Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Das Boo posted:

I don't quite understand this. It says it's a anti-bullying book project by Gobelins students, so is this condoned by the school or just an outside alumni project?
I think the point is that "a student project by students at gobelins used ai" is different from what was implied by "the most famous french art school gobelins is using AI for their site and advertising" regardless of whether you feel that they should be allowed to use ai for student projects?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

mystes posted:

I think the point is that "a student project by students at gobelins used ai" is different from what was implied by "the most famous french art school gobelins is using AI for their site and advertising" regardless of whether you feel that they should be allowed to use ai for student projects?

Right, I'm just not entirely clear on how much involvement the school actually has here. Whether this is a class project with instructor oversight vs. something students initiated on their own and the school is providing publicity have hugely different culpability levels.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

Larryb posted:

On another note, was Kung Fu Panda 4 any good? I don’t recall people talking about it much here

It feels more like a kid's movie than the others do imo, super fast paced and a lot more focus on gags. The parts that are supposed to be emotional don't really land because there was barely any meaningful development between characters. No stand-out scenes either, like how even KFP3 had that visually fun final fight that was memorable despite the overall movie just being okay at best.

It's a shame the villain is such a wet fart of a character, because I like her design and concept. She just has zero presence and barely feels like a threat. Tai-Lung had his incredible prison break sequence and was built up as an impending danger throughout the film, Shen committed loving genocide, even Kai (who was considered the weakest villain until now) was shown defeating Oogway at the start of his movie.

What does The Chameleon do? She pushes a guy down some stairs. That's it. It doesn't even have any gravity because it's played for laughs and the guy just comically bounces down the stairs and is otherwise fine. Have her throw a guy out a window at least, drat!! Technically she has the scene at the start where she's disguised as Tai-Lung and causes panic, but even then it's hardly memorable. And then there's the whole contrived thing about her being turned away from kung fu because she was "too small" (in a world where Mantis exists). They were going for some sort of parallel I guess - Po was initially told he couldn't do kung fu because he was "too big and fat" after all - but like every other concept in this movie, it was half-baked and barely explored.

Speaking of Tai-Lung's inclusion, it's so so clear that he and the other past villains are only in it for nostalgia bait and don't serve any actual purpose other than for the audience to point and go "hey, I remember that guy!". Honestly it's amazing he even got any lines at all instead of just being a cameo appearance like Shen and Kai.

The final fight was pretty underwhelming too, especially because it turns out Po could have just two-shot her with the staff the whole time. She goes down so easily! They could have just not had her give Po the staff back after she was done with it; at least then you could add some vague stakes with them having to get it back so they can beat her. But then I guess there's the whole "it only works if you give it willingly" thing or whatever that they would have had to work out, and why do that when you could instead be cramming in more references to the previous movies

Also the bit at the end where Tai-Lung bows to Po was so out of character and not at all earned. All Po did was get himself trapped, spout something about the fox being the only one who could beat The Chameleon, later come in and beat The Chameleon with the staff he'd been holding the entire time, and then reveal he could have gotten un-trapped whenever he wanted, something something fox girl just had to ~believe in herself~. Tai-Lung has no idea who the gently caress this fox girl is, why would he care? A more entertaining finale would have been Po turning around after beating The Chameleon and seeing all his previous foes approaching him cracking their knuckles or whatever, and then they have to fight them all and send them back to the spirit realm one by one or something. I don't know, at least it'd be vaguely memorable, maybe

I don't think it's a terrible movie, it was enjoyable enough, but it's just full of weird decisions and half-baked ideas. Po has to choose a successor, for reasons. What reasons? He just does, okay. He just has to do it. I know they barely ever do anything with the Furious Five, but their total absence from the movie outside of a passing reference and an end credits scene just makes the whole thing not really feel like a Kung Fu Panda movie. I liked the fox character and thought her design was cute, but she also looked kind of out of place and like she'd hopped in from, idk, Zootopia.

Mostly it just made me want to re-watch the first one again, which I did the next day after not having watched it in a good while. Still holds up! Tai-Lung's escape is an amazing watch and the finale is still fantastic. Might re-watch the second one next.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
If you would have told me back when the first KFP movie came out that it would spawn 3 sequels + a TV show I would've laughed in your face. Kinda wild how it's gone this long.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Butt Detective posted:

Po has to choose a successor, for reasons. What reasons? He just does, okay. He just has to do it.

Every third Dreamworks movie must bear the sins of Shrek 3.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TwoPair posted:

If you would have told me back when the first KFP movie came out that it would spawn 3 sequels + a TV show I would've laughed in your face. Kinda wild how it's gone this long.

Three shows actually (Legends of Awesomeness, Paws of Destiny, and The Dragon Knight), plus a holiday special that takes place after the first movie

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I read somewhere that they always planned for KFP to be a six movie thing.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
there's a Q&A with the co-director of Kung-Fu Panda 4 that basically explains that the entire production was a shitshow: https://www.reddit.com/r/kungfupanda/comments/1bbbnod/got_to_talk_to_the_codirector_of_kfp_4_and/

and the bullet points are here for people who don't want to go to Reddit

• Early on, KFP4 was considered to be live action-animation hybrid, and featured humans. I posted concept art of the human Chameleon (then, The Collector, even though we already have Kai the Collector) vs Po. Seems like Zhen would've been human too. They'd have come from Hu-man City, apparently... To add insult to injury, one of these versions had Po, the protagonist, stuck in a BOX for 20 MINUTES.

• Mike Mitchell, the director, had total creative freedom. Hence, him + the studio leadership wanting laughs and a more joke-y vibe led to the overall tone, like the F5's comical side missions. Jack Black called him the "comedy guy", while Stephanie brought "things deeper" and "more heart"

• Additionally, it was Mitchell who insisted against fleshing out the Chameleon's backstory. Apparently, Chameleon and Zhen had ZERO backstory in early versions. By the time the crew pushed him enough to change his mind, they were too far along in animating to add anything but the Chameleon's few lines.

• The runtime was a studio mandate since they believed children can't watch a longer film + maximize profits.

• TV shows are non-canon, as they are under separate film and television divisions that are "rivals".

• Lord Shen, General Kai, and the Furious Five were VERY last minute additions to the point that their animation rigs were "made of sticks and glue". Hence, no plot relevance (e.g. not redeemed properly) and inability to bring back their actors, as much as some of the crew advocated for their return. Furthermore, there's a thing where actors are brought in for voice roles with X amount of money, and exponential increases for sequels. Apparently, a single line from Jolie would've cost $20 million, so you can imagine why the Five were absent...

• Not everyone who dies goes to the Spirit Realm. It's not a definite rule behind-the-scenes, but it's vaguely agreed upon that only kung fu practitioners can pass on. It was also Mitchell's idea that all 3 villains were indeed sent to the Realm and that the Chameleon only wanted master VILLAINS summoned. [Pretty sure that retcons Lord Shen but alas-]

• Pelican is named Chip, and a female. The fish in her beak is Fish.

• Calvin Tsang, Head of Story, directed "a short film for KFP 4". Though, DreamWorks gave him a low budget but apparently he pulled enough favours for it to work out, with Stephanie describing it as "amazing, seriously" and shows "how strong of a director's voice he has".

• Future spin-offs uncertain. DreamWorks has dissolved most, if not all, of its TV division.

• Though, Mitchell was very vocal about a F5 spinoff. Execs are aware of the fans' demand for it.

• Shifu's staff lacks its golden piece since it has been repaired following his mastery of Chi, per production designer Paul Duncan. (Same man responsible for bringing back the Dagger of Deng Wa with his attention to detail.)

• Universal mandated for a tentpole film like KFP4 to have "stars" hired for voicework.

• For the record, Stephanie wanted for KFP4 to "stay truer to KFP1 and KFP 2" but was dismissed as a nobody by the crew.

• Case in point, she wanted Tai Lung being brought back to be done right. She pitched for Po/Shifu to have a vision of the Chameleon kidnapping Shifu, prompting Po to go on a quest to stop her. Shifu gets kidnapped anyway due to the Chameleon's manipulations, and he's hence present to say goodbye to Tai Lung. The execs loved it but "someone axed it". For those who've seen the film, the vision was reduced to Po's dream enroute to Juniper City.

• Another example of Stephanie's intervention, she fought for Zhen to be redeemed ONSCREEN after betraying Po, much to the writers' refusal. She was supposed to swoop in out of nowhere to fight the Chameleon for a bit and disappears quickly again. She also ensured that her redemption scene wasn't just dialogue and had action going on. (She admits to Po and Zhen's underbaked relationship not supplementing this scene enough though.)

• The writers seemed to HATE comments "poking holes at the story".

• Zhen is a Corsac Fox as its the Asian fox with distinctive facial features.

• Nico Marlet, renowned concept artist, only worked on the film for a week, left, and refused to come back.

• Many crewmembers pitched ideas for Zhen's family's backstory but all were discarded.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Oh god, a "Comedy Guy" should never be a thing. Scripts don't need punching up. Literally "I just fell on my bottom into some butterscotch! Whackity Smackity Doo!"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The thing about Dreamworks scuttling a large portion of its TV division sucks because they’ve put out a fair share of quality animated content (Kipo and the She-Ra reboot for example, the HTTYD series was also decent in parts)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 10, 2024

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Am I biased because I've had to watch a lot of it or is Cocomelon really quite bad even by the standards of shows for very small children?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Rand Brittain posted:

Am I biased because I've had to watch a lot of it or is Cocomelon really quite bad even by the standards of shows for very small children?

It’s not just you, Cocomelon is loving awful. It’s a crime against animation and good taste. I’m glad my niece and nephew have aged out of it and into Bluey.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Rand Brittain posted:

cocomelon is less of a "show" and more of a hypnosis device

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Cocomelon seems to be a show designed entirely for infants with no regard for anyone else in the vicinity

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea KFP 4 just feels lifeless. They couldn’t even be assed to bring in the furious 5. It feels so fuckin cheap. Even though 3 was a little weaker it still had some good emotional stuff and some memorable scenes. Just bleck.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Robindaybird posted:

Cocomelon seems to be a show designed entirely for infants with no regard for anyone else in the vicinity
Unfortunately many infants are like that nowadays

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently an R rated adaption of TMNT: The Last Ronin is in the works

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-last-ronin-movie-1235871493/

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://x.com/netflix/status/1778483178803454217?s=46&t=8qKeRz1MPwpnqaU9WYBJgg

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Live action, unfortunately

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Live action, unfortunately

Eh, the first live action Turtles movie wasn’t terrible. It all depends on the production value and who’s attached to the project (I agree this probably would have worked better as an animated film though)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Live action is a toxic plague that we have let run rampant for far too long

mystes
May 31, 2006

It seems pretty weird to make an r rated live action tmnt movie right after mutant mayhem

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

mystes posted:

It seems pretty weird to make an r rated live action tmnt movie right after mutant mayhem

I wonder if that's the reason it's live action. To differentiate it further from the animated one.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
3 CG skateboarding mutants and then the 4th one is just a small regular turtle chilling in a box because Donatello knew better than to eat weird glowing goop. Also Michaelangelo rides a razor scooter just to be different. Teenage Mutant Ninja Shitposts.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
In a nod to realism re: rat physiology, Splinter is actually just a gigantic sentient mobile tumour that looks like a rat, with the actual dead irradiated rat attached to the small of his back.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

Live action is a toxic plague that we have let run rampant for far too long

I don't know what you're talking about, I can't wait for whatever James Marsden's subplot in Sonic 3 will be :v:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
About Kung Fu Panda - has there been a #4 in an animated movie series that wasn't a disaster? That's straight-to-VHS territory in my eyes.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

LifeLynx posted:

About Kung Fu Panda - has there been a #4 in an animated movie series that wasn't a disaster? That's straight-to-VHS territory in my eyes.

Shrek reversed it with 3 being generally panned but fan consensus being that 4 was better.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LifeLynx posted:

People liked toy story 4 but i thought that poo poo stunk like rancid rear end

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

TwoPair posted:

I don't know what you're talking about, I can't wait for whatever James Marsden's subplot in Sonic 3 will be :v:

I'd be surprised if they don't pull an Ugly Sonic on that guy and switch in a double with CGI, given the press he's getting recently with regards to Brian Peck.

Unless that's :thejoke:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

TwoPair posted:

Sonic gets a pass because I love Sonic

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Marsden was legit good, which shocked me. Sonic has better humans than Detective Pikachu overall. Heck, I didn't even mind the wedding sequence in 2, even though it was obvious padding. I wanna see his sister in law giving romantic advice to Amy in 3. And still hating Sonic but liking Tails.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I just got done watching KFP4 and it's noticeably weaker than the other three.

There's an argument to be made that the overhype vs actual substance WRT the Chameleon and her abilities, especially in her introduction scene, is deliberate given the theme of manipulation and posturing vs concrete skill, but it still wasn't executed in an engaging way. Compare the Chameleon's introduction scene with say, this - she still could've been so much more dangerous. I also dislike that the first female villain of the series isn't allowed to be physically on par with the male ones, with an incredibly flimsy justification at that.

But, since they went that direction, her choosing to take the 'easier' way out and use her powers to shortcut past actual kung fu training and discipline without truly learning the lessons about it and about herself would be a stronger story - I'm thinking specifically of the scene where she rushes opening the spirit realm. It reminded me of the scene with Oogway's candles from the first and I was fully expecting her ditching the ritual aspect of waiting for the full moon to have some kind of consequence later on, but no. I almost wonder if that actually was the intent originally and her simply being rejected (with the possibility that she's bullshitting that too) was a last-minute replacement. It feels so frustratingly close to the point, but from entirely the wrong starting point. Also found it odd she never found Oogway in there.

Zhen is completely charmless until the reveal and even then her bond with Po is still kinda weak - she's far too smug for far too long, not enough moments of relaxing her guard around Po for me to buy that she started to genuinely like him or felt bad about turning on him. Again, could be deliberate given it's a fake persona, but the execution was still poor to me. They also could've gone way harder with the parallels between Zhen, Han and the Chameleon with Po, his dads and Shifu. I liked Awkwafina's performance as Sisu in Raya so I don't dislike it here, but she was noticeably much stronger in the second half than the first to me. Sisu was a very sincere, earnest character and that's definitely one of Awkwafina's strengths, but sincerity is something this movie seems kind of scared of and she suffers the most from it as a result.

Tai Lung being relegated to the peanut gallery for most of his scenes and not having anything to do with Shifu sucks (I feel like them having not the chance to speak again is key to his continuing failure to find inner peace, even if that's mostly used for gags), but I don't inherently hate the concept of Tai Lung accepting Po's strength without needing yet another beatdown. He's been beaten by Po himself directly, and beaten again by proxy with the stolen chi through Kai. He's had enough time to get over it. I almost feel like it'd have been stronger if he didn't speak until his shock endorsement of Po right at the end, paralleling his first appearance where he didn't speak until after he escaped from the prison.

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 12, 2024

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Marsden was legit good, which shocked me. Sonic has better humans than Detective Pikachu overall. Heck, I didn't even mind the wedding sequence in 2, even though it was obvious padding. I wanna see his sister in law giving romantic advice to Amy in 3. And still hating Sonic but liking Tails.

It helped that the wedding bit was genuinely funny, like when the characters are fawning over how cute Tail's gadgets are while going through his stuff, and the bride on the warpath kamikazeing the gazebo with a golf cart.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
both times when i've been the only one awake on a saturday morning and i've reluctantly gone "well, i guess i'll watch this sonic movie" it has been exactly the right time and mindset to be charmed by the fuckin' things. when i inevitably do the same with 3 i'll need to remember to pour a big bowl of cinnamon toast crunch first.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The wedding bit didn't work for me at all, I don't find that particular character all that funny and I found myself checking my phone for the time when that was happening.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Nikumatic posted:

both times when i've been the only one awake on a saturday morning and i've reluctantly gone "well, i guess i'll watch this sonic movie" it has been exactly the right time and mindset to be charmed by the fuckin' things. when i inevitably do the same with 3 i'll need to remember to pour a big bowl of cinnamon toast crunch first.

Robonik and Stone have the best bromance.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It helps that Knuckles is Best Boy and carries the whole movie

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Assuming Amy’s even in the movie, so far the only new Sonic characters that have been confirmed are Shadow and Maria (and by association Gerald)

Plus if you bring in Metal Sonic and focus on the time travel aspect of CD Amy feels more like she could be the premise of a whole seperate movie

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Macaluso posted:

The wedding bit didn't work for me at all, I don't find that particular character all that funny and I found myself checking my phone for the time when that was happening.

I've heard it said that the whole wedding bit was basically a little present for all the people who had take their kids to the movie and didn't care about this little CG critter.