Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The thing I remember most about Toy Story 4 is that the CGI looked ridiculously good, to the point it barely looked like a cartoon most of the time, which was actually a bit distracting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

“How am I…alive?”
“I don’t know”

4 was entirely unnecessary but there were some fun bits in it admittedly. Curious what exactly they have in mind for 5 if nothing else

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

SCheeseman posted:

The thing I remember most about Toy Story 4 is that the CGI looked ridiculously good, to the point it barely looked like a cartoon most of the time, which was actually a bit distracting.

Yeah it was legit too realistic honestly. It contributed to the overall vibe of just pushing that existential crisis as far as it could possibly go to the point of absurdity.

Unfortunately, as we all know, they aren't going to stop making these until one of them is truly a stinker. They never have the good sense to stop before getting to that point. (I mean, they did, years ago, but that's out the window now.)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If they moved on from Woody and Buzz it could have a chance, but I doubt they'd want to take the risk. Just show us some other toys dealing with some other situation.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I honestly wouldn't hate a Woody and Bo Peep encountering different things on the road story, but maybe that's too directionless.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Nerdietalk posted:

I honestly wouldn't hate a Woody and Bo Peep encountering different things on the road story,
lil twist: it's actually The Road, and the movie is about immortal toys living on past human civilization's post-apocalyptic turn to baby cannibalism

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nikumatic posted:

any time i think about sully bodying some heartless i smile again, what a stupid, incredible franchise

Those were Unversed, not Heartless

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Boy, Pixar really let Disney hollow them out huh. Feels like everything they make is an "in case of emergency break glass" sequel or spinoff when they aren't making their originals like Elemental and Soul, which seem to be getting blander.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Soul was really disappointing for spending most of a spirit of inspiration/meaning of life in death story on ugly cat body swap hijinks.
How do you make a cat ugly. They are piles of triangles with massive eyes.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Sivart13 posted:

lil twist: it's actually The Road, and the movie is about immortal toys living on past human civilization's post-apocalyptic turn to baby cannibalism

im watching this

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Iirc Moana 2 is old news

I'm still skeptical that this will come out this year though. Disney does not want another box office underperformer after Wish, which a movie being hurriedly kitbashed out of the parts of a now cancelled TV spin off to be sent out against the Wicked movie is very likely to be. And a lot of creatives on the animation side are pretty unhappy with how the similarly rushed production of Frozen 2 played out. My hunch is that we'll only see it this year if the new Pixar does very well.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 7, 2024

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
We watched Wish last night, and... Wow, it was so bland. I won't bother mentioning the premise, writing, or songs since that's been so overdone by now.

Until the climax, every composition was so flat or shot like a TV show. The night scenes (of which there are A LOT) are completely lacking in contrast and hard to read unless there's something bright and magical in the scene, and when it's bright, the "watercolor" rendering looks so flat and underdeveloped. The only mildly interesting character is the king, who actually gets fun facial expressions (even tho they don't match the tone of the scene most of the time). The voice cast is also whatever.

Like even though Strange World, Frozen 2, and Raya had boring and/or messy stories, they still had creativity in the visuals and clear passion behind. It's like no one cared at any level

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

That really sucks, cause composition is one element where animation can really shine. I mean, they have control over every element in frame. Arcane and Blue Eyed Samurai were both shows where I actually consciously noticed how good the composition was, which I don't usually do. However the new Ripley series on Netflix also has incredible composition. Something about being shot in black and white really lets them control the visual elements in an incredible way.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I think I'm gonna check out last year's thread around the time Wish came out to see people really digging into it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ccs posted:

That really sucks, cause composition is one element where animation can really shine. I mean, they have control over every element in frame. Arcane and Blue Eyed Samurai were both shows where I actually consciously noticed how good the composition was, which I don't usually do. However the new Ripley series on Netflix also has incredible composition. Something about being shot in black and white really lets them control the visual elements in an incredible way.

I don't think it's the black and white necessarily. I jumped from Ripley to Sugar, which also opens with black and white photography, and the difference was stark. You've got to have someone who knows what they're doing and is allowed to do a good job.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I liked Wish as much as much as Disney's classics. It takes place in an immigrant society where people are supposed to be grateful, there's a revolution against the king. I thought the first song was too expository and almost talky, but "Knowing What I Know Now" and the villain's song "This Is the Thanks I Get" were great.

After the movie was over, I was thinking, it doesn't make sense that people would forget their wishes when they could just tell someone else before giving them up. The magic would have to erase everyone's memories and not just the person giving up the wish, so that can be papered over easily, though.

SolarFire2 posted:

Went to Target today and got to see an example what an enormous swing-and-miss Wish was for Disney. An entire section of the toy department filled with untouched merchandise from that movie.

I think the merchandise isn't selling because all of the regular characters are regular citizens, unlike a princess or Sleeping Beauty with her fairy god mothers, and Asha doesn't have control of her magic for all of the film. So the fantasy roleplay aspect isn't there like it is for little girls who roleplay Elsa and Anna. In a way, the movie is the opposite of Frozen in that the movie encourages the audience to focus on achieving their own dreams, and pretending to be Asha isn't any better than pretending to be yourself for that. Asha doesn't have a standout personality like Elsa's introversion or Anna's extroversion, but that's okay with me.

Das Boo posted:

Okay, seen Wish now and I have a quesrion: Why does Asha keep insisting Star doesn't grant wishes when that's literally all it does the whole film?

I don't remember that, but at the end Asha says that Star has to return to the sky to grant other people's wishes

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It really just doesn't make sense. They set up this huge convoluted system about having a wish and giving it up when you turn eighteen to live in a perfect society, and the whole entire plot and the arcs of all the characters hinge on it, but the movie itself doesn't know how it works or what it means. The king develops a land where he takes everyone's wishes because his family was murdered, which implies that murdering people is a wish, so he has to be the gatekeeper of wishes. But then at the end the solution is to just give everyone their wishes even though the plot has explicitly told us that there are, in fact, bad wishes. So is everyone in town just accidentally harmonious? And what does it even mean to give up a wish? If the animals and plants are capable of wishing, why aren't they all talking all the time? What?

I think the animals aren't able to talk until Asha's wish, and the ones that are able to talk afterwards like Magnifico's horses are the ones that Star didn't touch. I didn't think about crime wishes coming back until this post, though.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 8, 2024

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Songs were godawful, generic visual style, plot too convoluted and nonsensical, and the shoehorned in 7 dwarves friends added up to too many extraneous characters.
Just a bad movie all around.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

TwoPair posted:

oh noooo what a shaaaame.

(okay this is actually the first time I've heard of Big Nate so maybe that was an actual shame but I cannot bring myself to mourn the loss of the Rugrats reboot)

e: okay after a minute of thinking okay I do feel bad for the artists' having their hard work being just flushed into the ether no matter if I think the shows themselves are any good...

The Big Nate show was pretty mid. It made a lot of weird changes from the source material (for example Nate’s teacher now actually hates him rather than it all being in Nate’s head) and added a bunch of gross out humor for no reason.

Still absolutely hate this trend of dumping shows down the memory hole though. If you like something even a little then you are morally obligated to pirate it these days.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

galenanorth posted:

I don't remember that, but at the end Asha says that Star has to return to the sky to grant other people's wishes

She said it at least twice, one of the times being when she introduced Star to her friends. I remember thinking it was weird since it was after the animal song where she witnessed full force what Star does.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Anyway, legendary Parisian animation school Gobelins is using AI in its advertisements. :cripes:

https://twitter.com/kda_artist/status/1777374299571023953

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

lol that Midorya.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Anyway, legendary Parisian animation school Gobelins is using AI in its advertisements. :cripes:

I attended a 2 week workshop for international students at Gobelins nearly a decade ago (I might have posted about it before?). Normally the workshop had like 27-35 attendees at a time, I knew some other people who’d gone and decided to apply myself.

I arrive and there’s 76 attendees because a Chinese school paid Gobelin’s enough for their whole class to attend. Gobelins told us the additional students were just auditing and would not be participating in the workshop exercises, so they wouldn’t actually be over double capacity and understaffed.

Ha.

First lecture the guy leading the whole workshop tells us his wife is due to give birth and he may be gone a couple days. That was the first and last time we ever saw him.

The other instructors scramble to fill the absence. Not only is there no lesson plan but no one seems to have gotten the memo that half the attendees are auditing (they were still doing the animation exercises and requesting feedback) so they’re also super understaffed. Two of the three remaining instructors, literally after seeing my last assignment, had to stop and introduce themselves before starting my final critique. Two whole weeks and they hadn’t seen my work because they were overwhelmed with the extra students!

Towards the end the school principal announced to us that they were opening a program for International students with no age cap. Felt like we’d been conned into a commercial.

Anyway met some very cool people there but what a loving poo poo show.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

That school fr real said the attendees gonna Gobelins deez nuts.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

lol that Midorya.

Mon Hero Académie featuring Jacques Midoriya

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

TwoPair posted:

Mon Hero Académie featuring Jacques Midoriya

Jacques Midoriya and Remy Bakugo definitely end up together in that one. Or at least have a wonderful and informative summer together in the French countryside.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I am le here - all might

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/discussingfilm/status/1777347164672573774?s=46

Incredible

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
GOOD.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Wow that's exciting.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
holy loving poo poo
https://twitter.com/kiyandrew/status/1777498195297497118

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Use the YouTube link, twt’s video codec is absolutely terrible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vuy6rEKE3jA

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

lol that shot of Florence Pugh.

(this news rocks, but that's what jumped out at me)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Use the YouTube link, twt’s video codec is absolutely terrible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vuy6rEKE3jA

Fuckin dope

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Crocobile posted:

I attended a 2 week workshop for international students at Gobelins nearly a decade ago (I might have posted about it before?). Normally the workshop had like 27-35 attendees at a time, I knew some other people who’d gone and decided to apply myself.

I arrive and there’s 76 attendees because a Chinese school paid Gobelin’s enough for their whole class to attend. Gobelins told us the additional students were just auditing and would not be participating in the workshop exercises, so they wouldn’t actually be over double capacity and understaffed.

Ha.

Feels like all the major animation schools decided to sell out their brand for some quick cash. Not to say the students who still attend these courses aren't talented, but if I meet someone who studied animation 40 years ago they probably went to Cal Arts or Sheridan, but if its someone who studied in the past 10 years, they more than likely took online courses or studied some place no one has ever heard of in their own country, then worked around the world at various crazy studios until finally breaking into a decent studio in the west.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Ccs posted:

Feels like all the major animation schools decided to sell out their brand for some quick cash. Not to say the students who still attend these courses aren't talented, but if I meet someone who studied animation 40 years ago they probably went to Cal Arts or Sheridan, but if its someone who studied in the past 10 years, they more than likely took online courses or studied some place no one has ever heard of in their own country, then worked around the world at various crazy studios until finally breaking into a decent studio in the west.

Yeah, I went to Calarts and tell people that if they ”have” to go, don’t bother paying for more than one year. There are TONS of cheaper independent classes in the LA area (Concept Design Academy, Brainstorm) and what you’re really paying for is networking and connections. Which you can get by just being in animation-related spaces in LA. I know people who did just that; did one year at Calarts then transferred to CSUN but kept up with their connections.

I think private art school is dumb and honestly wish I had gone to a state college or gone somewhere overseas (which would have been WAY cheaper!!). College is great for life experience, meeting people different from you, and exposing yourself to new things.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

Missed the Peter Pan talk, just had to say for all of its faults Hans Conried gives one of the best voice acting performances of all time.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The_Doctor posted:

This got a community note for those who missed it. The images came from a site made by the students of Gobelins.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, was Kung Fu Panda 4 any good? I don’t recall people talking about it much here

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

What ive heard is that Kung fu panda is easily the weakest movie of the 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Electric Phantasm posted:

This got a community note for those who missed it. The images came from a site made by the students of Gobelins.

I don't quite understand this. It says it's a anti-bullying book project by Gobelins students, so is this condoned by the school or just an outside alumni project?