Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

DoctorWhat posted:

Megamind has an extremely rabid fan base and not even like a horny type of fan base. There are people for whom Megamind is an extremely formative like filmmaking and storytelling experience who absolutely despise the new film. And they're loud.

the potent mixture of superhero media, kids' media and Being Actually Pretty Good

(see also the miraculous ladybug fandom)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

General Dog posted:

How did Megamind 2 manage to accomplish this? Sight unseen I have no doubt that it's a cheap, profoundly worthless movie, but it seems like the floor for kids' animated movies is usually about 40% on RT.

It's only on Peacock so probably nobody watched it except for fans of the original.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

DoctorWhat posted:

Megamind has an extremely rabid fan base and not even like a horny type of fan base. There are people for whom Megamind is an extremely formative like filmmaking and storytelling experience who absolutely despise the new film. And they're loud.

Oh, so the response is as if they made a bad, cheap sequel to a good movie?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
A bad cheap sequel to a good movie that only diehard fans of the movie bothered to watch over a decade later

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

They couldn’t make it Mayan Batman and incorporate Camazotz?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DoctorWhat posted:

A bad cheap sequel to a good movie that only diehard fans of the movie bothered to watch over a decade later

Yeah, that sounds right. Megamind has some legit interesting aspects to certain kinda nerds with its approach to the whole superhero thing, to everyone else it was an okay but (kinda deliberately) generic superhero movie that the sequel's target audience won't even remember. So it pisses off the only people who would care enough to leave reviews.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The concept of a Twilight animated series amuses me and intrigues me. Who's the target audience for something like this? Is there still a diehard Twilight fanbase? It was certainly a phenomenon in its own right, one maligned perhaps more than it strictly deserved (it deserved to be maligned a bit, to be perfectly clear), but what exactly can they do with it now?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

paradoxGentleman posted:

The concept of a Twilight animated series amuses me and intrigues me. Who's the target audience for something like this? Is there still a diehard Twilight fanbase? It was certainly a phenomenon in its own right, one maligned perhaps more than it strictly deserved (it deserved to be maligned a bit, to be perfectly clear), but what exactly can they do with it now?

An animated romantic fantasy series involving attractive young men who sparkle, you say?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

An animated series featuring "twilight" "sparkle" you say

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
https://twitter.com/zackfox/status/1765965621228102094

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

For context this is referring to the recent passing of Akira Toriyama

https://twitter.com/DB_official_en/status/1765935471971213816

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 8, 2024

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Unsurprisingly they are making a Super Mario Bros 2.

They just started and planning to release in USA on April 3rd 2026.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Electric Phantasm posted:

Unsurprisingly they are making a Super Mario Bros 2.

They just started and planning to release in USA on April 3rd 2026.

It's actually a Doki Doki Panic movie being redubbed for Western markets.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Boooo burn the oscars down. That should have been Across the Spiderverse’s Oscar.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

The_Doctor posted:

Boooo burn the oscars down. That should have been Across the Spiderverse’s Oscar.

Literally any other choice would have made me happy in that category. Even if I was rooting for Nimona.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I would have given the Oscar to Spiderverse, but I can't get angry about Heron getting it. It was a great movie, and Ghibli deserves more Oscars.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Heron was mid as hell IMO but still deserves it more than Nimona. No movie with as many catchphrases as Nimona deserves an Oscar

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's honestly a very strong category this year, with Elemental being the weakest entry.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oh I actually got kind of emotional reading this. That's a REALLY good sounding movie.

doomrider7 posted:

gently caress You Zaslav.

Agreed.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Oh I actually got kind of emotional reading this. That's a REALLY good sounding movie.

Agreed.

I posted this on another forum, but if I was a share holder I'd have demanded his head on a pike for this gently caress-up. Movie sounds amazing and the release window would put it right on time for the holidays where there was little to no competition. If it had released on schedule it would've cleaned house hard.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Amazing World of Gumball movie is apparently still happening:

https://thedirect.com/article/amazing-world-of-gumball-movie-2024-release-official

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 11, 2024

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
https://x.com/americanwombat/status/1768362843697721423?s=46&t=o0da3S1HhEfTruH8wgrGEA

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Showrunner friend told me 75% of our industry is currently unemployed.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Woof. Sorry to hear but I'm simultaneously not surprised between the execs constantly trying to cut costs and use AI to put everyone out of work

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m sure it’s all record profits too. This country needs a revolution.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Das Boo posted:

Showrunner friend told me 75% of our industry is currently unemployed.
I'm sure it's bad, and you'd probably know better than me, but that's a statistic I find it hard to take on face value without data

Sounds like somebody's back-of-a-napkin estimate. Who would even be responsible for tracking such a thing? If this is being tracked this granularly, by someone, how recently did it change and how quickly?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

This outsourcing the actual production to either low cost countries or countries with tons of subsidies has been happening for decades with vfx. It just took longer to happen with feature animation because the cg in those movies were usually made by the company distributing them, and therefore didn't feel the financial need right away to go abroad, instead preferring to have more input over the final product.

But Canada has built up a strong talent base over the last 20 years, mainly from imported talent from the US and France, so it makes sense to send the work there. It sucks for the dreamworks workers that have families and will find it difficult to actually fully immigrate to Canada, as once you pass 35 it becomes a lot more challenging to get Permanent Residency. But working in Canada as an artist is way better. The cities are easier to get around without a car, there's way more studios within a short distance from one another inside the Vancouver and Montreal areas, so if one place downsizes you can just go to the next without relocating. Whereas in the US if you were working at Pixar and then got a job at Dreamworks, you'd have to move because they're 5 hours away. And there's a good mix between games, feature animation, vfx and tv animation all within each city. So aside from right now, when every single one of those industries is in the pits, it can be a much more stable place to survive.

The issue is the whole thing falls apart if the subsides get reduced. Like they would still realize some savings, but if Quebec's new plan to reduce their subsidies actually goes through then all the vfx studios will try to flee to Australia.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 21 days!)

saw the trailer for a new garfield movie.

with Chris Pratt as garfield and he sounds exactly like how he voiced Mario, meaning how really doing any voice work at all

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

GateOfD posted:

saw the trailer for a new garfield movie.

with Chris Pratt as garfield and he sounds exactly like how he voiced Mario, meaning how really doing any voice work at all

It's a bummer because I think otherwise it looks like a perfectly fine Garfield movie. But Chris Pratt just doesn't work as his voice. This sounds like deja vu after saying the same about Mario and then him actually being perfectly fine, but I don't think I'm gonna have the same change of heart as I did with Mario

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I'll just wait for a ghoulish fan edit where they dub him over with a AI generated Lorenzo Music.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:

Ccs posted:

The issue is the whole thing falls apart if the subsides get reduced.

Kinda hoping this happens to these giant US based studios exclusively. Or at least make the studio heads move out of Hollywood and into Canada whole hog if they're so reliant on taking government money for their highly profitable shows.

I wish the US had cultural subsidies like Canada but imagine how the average American taxpayer would react if their money were being spent on cartoons.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Macaluso posted:

It's a bummer because I think otherwise it looks like a perfectly fine Garfield movie. But Chris Pratt just doesn't work as his voice. This sounds like deja vu after saying the same about Mario and then him actually being perfectly fine, but I don't think I'm gonna have the same change of heart as I did with Mario

thats the thing though, Chris Pratt is just "fine" not great or even good. his voice doesnt really add anything to the media. If his voice was a spice itd be flour.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

for the Mario movie, it was just universal 'yep its just Chris Pratt talking' what else can you say about it, and any reviews just touched on other aspects of the movie

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

To be fair, Mario being very generic is probably on brand. But yeah, lazy casting for Garfield. Like, Bill Murray was genuinely a good choice, lazy sleazy comedian and all. The Lorenzo Music connection is more than just a good joke.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

To be fair, Mario being very generic is probably on brand. But yeah, lazy casting for Garfield. Like, Bill Murray was genuinely a good choice, lazy sleazy comedian and all. The Lorenzo Music connection is more than just a good joke.

It was also kind of fitting seeing as Music played Murray's character in the Ghostbusters cartoon from the 90s, pity everything else about the live action Garfield movie (that somehow still got a sequel) was terrible though

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Sourdough Sam posted:

Kinda hoping this happens to these giant US based studios exclusively. Or at least make the studio heads move out of Hollywood and into Canada whole hog if they're so reliant on taking government money for their highly profitable shows.

I wish the US had cultural subsidies like Canada but imagine how the average American taxpayer would react if their money were being spent on cartoons.

There was a legal effort years ago to get tariffs placed on any work done in Canada/Australia, etc to offset the savings that subsidies provide. The case was all prepared and ready to go to the international trade court. Unfortunately a lot of vfx artists just didn't care enough about the issue and were willing to move abroad for the next gig instead of donating money to the legal effort, so it collapsed and the people who were spearheading the movement left the vfx industry .

When NAFTA was being renegotiate ahead of it becoming the USCMA, there were also efforts to get the new agreement to include digital goods and digital trade, so one country couldn't be protectionist or try to use subsidies to grab work from another country. But that didn't go anywhere, and it wouldn't have been as effective as the international trade court ruling as it would only apply to Canada and Mexico, whereas US film studios also source work the UK, Australia and France. Even Dreamworks currently plan is to not put all their eggs in one basket and get their movies made by Sony in Vancouver/Montreal, Jellyfish Pictures in the UK/India, and Mikros in France/Montreal/India.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Remember when they were oh yea the next spiderverse movie will release like March 2024, you don’t have to wait long to see the story end, lol

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I'm ok with waiting longer to see art produced by artists who aren't worked to near-death in hellish sprints

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Oh I’m sure they’ll still be worked to dust regardless if it takes another 4 years. That’s the sad part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Ngl during Oscar season it was rich to see people be like "oh I can't support Spiderverse after the worker abuse scandal". Buddy have you heard of the winner.