn't even out to marry a prince - she just wanted ONE nice night where she isn't subjected to her step family's abuse.
This is one of those things that's really been twisted in the pop culture understanding of the movie. I remembered it the same way and was surprised to learn otherwise - like that's the story we all know, right, she goes to the ball to meet the prince? Similar to how Ariel and Belle's actual motivations in their movies get flattened in the discourse.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I love the song they sing when they're dancing. It really highlights how little she cared about the reason for the ball. Hell, she doesn't clue in to who she was dancing with until "the Prince" is invoked by her steps

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Lord Hydronium posted:

This is one of those things that's really been twisted in the pop culture understanding of the movie. I remembered it the same way and was surprised to learn otherwise - like that's the story we all know, right, she goes to the ball to meet the prince? Similar to how Ariel and Belle's actual motivations in their movies get flattened in the discourse.

Ariel is especially infuriating - 'she ran away for some dude she hasn't even spoken to'.

When no, it's A: She always wanted to see what the human world is like and B: her Father had an extremely violent tantrum that resulted in all of her treasures being destroyed - while Triton clearly regretted his actions, he never really apologizes for it, and the way she FLINCHES when she realized she said the wrong thing makes it clear that tantrum isn't out of character for him.

and as for Eric - with how common a trans reading for TLM is - it's a lot like how kids who run away from home tend to gravitate towards someone who seems nice (and Ariel witnessed him putting himself into great harm to rescue his dog, so she got an idea that he does care for others)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lord Hydronium posted:

A nitpick along these lines that I mentioned before during my same-kinda-thing-you're-doing was that the titular song says something like "As lovely as your name", as though the name "Cinderella" is just ... like ... a pretty-sounding name. Not that it's supposed to be literally a mocking epithet making fun of how she has to work cleaning cinders out of coal grates. It's like the writers just completely whiffed on a basic pun at the center of the story.

Much like how later in The Fox & the Hound when the old lady makes a big to-do about naming the fox "Tod" because ... it's short for "toddler" :what: Not like, it's literally a regional synonym for fox or anything

Same with how they never bother to explain or even allude to the meaning of the name Pinocchio etc. I don't know why that keeps happening with them, seems like they're doing it on purpose for some god-only-knows reason

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
there's a trailer for the new Magic: The Gathering set, a "western, but fantasy" set called Outlaws of Thunder Junction, and it's pretty rad. they've been kinda hit or miss lately but this one is great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2McuaOFVvuE&hd=1

their take on "1920s mobsters, but fantasy" with Streets of New Capenna was great, too. really love their reimaginings of other genres but in the MTG universe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sukHfctT9L4&hd=1

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
How is the age appropriateness of the trolls movies? Are they something that's pretty much just geared towards kids, or is this something that adults can enjoy as well?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

hahahaha welp

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1773452406287638563?s=46&t=8qKeRz1MPwpnqaU9WYBJgg

mystes
May 31, 2006

Those aren't unreleased shows, right? That's probably not a "write off"; they're probably just in the process of licensing them to another service.

Or like they just hate cartoons so much they aren't even pretending it's about "write offs" anymore

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

oh noooo what a shaaaame.

(okay this is actually the first time I've heard of Big Nate so maybe that was an actual shame but I cannot bring myself to mourn the loss of the Rugrats reboot)

e: okay after a minute of thinking okay I do feel bad for the artists' having their hard work being just flushed into the ether no matter if I think the shows themselves are any good...

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 29, 2024

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Breetai posted:

How is the age appropriateness of the trolls movies? Are they something that's pretty much just geared towards kids, or is this something that adults can enjoy as well?

I mean, I'm 37 and I think the Trolls movies are all absolutely delightful, but I also like the whole vibe they're going for and the colors and all the pink and blah blah. I'm sure there are plenty of adults out there that would watch Trolls and want to throw up

The biggest joy of those movies to me is how hard they stick to the aesthetic they're going for. Like as an example, I'm struggling to think of any point where there's actual water. There's stuff that looks like water but its textures are like satin, or beads or something. There's some mud at some points in the first movie, and in the third movie there's a guy with a mop spreading around some kind of silver liquid at one point, but otherwise it all sticks very hard to this scrapbook look or things being made of sheets or carpet or plastic. There's rolling hills in a desert represented by folded blankets. There's a jungle where everything is made out of like straws and inflatable leaf balloons. Waterfalls are always those long glittery plastic strands. The rock stuff in the second movie has a "scrapbook but if it was by a metalhead" thing about it with the stitching and freyed edges on everything. I think those movies are stunning

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

TwoPair posted:

(okay this is actually the first time I've heard of Big Nate so maybe that was an actual shame but I cannot bring myself to mourn the loss of the Rugrats reboot)

e: okay after a minute of thinking okay I do feel bad for the artists' having their hard work being just flushed into the ether no matter if I think the shows themselves are any good...

Big Nate was originally a newspaper comic strip, then the creator decided to ride on the success of the Wimpy Kids books and make similar diary-style books featuring the comic characters. That it became one of the mainstays of Nickelodeon can tell you how successful it is.

In other news,

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Oh poo poo Murderdrones kept going? A buddy showed me the...pilot? back in November, and my thoughts were "cool, maybe that one will have a future, unlike a lot of other pilots and proof-of-concepts that channel has done"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

mystes posted:

Those aren't unreleased shows, right? That's probably not a "write off"; they're probably just in the process of licensing them to another service.

Or like they just hate cartoons so much they aren't even pretending it's about "write offs" anymore

Yeah I don't think that really qualifies as a "write off" it's just the other crappy thing where something leaves a streaming service because they don't want to pay anyone.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Macaluso posted:

I mean, I'm 37 and I think the Trolls movies are all absolutely delightful, but I also like the whole vibe they're going for and the colors and all the pink and blah blah. I'm sure there are plenty of adults out there that would watch Trolls and want to throw up

The biggest joy of those movies to me is how hard they stick to the aesthetic they're going for. Like as an example, I'm struggling to think of any point where there's actual water. There's stuff that looks like water but its textures are like satin, or beads or something. There's some mud at some points in the first movie, and in the third movie there's a guy with a mop spreading around some kind of silver liquid at one point, but otherwise it all sticks very hard to this scrapbook look or things being made of sheets or carpet or plastic. There's rolling hills in a desert represented by folded blankets. There's a jungle where everything is made out of like straws and inflatable leaf balloons. Waterfalls are always those long glittery plastic strands. The rock stuff in the second movie has a "scrapbook but if it was by a metalhead" thing about it with the stitching and freyed edges on everything. I think those movies are stunning

I do wonder if that's a plus for them because water is so goddamn hard to render, ha.

But it's impressive enough when a franchise actually manages to have tonal and aesthetic consistency at this point.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

TwoPair posted:

i read one of the big nate books to my kid and it sucks poo poo

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

big nate is an okay strip, but it's no wallace the brave

(as a comic strip thread regular, i was actually kinda shocked i hadn't heard that big nate actually tried moving into other formats. i can't see it working outside the funny pages all that well)

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

TwoPair posted:

Eh... I freelanced on Rugrats and the studio stranglehold on it didn't give me much to sink my teeth into. I got paid and I'm fine with that. :shrug:

Maybe it's because it's all been TV animation, but I kinda loving hate working 3D. I don't like budget being a primary consideration when I Draw Thing, or having to scour Shotgrid for any possible reuse/reskin of someone else's work. It feels way more production work than design work.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There's a youtube animator I follow named Alex Henderson, and he's one of the most impressive one-man animation studios(or close to it) I have seen in a long, long time. He has become more prominent in recent years, but it wasn't until his Donkey Kong Country tributes that I feel like he really became more known. but even then, not a lot of folks have heard of him.

here is his most recent work, an ABSOLUTELY ABSURD music video for Gloryhammer's Keeper of the Celestial Flame of Abernethy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeROS92-BsM&hd=1

I get Don Bluth animation style vibes from his more recent stuff, especially the above music video and Donkey Kong Country - Return to Krocodile Isle. For RtKI, he managed to get a bunch of the voice actors from the original DKC CGI cartoon from the 90s back, including Benedict Campbell as King K Rool. It's magnificent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eggzBAzCZg&hd=1

and the previous DKC video, Curse of the Crystal Coconut is a remake of one of the many old DKC show songs, Pirate's Scorn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5-X58Tw6RQ&hd=1

He's got incredible skills, and I do hope he eventually gets to work on a bigger project, because while these are masterworks all, I want to see what he could do with something bigger.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

I've been watching a bunch of old Czech stop motion stuff on YouTube and for a small country they've produced a bunch of great stop motion animators. Jiri Trnka, Jiri Barta, Svankmajer...it's kinda crazy. Was it the influence of Trnka that made this the case?

Anyways here's a few of my favorites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyUAFzw24KA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfWYJVevRaA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9ziSbgcI84

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Alice in Wonderland

Another movie that I both saw as a child and read the original source material as a child; specifically, I had a copy of The Annotated Alice, which went into all the various references and wordplay and satirical takes on contemporary children's literature in the books. While it's not surprising that the Alice stories have been adapted a lot, what with all the colorful characters and wacky situations and nonsense poems, there are difficulties in translation, with the lack of a real story and the extensive focus on the use of written wordplay. Like with Pinocchio and The Wind in the Willows, Disney took advantage of this being a largely episodic story and essentially just picked some of their favorite episodes from both Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass and stuck them together. This means that any of the already very loose structure of the originals vanishes entirely, and we get a bunch of mostly disconnected episodes of nonsense without any real throughline. How much you enjoy this depends on how much you like each particular bit of nonsense.

I think it's generally fun overall, but the individual sequence quality varies a lot. Some episodes just feel pointless even by the standards of this movie; the Walrus and the Carpenter, while a part of the original I remember fondly, here just kind of feels like a digression, with Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum taking a few minutes out of the movie to tell us an entirely different story. But other episodes are a lot more fun. Like the Dodo! I feel he's the one character in this movie who doesn't have a place in pop culture, but he and his two sequences are hilarious. Other highlights (and far more famous sequences) include the Cheshire cat (voiced by Sterling Holloway), who jumps between sinister, oddly helpful, and an agent of chaos as the mood strikes; the mad tea party, which is basically all the energy in this movie cranked to 11; and the Queen of Hearts (voiced by the Fairy Godmother herself, Verna Felton), a character who's both played for laughs but also kind of threatening in her capriciousness. All of this is supported by some wild animation, as Disney had each sequence directed separately by their respective animators. Ward Kimball did not particularly care for this approach and its results, and it is a lot, but it's also quite fun and imaginative and several sequences have this insane Bob Clampett Looney Tunes energy that you don't see often in Disney (there's a lot of bits reminiscent of Porky in Wackyland in particular, which makes sense as it is in turn an Alice spoof).

And finally there's Alice herself. I said there was no throughline, but I think she, and specifically Kathryn Beaumont's performance, provide some. Alice is the straight woman here, either taking the weirdness in stride or being annoyed when characters start getting too silly, and I think Beaumont does a nice job of this, anchoring the absurdity in a charming understated way. One of my favorite little moments is when she first falls into the rabbit hole and, as she falls down a bottomless chasm, she gives a dainty little wave to her cat and a cheerful "Goodbye, Dinah!" Critics at the time called out Alice's passivity, but I think having her as that calm center of the storm is what makes the movie work. Disney must have liked Beaumont too, because not only did she come back in the next movie as Wendy, she's still been doing the voice of Alice for Disney projects well into the 2000s.

The critics and audience at the time did not respond well to this movie, but it got a second life with the rise of psychedelic culture in the 70s and has had a certain amount of popularity to this day. I'd put it in the middle of the pack.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

There's a youtube animator I follow named Alex Henderson, and he's one of the most impressive one-man animation studios(or close to it) I have seen in a long, long time. He has become more prominent in recent years, but it wasn't until his Donkey Kong Country tributes that I feel like he really became more known. but even then, not a lot of folks have heard of him.

here is his most recent work, an ABSOLUTELY ABSURD music video for Gloryhammer's Keeper of the Celestial Flame of Abernethy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeROS92-BsM&hd=1

He's got incredible skills, and I do hope he eventually gets to work on a bigger project, because while these are masterworks all, I want to see what he could do with something bigger.

I went to school with this guy and we worked at the same studio for about a year, but he got sick of the grind of managed productions and had the technical skills in all departments in order to forge his own way. Meanwhile I continued in the "studio" track which meant I've been able to work on big shows but have no real creative control, and my skills increased only in animation which means pulling off a short film by myself is out of reach.

I think these type of artists will be much more future proof than all the artists who became cogs in the machine for a steady paycheck, as the former basically know how to do it all and have a certain amount of control over their own destiny. Whereas my own strategy has just been to save as much of the studio paychecks as possible so I can live for a while between jobs if it comes to that.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ccs posted:

I think these type of artists will be much more future proof than all the artists who became cogs in the machine for a steady paycheck, as the former basically know how to do it all and have a certain amount of control over their own destiny. Whereas my own strategy has just been to save as much of the studio paychecks as possible so I can live for a while between jobs if it comes to that.
You probably only need to be able to do everything if you want to make youtube videos by yourself like that and I'm not sure youtube/patreon would necessarily be any more stable or future proof than working for a studio?

Plus there's probably a sort of irony in that all the people who get big on youtube end up hiring other people to help them anyway so I imagine that in some sense you only really need to be able to do everything before you achieve a certain level of success

(But I can imagine that there is a lot of appeal to having total control over what you make)

mystes fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 1, 2024

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ccs posted:

I went to school with this guy and we worked at the same studio for about a year, but he got sick of the grind of managed productions and had the technical skills in all departments in order to forge his own way. Meanwhile I continued in the "studio" track which meant I've been able to work on big shows but have no real creative control, and my skills increased only in animation which means pulling off a short film by myself is out of reach.

very cool! well, not your whole "I acknowledge I am the grist in the mill" part, but that he recognized he could create his own path and took it, and seems to be decently successful at it. Still wish his stuff got the same level of views as Spooky Month type videos.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

mystes posted:

You probably only need to be able to do everything if you want to make youtube videos by yourself like that and I'm not sure youtube/patreon would necessarily be any more stable or future proof than working for a studio?

Maybe not "more" but definitely separated from the large macro-economic trends that can completely decimate an industry overnight. Say, the strikes, or the Hollywood business model being broken due to streaming, or interest rate hikes and high debt loads studios are carrying, or the complete relocation of work due to film subsidies being cut in one territory, etc etc.

This type of freelancer carves out a niche for themselves and if they're popular, they get consistent work, they can live anywhere, and broader industry trends don't affect them because they work for really small clients, unless the type of work they do is completely replaced by AI (which did affect a lot of freelance illustrators I know.)

It's possibly I may try to go this route myself if the studio system completely fails in my area. I don't particularly like the freelance lifestyle though and prefer the comradery of a studio atmosphere.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Peter Pan

The movie opens on Disney Plus with the first stereotype warning in a while, and hoo boy, it has never been more deserved. The portrayal of Native Americans is so drat racist that it got criticized for it even in 1953. And it's not even just one part, there's a significant chunk of the movie dedicated to this.

Even if we can somehow put that aside, though, Peter Pan is a mixed bag. I think the issues with it are best expressed in how it treats its hero and villain. Peter Pan is often unlikeable, amoral, selfish, and cruel. He doesn't care if Wendy drowns, he gets annoyed when people aren't praising him, he doesn't really give much at all of a poo poo about Tinkerbell. I haven't read or seen Barrie's original, but as I understand, this is the point there; the dark side of never growing up is never gaining that maturity and empathy. The problem with the Disney version is that this aspect never pays off; at the end Peter saves everyone, and they all agree that Peter is a super cool dude, no questions asked. There's a couple moments where this aspect comes through as intentional, notably Peter's introduction, where he first appears in shadow only to be illuminated in a creepy fashion by Tinkerbell, and he does come across as quite sinister. But this is eventually lost.

And then there's Hook; Hook is a classic Disney villain, flamboyant, wonderfully animated and voiced, but the movie isn't quite clear on what it wants him to be. Sometimes he's menacing, and it works really well in those scenes (he's the first Disney villain to straight up kill a guy onscreen), but sometimes he's a punching bag, there to be clowned on by Peter with slapstick gags, which undercuts the first parts entirely. Both are entertaining in their own right, but they don't mesh. That's kind of the tension of the movie overall. On the one hand you have the original work and its themes and characters, and on the other the Disney push to create a family friendly comedy, and in the end you get an adaptation that doesn't have much to say about its original ideas other than "Not growing up seems cool, but moms are also pretty good, right?"

Also speaking of moms, other than Wendy and Mrs. Darling, every female character exists only to be into Peter and jealous of any other girl, and even poor Wendy doesn't get to avoid that entirely. Other than those bits I generally like Wendy, who's the one character with any sense here, and Kathryn Beaumont does a good job differentiating her from Alice. Her brothers have some fun moments too. In general for all the criticisms I have, this movie does have a lot of charm too, and that and some beautiful artwork help a lot. The flying over London sequence is a highlight in particular. Overall, I'd put this in the lower middle of the movies so far.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Apr 2, 2024

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Peter Pan is the original harem anime

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I feel the one thing that makes the Disney adaptation feel really weird (just the one thing?) is how Tinkerbell is saved. What exactly does Peter do? He says how important she is and then we cut back to the ship and then Hook reaffirms the ultimatum of sign up or walk the plank. I think every other adaptation has some form of the clapping from the stage play. Heck, Barrie's novelization includes it.

I don't know how exactly you'd fix it, since there are some other things in the film that could use some fixing as well. But considering that they managed it in every non-stage version since, what happened that Disney decided it wasn't necessary?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The 2003 version is about as corny as it gets, but there's something about cutting to Jason Isaacs in full Mr. Darling mode standing up at a board meeting and saying "I do believe in faeries! I do! I do!" along with all the other folks in the montage that really works.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Okay, seen Wish now and I have a quesrion: Why does Asha keep insisting Star doesn't grant wishes when that's literally all it does the whole film?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So apparently they’re making a Toy Story 5 and a Moana 2 (in addition to the live action remake of the first one)

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/...tes-1235961998/

Tron Ares has a release date now as well

mystes
May 31, 2006

Larryb posted:

So apparently they’re making a Toy Story 5 and a Moana 2 (in addition to the live action remake of the first one)

oh weird I thought they had cancelled the live action moana

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

Iirc Moana 2 is old news, but I'm not too surprised by news of TS5. 3 provided a perfect end point, so when 4 came out I figured they would just milk the franchise until it's past it's expiration date. Plus our current sequel/franchise dominated media landscape pretty much guarantees that Toy Story will keep going until the franchise is past dead (or Tom Hanks dies, whichever comes first).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There's also the aspect that 4 was well enough received that enough people would probably be interested in a 5th, even though 4 was unnecessary.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TwoPair posted:

Iirc Moana 2 is old news, but I'm not too surprised by news of TS5. 3 provided a perfect end point, so when 4 came out I figured they would just milk the franchise until it's past it's expiration date. Plus our current sequel/franchise dominated media landscape pretty much guarantees that Toy Story will keep going until the franchise is past dead (or Tom Hanks dies, whichever comes first).

Of course, even if Hanks dies they could just have his brother take over the role like he has in other projects like KH3 (there’s a few decent Buzz soundalikes waiting in the wings if they lose Tim Allen as well)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Larryb posted:

Of course, even if Hanks dies they could just have his brother take over the role like he has in other projects like KH3 (there’s a few decent Buzz soundalikes waiting in the wings if they lose Tim Allen as well)

This is only related to the KH3 thing, but my jaw is still on the floor over the soundalike they got for Sully in the Monsters Inc world. At no point did I question that that wasn't John Goodman.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
With Toy Story 5, the gag in We're Doing a Sequel in Muppets Most Wanted keeps getting funnier as they reference Disney waiting for Tom Hanks to make Toy Story 4 in it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

This is only related to the KH3 thing, but my jaw is still on the floor over the soundalike they got for Sully in the Monsters Inc world. At no point did I question that that wasn't John Goodman.

Mike’s replacement wasn’t bad either though it was easier to tell that wasn’t Billy Crystal

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
any time i think about sully bodying some heartless i smile again, what a stupid, incredible franchise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also Organization 13 members being clowned on by Disney characters (which sadly is only a thing for 3 worlds in the game)