Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There should have been an easter egg referencing the nude woman from The Rescuers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
HOW DO YOU NOT DO KINGDOM HEARTS AS THE ANNIVERSARY MOVIE???

Disney's alergic to money.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Disney's allergic to money.

Square is apparently notoriously hard to work with. I would not be surprised if they couldn't come to an agreement that Square was happy with instead of the other way around considering Disney was apparently on board with Sora in Smash from day one

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

They probably did, Rescuers, Great Mouse Detective and Oliver & Company tend to get overlooked a lot.

I definitely remember Great Mouse Detective and Oliver and Company constellations making it all the weirder. Leads me well into my next question, what happened with The Rescuers and Disney?
It did well and was popular in its time and was the first to get a main studio sequel but it’s seemingly erased from Disney canon. You don’t see the characters mentioned anywhere and they show up very rarely in merch. Did something happen to it? (Besides the nudity frame)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Kermit The Grog posted:

I definitely remember Great Mouse Detective and Oliver and Company constellations making it all the weirder. Leads me well into my next question, what happened with The Rescuers and Disney?
It did well and was popular in its time and was the first to get a main studio sequel but it’s seemingly erased from Disney canon. You don’t see the characters mentioned anywhere and they show up very rarely in merch. Did something happen to it? (Besides the nudity frame)

I guess the fact that the sequel underperformed sent a message that they shouldn't bother investing any more into those characters. Even though it really only underperformed compared to The Little Freaking Mermaid.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Macaluso posted:

Square is apparently notoriously hard to work with. I would not be surprised if they couldn't come to an agreement that Square was happy with instead of the other way around considering Disney was apparently on board with Sora in Smash from day one

So just do "Kingdom Hearts" with just the Disney characters. Hell, they own Marvel, just have Nick Fury show up and recruit them all to fight Maleficent.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Phylodox posted:

So just do "Kingdom Hearts" with just the Disney characters.

They did this, it was Wreck It Ralph 2, and it was very bad.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Macaluso posted:

It's still loving me up that it was SE and not Disney being the biggest roadblock for Sora getting into Smash.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
japanese streamers also sound like they have bad experiences when they talk about getting permissions to play square-enix games (as you often have to over there), guess it's just a whole thing with them

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
SE was also a huge diva over Cloud returning for Smash Ultimate, and with the bare minimum content he had as a DLC character and not even translated voice acting. I think they had a huge branding thing over the FF7 remake still being in development.

They've been pretty prone to comically baffling decisions in recent years, like giving Yuji Naka free reign to completely gently caress up Balan Wonderworld, and still trying to make NFT games happen despite clearly absolutely no one below management level giving a poo poo.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I can get taking bland corporate mascots serious because it's crazy easy to taint water, but it's wild that the lore-laden spiky sad boys are taken so deadly serious.
Cloud has spoken to Donald Duck and Lightning tried to sell me Prada. We're over the dork line here.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/BayouBomber/status/1747645424666587611?t=0NgrgrOo4UMuXSyLQZGFrQ&s=19
I thought this series had come out already. Seemed too twee edgy for me, then again imagine if they tried to release Invader Zim in this day and age with Twitter and the internet peanut gallery and all that. Also lots of trad nerds getting offended at the religious imagery :byodood: "THAT'S NOT HOW HEAVEN WORKS! THAT'S NOT HOW ANY OF IT WORKS!"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Panfilo posted:

https://twitter.com/BayouBomber/status/1747645424666587611?t=0NgrgrOo4UMuXSyLQZGFrQ&s=19
I thought this series had come out already. Seemed too twee edgy for me, then again imagine if they tried to release Invader Zim in this day and age with Twitter and the internet peanut gallery and all that.

They did the movie which came out in 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Panfilo posted:

I thought this series had come out already. Seemed too twee edgy for me, then again imagine if they tried to release Invader Zim in this day and age with Twitter and the internet peanut gallery and all that. Also lots of trad nerds getting offended at the religious imagery :byodood: "THAT'S NOT HOW HEAVEN WORKS! THAT'S NOT HOW ANY OF IT WORKS!"

The pilot came out in 2019 but the series officially starts tomorrow (though two episodes already got leaked). It's actually pretty good, as is its sister series Helluva Boss

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Das Boo posted:

I can get taking bland corporate mascots serious because it's crazy easy to taint water, but it's wild that the lore-laden spiky sad boys are taken so deadly serious.
Cloud has spoken to Donald Duck and Lightning tried to sell me Prada. We're over the dork line here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-zuFjI-YnU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Das Boo posted:

Weirdly enough everyone was surprised said remake actually remembered the characters' personalities, that Cloud is a huge dork pretending to be a stoic and Aerith takes no poo poo.

I think it's more S-E is very arbitrary (and often incorrect) who they trust to handle their precious babies, who get basically free reign with them, like Nomura being basically the only guy other than the FF14 dude they let direct a game anymore.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wish Jhonen would make another show but I get why he won't. One canceled 2 seasons in, and one canceled before it got finished.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

this hazbin boss poo poo has none of the elements that made me fall in love with Zim. Namely paranormal nonsense and pure stupidity

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Disney's alergic to money.

Personally I never understood why they never made a Mickey mouse movie.

Fun and Fancy free is close as you can get and its technically Jack and the beanstalk with 3 Jacks.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Pixeltendo posted:

Personally I never understood why they never made a Mickey mouse movie.

this has been on my mind since literally the 1990s, when i first tried to take an interest in animation

"if mickey mouse is the most recognizable character in the world, why aren't there any mickey mouse cartoons?"

even in the very occasional instances where I'd be at a relative's house where they sprang for the disney channel surcharge on their cable bill (or could just point their satellite dish to pick it up), they'd never play anything with mickey - like the same five shorts, usually featuring the prototypical, no-dialogue chip and dale. sometimes goofy.

even loving kingdom hearts's whole thing is built around a lack of mickey

he's defined by his absence more than his presence

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Since making him their trademark and logo, they're so locked down on Mickey never doing anything that might not align perfectly with their brand projection that I don't think there's any way they could do a decent long story with him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

CelticPredator posted:

this hazbin boss poo poo has none of the elements that made me fall in love with Zim. Namely paranormal nonsense and pure stupidity

It's very much not really trying to do the same thing. They may have Zim's VA but his character's got more in common with Dagget than Zim.

MikeJF posted:

Since making him their trademark and logo, they're so locked down on Mickey never doing anything that might not align perfectly with their brand projection that I don't think there's any way they could do a decent long story with him.

This is about where people bring up the Mickey shorts on YouTube, but thing is it's far too little, far too late, and Disney doesn't do poo poo to promote them, they're even more buried than the rest of their TV animation. That and I think Disney flat out doesn't know how to do long form stories anymore, and seems to actively sabotage anyone who tries.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
What does "too little too late" really mean when you're talking about a character aimed at children, though. Like, isn't it entirely possible kids today primarily associate Mickey with those shorts, and thus a much less sanitized iteration? They're 10 years old now (which is crazy, time flies). And they just did a followup series in the same style, so it's not like they're burying them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q39cIdslzQ

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 19, 2024

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Mickey seems to live in the realm of tv shows for toddlers. My little guy can’t get enough of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.

remigious fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 19, 2024

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think he just hangs out around younger kid television. I mean he’s been doing that since the nineties at the very least. All media around Mickey including games is targeted at a younger audience.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

When the topic is Disney, it should be pretty clear that it's not just about reaching the kids of today- the point is Disney totally squandered the reach it had in the 80s and 90s when there was far fewer competition for children's eyeballs, and entire generations grew up knowing Mickey only as a mascot with less personality than Chuck E Cheese, or exclusively in boring edutainment for babies they left behind as soon as possible to watch Transformers, Ninja Turtles, and Pokemon. (where as formulaic and often juvenile as they can be, they at least aren't boring.) Nowadays, a handful of shorts are absolutely nothing compared even to their own remaining cartoons like Phineas and Ferb, let alone the YouTube deluge or juggernauts like Paw Patrol and Bluey. Mickey ends up in the position of Barney where while entertaining for the target audience, the moment they start feeling too old for it, they get immediately and permanently discarded, and that becomes trouble when you want to use Mickey as a mascot to sell to any other audience.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Macaluso posted:

This at least goes both ways I think. Square is difficult to work with around Final Fantasy adjacent stuff, but Kingdom Hearts itself shows off that Disney can be very controlling of their IP too, it's specifically Sora (who they likely are fine with crossing over with all kinds of stuff because that's what he is for) who Disney are likely not too fussed about. But development of KH3 required communication with Disney's "brand management" for each world or something, which is why the Pixar ones are good, the older Disney properties with like one person to talk to are good, but Frozen suuuucks.

Kingdom Hearts is probably a situation neither company is fully happy with, but which parts they're unhappy with are different.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

While Nintendo reportedly is very fussy about how their characters are portrayed and used by third parties but given the history of what happens when they look away for five minutes it's very hard to blame them.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I don't think that something that has a whole lot of not-Disney stuff and some of the most incomprehensible lore would make a good choice for an anniversary movie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Eh, Sora is very marketable and even most Kingdom Hearts fans have no idea what's going on with the story. It'd probably be the most comprehensible plot Disney has put out in a while at this point anyway.

Also incidentally, Sora and all Kingdom Hearts original characters are iirc actually owned by Disney, they just let S-E make the games. All S-E owns are the Final Fantasy characters that occasionally appear and associated lended material like the spells.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I think they even have a Sora mascot at Disney World Japan (or they did at one point at least)

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Make Oswald the missing king that Mickey, Donald, and Goofy have to travel across worlds to find before Pete and Maleficent do. It ain't rocket surgery.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

When the topic is Disney, it should be pretty clear that it's not just about reaching the kids of today- the point is Disney totally squandered the reach it had in the 80s and 90s when there was far fewer competition for children's eyeballs, and entire generations grew up knowing Mickey only as a mascot with less personality than Chuck E Cheese, or exclusively in boring edutainment for babies they left behind as soon as possible to watch Transformers, Ninja Turtles, and Pokemon. (where as formulaic and often juvenile as they can be, they at least aren't boring.)

I do wonder if they were stinging from their attempt to update Minnie in the 80s and shied away from trying it with Mickey.

Totally Minnie was roundly mocked for an obvious attempt at 'how you do, fellow kids?' (though funnily, she's about the only incarnation who isn't completely defined by her relationship with Mickey)
EDIT: thinking about it, Minnie was probably a dry run to see if they can update Mickey & Co, and cancelled it on seeing how Totally Minnie went over like a lead balloon.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 19, 2024

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Eh, Sora is very marketable and even most Kingdom Hearts fans have no idea what's going on with the story. It'd probably be the most comprehensible plot Disney has put out in a while at this point anyway.

Also incidentally, Sora and all Kingdom Hearts original characters are iirc actually owned by Disney, they just let S-E make the games. All S-E owns are the Final Fantasy characters that occasionally appear and associated lended material like the spells.

I feel like it's probably some sort of co-ownership situation.

Also I think everybody's vastly overestimating the size of the fanbase. I mean, I'm sure it's huge, but in comparison to the fanbase for other Disney properties/Disney as a whole it's probably comparatively niche. Because if it were that huge, you're right, they would fight tooth and nail to make Sora's goofy anime rear end pop up

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's not that Kingdom Hearts specifically is that huge, it's that Kingdom Hearts is deliberately designed to let them throw all their popular franchises into a big crossover.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Kingdom hearts is my favorite final fantasy games

mystes
May 31, 2006

MikeJF posted:

yeah I think it's this.

Since mickey is their trademark/logo, they're so concerned about brand safety that they can't really put him in anything except occasional shorts or stuff for preschoolers because he can't have an actual character or do anything bad. This means that there's no way to make him interesting, so it effectively kills him as a character, which means that nobody cares about him.

I don't think it really matters though. If anything disney's problem is that it already recycles the same IP over and over again too much anyway.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 19, 2024

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Robindaybird posted:

I do wonder if they were stinging from their attempt to update Minnie in the 80s and shied away from trying it with Mickey.

Totally Minnie was roundly mocked for an obvious attempt at 'how you do, fellow kids?' (though funnily, she's about the only incarnation who isn't completely defined by her relationship with Mickey)
EDIT: thinking about it, Minnie was probably a dry run to see if they can update Mickey & Co, and cancelled it on seeing how Totally Minnie went over like a lead balloon.
there should have been more specials about the other disney properties and how they want to gently caress pop stars

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 19, 2024

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Haha looks like that involved another appearance of Sport Goofy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
For the record the Frozen world in KH3 rules because they had the gall to put the entire like 3 minutes of Let It Go in the game