Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of people are really pissed at lingering Bayformers aftertaste, and I bet the people who actually like Bayformers are pissed that there aren't any comic relief humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The Transformers One trailer does look pretty nice but I really don't care for that brand of humor.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

HellOnEarth posted:

Man I should rewatch the Tangled cartoon.

i got into it just recently and i was very impressed that they managed to take the dumb executive mandate of 'give rapunzel back her magic hair that she hates' and turn it into a good idea to build a longform fantasy mystery on

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

ungulateman posted:

i got into it just recently and i was very impressed that they managed to take the dumb executive mandate of 'give rapunzel back her magic hair that she hates' and turn it into a good idea to build a longform fantasy mystery on

I like that despite Varian in the pilot having a terrifying science machine, Rapunzel is in no way perturbed by it, in fact no matter how uncomfortable the machine itself is through it's tests, she's completely fine with it because she wants to know. Even when Eugene's trying to get her out of it she's like "Dude, we only have 35 more tests, I'm going to see this through." Most of those episodes have the characters immediately regret taking on the task, but Rapunzel completely accepts every aspect of it and is willing to trust Varian's judgement.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The transformers one trailer is terrible but the movie behind it looks like an excellent all ages sort of movie.

I mentioned it elsewhere but people really need to remember that the original transformers series was absolutely ridiculous a lot of the time, even ignoring the constant horrible animation and scale errors:

quote:

I haven't watched any of G1 since I was a kid, but that poo poo was g-o-o-f-y. like, I saw this shitpost animation recently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB0BlIA-9y0&hd=1&t=32s

and was like "heh that's a pretty funny little animation cobbling together an altercation with a bunch of decepticons's voice lines" but then saw the original and no that's a reanimated version of one single scene of the decepticons slapfighting in the middle of a flooded stadium while the autobots watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiRkwPYgt8

G1 transformers was silly as poo poo

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That movie to me looks pretty bad, at least for my taste, what got me there is just the style of humor and joke delivery etc shown. It's much like the style you'd see in other modern kids movies, which I guess just isn't my thing. Transformers: The Movie (1986) is something I've watched with friends a zillion times though, masterpiece. I guess what I don't like is the homegenous and I guess to me cynical nature of how made by committee stuff like this new movie feels. The joke interactions they put in these trailers in tone and vibe are pretty interchangeable etc. I don't think an auteur or a team on fire put this movie together is what I'm saying. Granted maybe making some masterpiece stuff out of a toy commercial was an accident that is tough to repeat.

But then again, X-Men '97 is incredible right now, and that's a darn good new go at a classic toon/comic.

Not to say there aren't any good modern kids movies, I do like some Pixar and stuff. And I like plenty of anime stuff but that's another style and vibe for sure. And like I'm saying, as far as something both kids and adults could enjoy, X-Men '97 is much more up my alley than this Transformers thing for example.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Apr 20, 2024

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I genuinely think the trailer is making TF:ONE look worse than the movie probably actually is, it's just a really bad trailer overall

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I disagree, because the thing is I'm good at reading these things, but it's all personal. For example everyone on SA thought Doom (the 2016 game ) looked bad from its trailers, but I was able to sort of use my imagination on the tidbits we saw combined with what devs said etc and I thought hey this game is likely gonna be good. I get the art of the trailer. This movie looks bad because the lines and moments in the trailer are in the movie, and therefore I do not want to watch the movie.

I get the gist of what you're saying, but we're both reading the same tea leaves, so a positive and negative reaction are both cool, they gave us some samples so we could form some takes and see it or not etc. I say they blew it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Movie trailers have been dire as a rule for a long while now and triply so for movies even remotely aimed at kids, which seem to be actively as stupid and juvenile as possible and overuse one-off jokes.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Ok, my take is swept away by the science of trailers, oh well. I liked having a take, felt like I was making sense of this topsy turvy world.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Here’s my take: it’s poo poo from a diseased rear end and needs to be put down

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I keep saying it - only give advertisers the first half hour of a movie. ANY movie. If you can't sell the movie on the setup alone, you are a lovely advertiser and shouldn't be doing this job. The whole point of the setup is to get the audience invested enough to stick around for the payoffs, so if you show the payoffs in the trailer, people will not need to see the movie at all.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The point is to tell the audience everything that happens so they will watch it because they are stupid and don’t want to be mislead even if it would preserve the experience

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also kiimo works on trailers for films, if you ask him stuff in the trailer thread he could probably give you a more complete less cynical answer lol

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

A friend of mine is annoyed at me because they can't unsee a particular trailer cliche where someone gets hurt or about to say something that might be dirty and then cutting to someone gasping/cringing from a completely unrelated scene - because once you realize that's a thing, every single instance in a trailer is super obvious.

(The worse one from that Money Scam Oz movie where the owl seem to be saying he has a pinecones up his rear end in a daylight scene, then cuts to the doll gasping in a nighttime scene)

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Bad trailer joke editing is there to keep parents and kids from being intimidated by the product before they see it. The movie itself may very well be fine but it's a marketing tool. If the dog doesn't whine and cover their eyes in embarrassment to an unrelated gag, then parents won't know the movie is family friendly.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Elemental was probably the best recent example of a trailer convincing everyone that a movie was going to be much worse than it actually was.

I hope that someone somewhere has attempted to learn from that but since the movie eventually ending up doing ok (but it took forever) maybe they won't

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and you have Ruby Gilman basically spoil the twist in it's trailers - and again, the movie is "Your xenophobic, racist grandma is right" and "Beware, pretty girls are EVIIIIIIIIIL"

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Was just reminded, Ralph Breaks the Internet, while terrible, had a pretty great joke at the end about how the rabbit eating pancakes sequence from the trailer wasn't in the movie

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The most annoying part is that many movies have great early jokes that would be great for the trailer without giving away the ending, like in Storks for example, they could get the same idea without showing the glass labyrinth in the trailer by simply showing the joke that introduces the idea, aka - "Do you know why I made my office entirely out of glass even though birds can't see glass?" "No, why?" "*bird slams into window* Power move."

It's a short, snappy joke that makes the point and is genuinely funny, and has a built in punchline. The glass labyrinth isn't the punchline to that idea, it's a DEVELOPMENT of the idea, an extrapolation based off of an earlier joke that is then turned against the protagonist.

I know this is just a personal irrational thing though as I'm the only one who'd put this much thought into the narrative flow of the Storks movie.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Storks is good

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Storks is good

Yeah, I like how they ground the Wolfpacks joke by having them try a form that they can't handle, it gives the joke a structure/internal consistency that helps sell it. They are ridiculous, but they have an internal logic.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, trailers can ruin some really good jokes because by the time you see the actual movie, you seen that joke in the trailer at least 50 times.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
And sometimes you get the reverse where the trailer's funnier than what they actually used, like in one of the second POTC movie's trailers. Will refuses to set sail without Jack, but then sees Jack being chased by an angry mob and in the trailer yells 'Never mind let's go!' in the same tone as his insistence they don't leave without him, which was apparently from an outtake. In the movie, he has the much more timid line read '... Time to go.' which was way less funny.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Part time.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
And sometimes the opposite happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp_WCl3Ah_A&t=67s

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Wow, they sure went to a lot of trouble to not give away what the Enterprise-E was going to look like, despite the fact that most of the audience saw the -D get trashed at the end of the previous film

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There's even that weird shot of Voyager attacking the cube that only exists in that trailer for some reason, it's not even reused footage like the other stuff.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Amazing Digital Circus has a popup store in Japan.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C6L0BdrPPX8/?igsh=enR4ZWV5dm51NTdn

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Good news for the upcoming Mutant Mayhem series and eventual sequel:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/studio-profit-report-nbcu-sony-disney-warner-1235880212/

The Knuckles miniseries that takes place between the Sonic 2 and 3 movies just dropped on Paramount Plus today as well

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/vproceart/status/1781854966027579889

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAHhPCL9zt8

Sounds like AI in filmmaking is going well.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol fantastic. I have been seeing this with a friend of mine who is not artistic at all but has been going nuts with AI art, trying for literally months to refine and perfect this one image he's been iterating on over and over and over and over. It is simply not possible to "refine" AI art, not in the way we would naturally assume. You can't just use AI to get "in the ballpark" and then touch up the fine details. All you can do, if you're an AI prompter, is tweak the prompts and try again, starting again from scratch, and the AI has no idea of context or history or what you're actually trying to accomplish, what you liked of the previous thing and what you want changed, and to what. You're just tossing dice and hoping it just magically turns up the thing the client wants. Like the random number generator at Bender's execution. Oh hey! Perfect!

It's hilarious that the "artists" in that story don't have the self-awareness to understand that there is any area where their e-ticket gold-rush genie lamp falls flat on its face and they themselves have nothing to bring to the table to make up for it

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Data Graham posted:

You can't just use AI to get "in the ballpark" and then touch up the fine details.

this is a pretty dumb thing to say when artists do exactly this. you know, by generating a picture and then. touching up the details.

i get that you're trying to say 'image generators are not built to iterate on a set of images they generate unless you tell them to, and you risk over-training them into being useless', but try saying something like that rather than something obviously false

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

OK well by "you" I meant "someone whose only skill is AI prompting"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Yeah if you're an actual artist you can make an ai image and then slap it into photoshop and do a drawover of the parts that suck poo poo but if you're an idiot hack fraud with no talent there's nothing you can but press the AI diarrhea button over and over praying one of the turds it farts out will be acceptably composed enough to pass off as real art made by someone who isn't an inept moron.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
lol who hires prompters who can’t also paint or have a paint team as well. Even an automated assembly line needs people to service the robots etc etc

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Shaocaholica posted:

lol who hires prompters who can’t also paint or have a paint team as well. Even an automated assembly line needs people to service the robots etc etc

A boss who thinks AI will let them fire all the expensive artists.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah - tools are no substitute for training, skill, and knowledge.

Most of the AI jockeys have NO art experience and don't even know how useful it is.

What's really funny is you're seeing some of the Executives starting to back off on the AI train, as it turns out AI is *poo poo* at writing and visual renders, but it's really good at delegating tasks - you know, stuff managers do.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 27, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Anything AI can meaningfully replace was never actual work in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm just gonna throw out that it's waaaaay loving harder and much more time consuming to tweak a flat image. Am I correct in assuming AI doesn't use layers?