Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Jeff Bridges confirmed for Tron 3:

https://twitter.com/DisneyStudios/status/1785006550941151338

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Ccs posted:

My dream scenario is they stop with the remakes and greenlight a bunch of original fantasy stories that are also vfx heavy but not so beholden to previous stories.

My gut says we're going to see some significant bombs or underperformers among the October/November/December blockbusters. Moana 2 is absolutely going to get slaughtered by Wicked and The Prequel King might as well. Audiences are getting wise to Sony's Spidermanless Spiderman game and are going to stay away from Kraven. Joker and Venom might turn out to be novelties that audiences were only happy to take to a billion-ish once. And people haven't showed up for Ridley Scott for a while.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

The real test will be when James Cameron finally has an underperforming film (Dark Fate doesn't count)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Megera posted:

also the main song "This Wish" was written before the script, and which they used to base the story off of

https://variety.com/2023/artisans/awards/julia-michaels-wrote-wish-theme-song-before-script-existed-1235820323/

ah yes, that makes total sense :psyduck:

High Warlord Zog posted:

My gut says we're going to see some significant bombs or underperformers among the October/November/December blockbusters. Moana 2 is absolutely going to get slaughtered by Wicked and The Prequel King might as well. Audiences are getting wise to Sony's Spidermanless Spiderman game and are going to stay away from Kraven. Joker and Venom might turn out to be novelties that audiences were only happy to take to a billion-ish once. And people haven't showed up for Ridley Scott for a while.

Nah, unless Moana 2 just sucks complete poo poo it'll make bank. And unfortunately I think Prequel King's gonna do just fine. Remember, even though most people agreed it was unnecessary and a lot said it was the inferior version, Live-Action Lion King was the #2 movie of 2019 (only losing to Avengers Endgame) which shows that people still payed up for it, meaning they'll probably do it a second time (plus never underestimate the market power of kids dragging their parents to a talking animal movie). Kraven probably will crap the bed (though I predict not as bad as Madame Web). I think the only one in real risk of flopping (well, compared to expectations) of that lot is Joker 2 Electric Boogaloo because yeah I think that Joker might have been a weird change up that only works once.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and I think there's honestly a real Joker fatigue among DC fans.

Karven will poo poo the bed, it won't be Mobius bad, but Kraven really wasn't that popular.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Venom at least knows how dumb it is and has fun with it so those movies are pretty entertaining.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Venom at least knows how dumb it is and has fun with it so those movies are pretty entertaining.

Venom mostly works because Tom Hardy plays both main characters as off-beat as possible.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The MSJ posted:

Venom mostly works because Tom Hardy plays both main characters as off-beat as possible.

Yeah, funny thing it's one of those bits where I think they squared the circle on having a compelling Eddie and Venom as solo (so to speak) characters by adding in personality the original didn't really have, similar to Spider-verse finally giving Miles Morales a personality. (By necessity too given MCU Peter Parker had pinched a lot of traits from him, including the magnet school and asian roommate lol) Kinda playing up the more adult side of loveable loser with a trainwreck life Peter Parker, people were making jokes about Eddie being Miles' other broke rear end hobo spider-uncle (potentially canon!). Also playing up on why an alien shapeshifting parasite oddly bonds well with a random rear end human, with actually enjoying being part of a community and civilization, even with its flaws, as a ravening horde isn't emotionally fulfilling.

I think that's the part they miss, that the spinoffs work when they actually put in the work to make the characters interesting and compelling protagonists in their own right, which they certainly are not necessarily by default. I'm sure some of the writers and actors try, but it's actually a hard thing to pull off.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Also venom has the homoeroticism going on

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Nah, unless Moana 2 just sucks complete poo poo it'll make bank.

Up against Wicked it's probably going to have a rough first week. And I see it doing terrribly if it's crap or simply average and the word of mouth isn't there to give it legs. I wouldn't be suprised if they shift the opening date.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DoctorWhat posted:

Also venom has the homoeroticism going on

That's of course also a big plus.

The whole theme of unlikely friendships, relationships being complicated between grown-ups and requiring active effort to make them work, and finding things in common with beings otherwise very different from yourself, is also really fun. Come to think of it, Carnage's whole deal is a bit of a mirror of Eddy's, being at first all on the same hosed up page but inevitably clashing over base priorities the symbiote isn't willing to look past primal instinct for.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Mars Express is really good. Owes a lot to a lot of things (I caught shout outs to Metal Gear Solid 4, Minority Report and there's possibly a gag about Westworld's second season) but the thing it's most aggressively channelling is Ghost In The Shell. Not just in content, but the way it approaches violence, exposition, etc. is very similar. I like that it, it keeps it very fast paced and does a lot to suggest a lot of breadth and depth to the setting.

There's some smart writing throughout, though I don't super want to get into what I liked about it here. Essentially though, you're dealing with an inverted version of the robot cop/augmented partner dynamic from GITS, so there's more commentary on the frailty of human existence. Including, what i suspect, will be a couple of controversial character decisions. I think they're thoughtfully deployed though.

The plot itself isn't going to set the world on fire, but it's smarter about its very obvious seeming narrative. (big spoiler) The human figure behind the crisis being revealed to be covering up for a bungled tech filmflam operation, and ultimately answerable to a dispassionate board who sees him as expendable, is a cute way of capping the ideas of humanity / inhumanity that they've been playing with throughout.

The character animation is lovely, and the action is cleverly staged, but it doesn't really have the budget it could have wanted. This mostly turns up in the crowd scenes, or the strange absence of them in parts where it would make sense for them to feature. It doesn't actually harm the film though, and there's plenty of animation for the actually important parts of the film (the characters talking).

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I admit to some perplexity as to what role snow plays in the TLK setting

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Parts of it is probably on a mountain.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
YOU DON'T

GET TO BE

LION KING

WITHOUT MAKING

A FEW

LION ENEMIES

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The MSJ posted:

Parts of it is probably on a mountain.

Yes that's the presumption but even on Kilimanjaro you don't get snow until like 18k feet up, not your usual lion habitat.

My reaction was "if he escapes from a zoo I swear to god"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Data Graham posted:

Yes that's the presumption but even on Kilimanjaro you don't get snow until like 18k feet up, not your usual lion habitat.

My reaction was "if he escapes from a zoo I swear to god"

Well it wouldn't be an epic adventure if he doesn't climb a mountain.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Data Graham posted:

I admit to some perplexity as to what role snow plays in the TLK setting
That's not snow, it's a foam party

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
we are finally gonna get to see on screen and in live action why garbage wanted to kill his family

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So I finally finished The Amazing World of Gumball last night. I started it last year or further back, as something to watch with my (now) three year old. I was desperate for something to watch for my kid that didn’t feel like the normal kid cartoon garbage, and looked at what Hulu had in the kids section.

The show is a loving treat. Eventually my daughter stopped watching it in the fourth season, and I watched the last two seasons by myself. That’s more than I can say for Bluey (Bluey is amazing too, but when my daughter no longer wants to watch it, I’m not watching that one by myself).

Now I join the other fans of the show waiting for a movie or sequel series to happen.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8Ihhvbr2aA

MAWS S2 starts next month

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

(Mufasa falling to his death)

(freeze frame)

Yeah! That's me! You're probably wondering how I got here.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nikumatic posted:

we are finally gonna get to see on screen and in live action why garbage wanted to kill his family

The plot summaries released so far imply that Scar and Mufasa aren't actually even brothers, Mufasa was an orphan and rescued by Scar's family.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 30, 2024

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
"Your name is Richard? Well, we already have a Richard. So we have two options. He can start going by 'Old Richard Who We Hate' or 'Complete Garbage.'"

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

You'll learn how Mufasa got his name from an Animal immigration officer who mistook him for a speedy cow.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

MikeJF posted:

The plot summaries released so far imply that Scar and Mufasa aren't actually even brothers, Mufasa was an orphan and rescued by Scar's family.

So Scar is actually the rightful ruler of Pride Rock. :kstare:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Using the prequel to tell an american fairy tale of bootstraps and meritocratic rise is cute, but it falls apart a bit when you consider the boostrapper then leaves the kingdom to his offspring. That's the biggest conundrum of these remakes. They try to mash together modern values and antiquated (or "universal Jungian archetypes" as a frothing Peterson would say) and go "look! we made it better!"

Not that they haven't always been doing that to an extent. Such as the original disney versions of movies removing much of the violence and just sort of random happenstances that occur in the Grimm versions (for example Snow White in the Grimm version waking up because one of the Prince's servants trips and loses his balance, which causes the piece of poisoned apple to dislodge from her throat.)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Having read about what some of the original stories were like I can only surmise that the Grimm brothers were rather disturbed individuals in general

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Ccs posted:

Using the prequel to tell an american fairy tale of bootstraps and meritocratic rise is cute, but it falls apart a bit when you consider the boostrapper then leaves the kingdom to his offspring. That's the biggest conundrum of these remakes. They try to mash together modern values and antiquated (or "universal Jungian archetypes" as a frothing Peterson would say) and go "look! we made it better!"

Not that they haven't always been doing that to an extent. Such as the original disney versions of movies removing much of the violence and just sort of random happenstances that occur in the Grimm versions (for example Snow White in the Grimm version waking up because one of the Prince's servants trips and loses his balance, which causes the piece of poisoned apple to dislodge from her throat.)
she could only be awoken by love's first kiss the heimlich maneuver?

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Larryb posted:

Having read about what some of the original stories were like I can only surmise that the Grimm brothers were rather disturbed individuals in general

They were folklorists who were collecting and compiling stories passed down from oral tradition. The stories did often get changed in transcription, but that’s because many of them had actually been written down before already

can’t put it all on them

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ccs posted:

It's like they never heard of Marcus Aurelius...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

World Famous W posted:

she could only be awoken by love's first kiss the heimlich maneuver?

It was essentially an accident. As I understand it in the original version the prince basically saw a comatose woman (or possibly child, I forget how old Snow White was supposed to be) and decided to kidnap her (but since they inadvertently saved her in the process everything was fine actually)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 1, 2024

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'd watch a movie about the prince cracking under the weight of what he did. Gaslight meets The Machinist.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

There’s also an early version of Sleeping Beauty where the prince basically rapes her in her sleep and she wakes up carrying his child. Old fairytales are kind of hosed up and it’s actually a good thing most of them have been sanitized over time

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Larryb posted:

There’s also an early version of Sleeping Beauty where the prince basically rapes her in her sleep and she wakes up carrying his child. Old fairytales are kind of hosed up and it’s actually a good thing most of them have been sanitized over time

This. I think the French version of Cinderella is about the only one you can tell verbatim as it's entirely tame. Grimm's one not so much.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

the Sleeping Beauty ("Talia, Sun and Moon") is even more hosed up.

She woke up because she gave birth, and one of her children accidentally suckled out the splinter that put her in the sleep, then when the King finds and takes her back, the king's mother took an instant dislike to Talia and her children and decide to try to eat them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Larryb posted:

My understanding is that that's from the Giambattista Basile versions of the tale, which are deliberately dark and melancholy, and probably not part of the more common folklore version before that.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Dont make me get true hercules and hunchback in here

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The world is not ready for a cheery "BLESS MY SOUL, HERC IS ON A ROLL" while he brutally murders his family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

doomrider7 posted:

This. I think the French version of Cinderella is about the only one you can tell verbatim as it's entirely tame. Grimm's one not so much.

I think the darkest thing about that one was one of the stepsisters cutting part of her foot off in order to fit into the slipper