Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
the best scooby doo was venture brothers

i still enjoy using scooby doo where are you episodes as background noise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Robindaybird posted:

that series is here Daphne being loaded got started.

I think Shaggy was the only one shown to have a normal middle-class house - Freddie's dad runs the equivalent of the Weekly World News, Velma's family is involved with NASA, the Doos have an extremely gaudy jewelled collar, and Daphne's so loaded that she's subscribed to a "Room of the Month" club

I remember some of the older series and the Boo Brothers movie imply that Shaggy was old money rich with an uncle of his owning a huge colonial house in one of the Harlem Globetrotters episodes.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yeah, though I think that got quietly dropped given Beauregard was a confederate general

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Larryb posted:

The Shaggy analogue being voiced by Patton Oswolt was also an inspired choice (as was the Scooby analogue being a highly intelligent evil bird)

Also is that the only series where we ever met the gang’s families?

It was Lewis Black who voiced Mr.E/Ricky Owen’s, not Patton.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

It was Lewis Black who voiced Mr.E/Ricky Owen’s, not Patton.

Huh you're right, nevermind then

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also we’re unfortunately getting more Velma later this year:

https://scoobysnax1.weebly.com/blog/a-velma-halloween-special-is-coming-in-2024

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

So Velma was scheduled to have two seasons,minimum, no matter what?

I wonder how many seasons hbo contracted for Velma.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

20ish episode orders are a common practice. Back in the day that would be one season. These days it's often spaced out to two, but they still order the same amount of episodes at the start.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 28, 2024

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MikeJF posted:

20ish episode orders are a common practice. Back in the day that would be one season. These days it's often spaced out to two, but they still order the same amount of episodes at the start.

Yeah pretty much. I think the only notable deviation from this bulk order practice was the first season of Invincible, which essentially had a 16 x 20 minute order anyway, just in an 8 x 40 format.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Mindy Kaling must really have high up nepo baby credentials, though being a pickme minority probably helps.

There's not gonna be legs from hatewatching, all I hear is the show is excruciatingly tedious once the bile fascination wears off.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I thought the Scrappy villain twist was pretty funny when I was in 8th grade. 22 years ago.

:smith:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Scrappy was done in by executive meddling originally - according to an interview I read with his creator he was envisioned as actually being kind of effective, but he was rewritten behind his back because executives were concerned that his behaviour was imitable, plus the old cartoon rule of "If a nail sticks out a little, hammer it back in, no individuality allowed!"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

YggiDee posted:

why has everyone decided that the hatewatchers made Velma happen vs every other time a bad show gets more seasons. many more people just like bad shows

I think it's just the belief that if everybody (read: all the people that bitch about it online) hates it yet it continues to exist, that people must be hate watching it, because how could anyone like a bad show? It's just flawed echo chamber thinking.

...Though there a grain of truth there because otherwise how are people making so many long-rear end youtube videos about why it's so bad? (beyond the ones that immediately made them when the trailer/character designs dropped because THE drat WOKES ARE CHANGING THINGS! :bahgawd:). A lot of dumbasses self-reporting to be hatewatching when they complain about it getting renewed even though, as others have already mentioned, it was probably approved as 2 seasons from the jump.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Scrappy was done in by executive meddling originally - according to an interview I read with his creator he was envisioned as actually being kind of effective, but he was rewritten behind his back because executives were concerned that his behaviour was imitable, plus the old cartoon rule of "If a nail sticks out a little, hammer it back in, no individuality allowed!"

Yeah, from what I’ve read, Scrappy was actually effective in saving the Scooby franchise as it was experiencing a big slump in viewers.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Come to think of it, Mystery Inc is the only Scooby show I've ever watched all the way through/enjoyed (And that was fairly recently too, I caught a few episodes of the older stuff as a kid and saw some of the movies but was never really a big fan). Are any of the other shows worth checking out?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, this is going to be a thing I guess (first trailer for the “live action” Lion King prequel):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=MjQG-a7d41Q

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 29, 2024

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Annnnd of course LMM is doing the songs. Man, when they signed the deal to get Hamilton on Disney+ he must have gotten some crazy rear end "I will now be the music guy" clause in there. Or Disney has him chained to a desk, I can't figure out who's in power.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
After Wish, I too would be terrified of breaking my dark blood contract with him.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On the one hand it's at least an original story this time, on the other it's in the exact same style as the previous one so get ready for more emotionless CG animals

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's hardly surprising for a company as famously risk-averse as Disney. They find something that works, they're gonna milk it until it's a desiccated corpse.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Das Boo posted:

After Wish, I too would be terrified of breaking my dark blood contract with him.

Seriously, the wish soundtrack is so sad. My younger one asked to listen to it yesterday even though he hasn't seen the movie, just to see how it was. It's incredible how boring and forgettable every song is. It especially struck me with "This is the Thanks I Get," what an absolute dud of a villain song. We listened to "Be Prepared" immediately after just to remember how good Disney once was.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

the singers tried, but the lyrics don't scan, have some extremely basic grammar errors that doesn't feel intentional, lot of blunt 'I feel this' and less poetical language, it basically feels like someone gave ChatGPT a few prompts and called it a day.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

All of Wish feels kind of soulless and devoid of real effort honestly, I’m not sure if there was some trouble behind the scenes or what

So is the Lion King prequel the next Disney film up on the block then or do they have something else planned?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think Inside Out 2 comes out first. June?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not sure how credible this is but apparently a Kingdom Hearts movie is rumored to be in the works too:

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/kingdom-hearts-sora-movie-disney/

A pitch pilot animatic for the scrapped cartoon series was also uploaded a few years ago by the director of the project:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=n_23o8Dj524

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 29, 2024

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

Not sure how credible this is but apparently a Kingdom Hearts movie is rumored to be in the works too:

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/kingdom-hearts-sora-movie-disney/

A pitch pilot animatic for the scrapped cartoon series was also uploaded a few years ago by the director of the project:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=n_23o8Dj524

My first thought is "no way" because it'd be a pain to get Square Enix on board for cameos but then as I understand it (haven't played it personally) KH3 basically cut out all the Final Fantasy characters so it's purely Disney stuff (and the jointly owned OCs from the KH series).

At best I could see them doing like an anime OVA for promo/tie-in whenever the next game's gonna come out. A movie as in like a full-rear end feature film would be nuts and I feel comfortable saying there's only barely a chance it'll happen. But who knows, dumber things have been greenlit especially in the age of streaming.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 29, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, the planned cartoon never got off the ground so I’m not convinced a full fledged movie will either. But we’ll see how it goes I guess

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

TwoPair posted:

My first thought is "no way" because it'd be a pain to get Square Enix on board for cameos but then as I understand it (haven't played it personally) KH3 basically cut out all the Final Fantasy characters so it's purely Disney stuff (and the jointly owned OCs from the KH series).

At best I could see them doing like an anime OVA for promo/tie-in whenever the next game's gonna come out. A movie as in like a full-rear end feature film would be nuts and I feel comfortable saying there's only barely a chance it'll happen. But who knows, dumber things have been greenlit especially in the age of streaming.

Sora isn't jointly owned. Every single character created for Kingdom Hearts is the full intellectual property of Disney. Square-Enix is just the development house. Disney could walk away from square tomorrow and make their own Kingdom Hearts game fully in house or contract it off to Ubisoft. You'd have to change a lot of spell names and other things that are trademarked from final fantasy and it would burn countless bridges for reissues but they could make a Sora game all on their own.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In further disappointing news Scooby Doo is getting a live action Netflix series…written by the people that handled the Cowboy Bebop adaptation (unless of course they have any better writing credits to their name I’m not aware of):

https://deadline.com/2024/04/scooby-doo-live-action-series-netflix-greg-berlanti-josh-appelbaum-scott-rosenberg-1235898662/

Edit: They also wrote Con Air, Gone in 60 Seconds, the fourth Mission Impossible movie, the Megan Fox TMNTs, and The Rock's Jumanji movies

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 29, 2024

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Larryb posted:

All of Wish feels kind of soulless and devoid of real effort honestly, I’m not sure if there was some trouble behind the scenes or what

So is the Lion King prequel the next Disney film up on the block then or do they have something else planned?

They're releasing the new Moana that they're piecing together from the parts of a cancelled Moana Disney+ show the same day as Wicked.

Though I fully expect that gets rescheduled at some point.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Larryb posted:

Come to think of it, Mystery Inc is the only Scooby show I've ever watched all the way through/enjoyed (And that was fairly recently too, I caught a few episodes of the older stuff as a kid and saw some of the movies but was never really a big fan). Are any of the other shows worth checking out?

Mystery Inc is the cream of the crop, so just know that all of the other shows are aimed at a younger demographic and are also a step down in quality. The first season of Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! is the second best of the bunch, with some terrific designs and artwork, a great tone that is fun but doesn't get too campy, a deep earnestness, straightforward stories, and an ideal amount of goofy antics. The second season gets goofier and makes some creative changes for the worse, and what's marketed as the third season is actually a revival from almost a decade later that doubles down on those problems and is full-on 70s camp. The New Scooby-Doo Movies are a lot of fun, much more in line with season 1/2 of Where Are You, but the longer format means they really drag and they definitely step over into full camp at times. The recent show Scooby-Doo and Guess Who? tries and largely succeeds at capturing the charm of the New Scooby-Doo Movies, and has a quaint nostalgic feel to it. The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo and What's New, Scooby-Doo? have a lot of fans but I never gave either much of a chance. Everything else can more or less be annoyed.

The animated movies are a total mixed bag and you probably won't find too many people going to bat for them beyond recommending them as background noise. Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island seems to generally be a fan favorite, though, and Scooby-Doo! & Batman: The Brave and the Bold is a blast.

Larryb posted:

In further disappointing news Scooby Doo is getting a live action Netflix series…written by the people that handled the Cowboy Bebop adaptation (unless of course they have any better writing credits to their name I’m not aware of):

https://deadline.com/2024/04/scooby-doo-live-action-series-netflix-greg-berlanti-josh-appelbaum-scott-rosenberg-1235898662/

Edit: They also wrote Con Air, Gone in 60 Seconds, the fourth Mission Impossible movie, the Megan Fox TMNTs, and The Rock's Jumanji movies

Berlanti certainly wouldn't be my first choice, but he doesn't seem like a bad fit for a live-action version—I didn't watch it, but that Dead Boy Detectives show he produced seemed like he could handle it well based on the preview. My vote would have gone to the Riverdale folks. As off the rails as it went, it still always felt like it was an honest-to-god love letter to Archie Comics.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, as I understand it Mystery Inc is the only one that successfully managed to do a story driven show (13 Ghosts and Velma also sort of did this too as I’ve heard but the word “successfully” is key here). Everything else is entirely episodic correct?

Also I thought Berlanti worked on Riverdale as well?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, everything else follows the mystery-of-the-week format. The 13 Ghosts and Zombie Island movies both have direct sequels, though.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

though the 13 ghosts sequel is weird in that it explicitly tries to claim none of it was real, despite being in ostensibly in the same continuity as Zombie Island and Witch's ghost.

However it actually made Flimflam likeable.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Robindaybird posted:

the singers tried, but the lyrics don't scan, have some extremely basic grammar errors that doesn't feel intentional, lot of blunt 'I feel this' and less poetical language, it basically feels like someone gave ChatGPT a few prompts and called it a day.

people make the LLM comparison a lot (not to be confused with the LMM comparison) but it's actually worse: they got pop song writers and focus tested the music into oblivion trying to get chart toppers, instead of writing musical music, for their musical movie

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ungulateman posted:

people make the LLM comparison a lot (not to be confused with the LMM comparison) but it's actually worse: they got pop song writers and focus tested the music into oblivion trying to get chart toppers, instead of writing musical music, for their musical movie

I really get the vibe that Disney actively hates and tries to bypass everything that people actually like about their movies, and a lot of their success these days is accidental or based on inertia. Same as most major companies these days.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

ungulateman posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case even for their live action remakes. I think of the weird poo poo that you got in Beauty and the Beast and say to myself "Menken doesn't usually miss, so what the gently caress happened here?" and corporate shenanigans makes a lot of sense

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
also the main song "This Wish" was written before the script, and which they used to base the story off of

https://variety.com/2023/artisans/awards/julia-michaels-wrote-wish-theme-song-before-script-existed-1235820323/

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I think if Mufasa and a couple of the other already greenlit Disney remakes do well, we'll see more of them. But Disney has a new head of live action and when new executives come in they usually like to kill the babies of the former exec, and the former exec was the guy who shepherded through all these live action remakes. So if one of these flops I could see the exec taking that as a chance to make his own impression at the company. The future of the live action remakes are already on thin ice after Peter Pan and Wendy and Pinnochio being flops, and Little Mermaid making half of Lion King's gross.

My dream scenario is they stop with the remakes and greenlight a bunch of original fantasy stories that are also vfx heavy but not so beholden to previous stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Ccs posted:

I think if Mufasa and a couple of the other already greenlit Disney remakes do well, we'll see more of them. But Disney has a new head of live action and when new executives come in they usually like to kill the babies of the former exec, and the former exec was the guy who shepherded through all these live action remakes. So if one of these flops I could see the exec taking that as a chance to make his own impression at the company. The future of the live action remakes are already on thin ice after Peter Pan and Wendy and Pinnochio being flops, and Little Mermaid making half of Lion King's gross.

My dream scenario is they stop with the remakes and greenlight a bunch of original fantasy stories that are also vfx heavy but not so beholden to previous stories.

I was sure heads would roll after the colossal Indiana Jones flop, but it seems nothing is going to come of that, so if DIsney hasn't done anything about their movie division yet I fear it'll never happen.