Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Larryb posted:

I think the darkest thing about that one was one of the stepsisters cutting part of her foot off in order to fit into the slipper

Yeah that was super hosed up. As was the birds plucking their eyes out. By contrast the Disney version is drat near 1 to 1 of the French one except it's just one night ball and the slippers are glass and not gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The foot-cutting and the eye-pecking bits both get great audience reactions during Into The Woods.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The original Grimm's tales can get pretty dark, but I mostly attribute that to kids loving gory details. I remember once reading an autobiographical piece by... I think it was Maurice Sendak, who saw Disney's Snow White when he was a child and was absolutely disappointed when the evil queen wasn't made to dance to death in red-hot iron shoes.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Hihohe posted:

Dont make me get true hercules and hunchback in here

A Hercules/Quasimodo road trip movie would definitely rake in the dough, though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not sure about “Hercules kills his family” but In Hunchback’s case I believe most of the live action adaptations have been pretty faithful to Hugo’s original (including the Broadway version of the Disney film)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something interesting about the Greek myths is that they actually involve a secondary Goddess who doesn't get much discussion, Lyssa, the goddess of insanity. Whenever a God wants a mortal to be driven mad, they defer to HER skill to make it happen, so when the hunt goddess (at least I think it was Artemis, not sure) was spotted naked by the hunter who got ripped apart by his own dogs, it was Lyssa that Artemis asked to drive his dogs mad.

Similarly, Hera contracted Megara's murder at Herc's hands to Lyssa, but she initially didn't want to because Meg and the children did nothing wrong - she's fine with the others because it's the perpetrator dying a horrible death, the hunter shouldn't have peeped, Ajax the lesser shouldn't have assaulted Cassandra at Troy (doubly bad because he did it IN ATHENA'S TEMPLE causing one of her statues to fall in the struggle, so she was especially angry with him), but Megara's death was punishing Hercules which she considered unfair. She didn't want to spark a domestic abuse situation. She actually tried to get out of it by deferring to Isis, but Isis was like "Nah, do it, Hera outranks you." It was an especially lovely contract that she couldn't get out of.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

BioEnchanted posted:

Something interesting about the Greek myths is that they actually involve a secondary Goddess who doesn't get much discussion, Lyssa, the goddess of insanity. Whenever a God wants a mortal to be driven mad, they defer to HER skill to make it happen, so when the hunt goddess (at least I think it was Artemis, not sure) was spotted naked by the hunter who got ripped apart by his own dogs, it was Lyssa that Artemis asked to drive his dogs mad.

Similarly, Hera contracted Megara's murder at Herc's hands to Lyssa, but she initially didn't want to because Meg and the children did nothing wrong - she's fine with the others because it's the perpetrator dying a horrible death, the hunter shouldn't have peeped, Ajax the lesser shouldn't have assaulted Cassandra at Troy (doubly bad because he did it IN ATHENA'S TEMPLE causing one of her statues to fall in the struggle, so she was especially angry with him), but Megara's death was punishing Hercules which she considered unfair. She didn't want to spark a domestic abuse situation. She actually tried to get out of it by deferring to Isis, but Isis was like "Nah, do it, Hera outranks you." It was an especially lovely contract that she couldn't get out of.

That loving blows. It also makes a lot of DC stuff with Wonder Woman and Hercules super awkward and weird when you know the mythology behind some of the stuff.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Has Lyssa ever been adapted into any media for that matter? This is the first I’ve heard of her honestly

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Larryb posted:

Has Lyssa ever been adapted into any media for that matter? This is the first I’ve heard of her honestly

It's not media, but her name is where we get the term lyssavirus (rabies being one of these viruses) from.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Larryb posted:

I actually learned about her from a Dynasty Warriors spinoff on 360 called "Warriors: Legends of Troy" - it also went into the hilarious actual start of the Trojan War.

Basically it all had it's real origin not in Paris and Helen, but in Aphrodite, Athena and Hera - they were having a tiff over who was the most beautiful of them, and they asked Zeus who was like "gently caress this, I'm out, this is a TRAP!" So they instead deferred to Paris, who stupidly gave his true opinion- he personally thought Aphrodite was the hottest. Problem is, he now has the favour of the Goddess of Love, but has just pissed off the Goddesses of Marriage and Warfare. Aphrodite introduces him to Helen as a thank you for flattering her, not caring that Helen is already married as she's basically shipping Paris and Helen at this point, and that angers Helen's husband. Paris now has an angry army on his doorstep, and the goddess of War is angry with him so he is doomed on THAT front, and the Goddess of Marriage is angry with him so him and Helen are doomed to fail as a couple. HUGE screwup there.

At least that's how the game presents it, it may be inaccurate.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
if it wasn't in the hit game hades, it ain't canon

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

BioEnchanted posted:

I actually learned about her from a Dynasty Warriors spinoff on 360 called "Warriors: Legends of Troy" - it also went into the hilarious actual start of the Trojan War.

Basically it all had it's real origin not in Paris and Helen, but in Aphrodite, Athena and Hera - they were having a tiff over who was the most beautiful of them, and they asked Zeus who was like "gently caress this, I'm out, this is a TRAP!" So they instead deferred to Paris, who stupidly gave his true opinion- he personally thought Aphrodite was the hottest. Problem is, he now has the favour of the Goddess of Love, but has just pissed off the Goddesses of Marriage and Warfare. Aphrodite introduces him to Helen as a thank you for flattering her, not caring that Helen is already married as she's basically shipping Paris and Helen at this point, and that angers Helen's husband. Paris now has an angry army on his doorstep, and the goddess of War is angry with him so he is doomed on THAT front, and the Goddess of Marriage is angry with him so him and Helen are doomed to fail as a couple. HUGE screwup there.

At least that's how the game presents it, it may be inaccurate.

No that's about right. The only thing missing is the cause of the argument which was Eris the Goddess of chaos and discord throwing in a golden apple marked for the most beautiful because they didn't invite her to their tea party.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

World Famous W posted:

if it wasn't in the hit game hades, it ain't canon

There is like a 90% chance she is going to be in Hades 2 considering the plot, and there's a significant chance she is the protagonist.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
had to unbookmark the hades (lades) thread cause i don't want no spoilers

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

World Famous W posted:

had to unbookmark the hades (lades) thread cause i don't want no spoilers

I apologize! For what it's worth that is just me going "This is what I expect considering the mythology used" and not anything grounded in spoilers or anything.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
ha, we cool

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It should be acknowledged that with Greek mythology, two things: first, they were very much living stories and varied over time and in telling a great deal, and second, the most major source for modern popular consciousness is Ovid's Metamorphoses. Ovid was Roman, and he seems to have deliberately darkened up a lot of the stories in his re-telling, adding elements that emphasized the cruelty of the gods.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 1, 2024

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

All the Greeks being all like "Lol, Ovid, more like Ovum" because he gained a little weight and he's like "You bastards, that's the only Latin word you bothered to learn and it's so that you could make that joke!"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Is the ancient Greek religion (which I believe was formally known as Hellenism) even stlll seriously practiced anywhere or has all that stuff been relegated solely to myths?

For that matter, did said religion have its own end of the world style event ala Ragnarok and Revelations?

FranklyMaDear
May 1, 2024

TwoPair posted:

Annnnd of course LMM is doing the songs. Man, when they signed the deal to get Hamilton on Disney+ he must have gotten some crazy rear end "I will now be the music guy" clause in there. Or Disney has him chained to a desk, I can't figure out who's in power.

You do realize he wrote the scuttlebutt rap from the Live-action little mermaid movie, right?

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
We never considered it, tedious rereg guy! Nobody here saw it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
:stare:
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1785701127024992479?t=isc4oG3Rcie8bJ_DyxvCyQ&s=19

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm just thrown that the Egyptian goddess suddenly shows up in the middle of this.

Basically, Disney's liberties with the stories are probably both not unprecedented nor particularly exceptional for changing things to suit the audience and culture the story's being told to. Especially since there were quite a few cultures who were like 'Excuse me, Zeus was always faithful to his wife Hera and I don't know where you got all these gross stories from but cut it out or we'll get the hemlock' and probably would enjoy the Disney version.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 2, 2024

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

watching Star Wars Visions for the first time, not all of it tonight but i'll watch more later

The Duel (B-): sort of by the numbers as far as Kurosawa tributes go, but not bad, I didn't mind the CG either because they used it pretty effectively (I haven't seen it but I guess that Blue Eye Samurai is a rough equivalent here). not super memorable though

Tatooine Rhapsody (C): felt more like a pilot for a kids show than an anthology story. I mean it was cute, and the proportions of the characters made Boba Fett look suitably pathetic, but if it wasn't a Star Wars story, it'd be just sort of a bog standard sci-fi pilot about a band

The Twins (D+): a microcosm of Studio Trigger's pre-Meshi output: vibrant, loud, and aggressively mid.

The Village Bride (A): This is what I expected to see out of this anthology when I heard about it, something you wouldn't just get out of a mainline Star Wars production. it reminded me of Kino's Journey, and honestly, I would love a travelogue-style anime in the Star Wars universe, completely ignoring the grand plot in favor of exploring the various cultures of the galaxy.

The Ninth Jedi (A-): A solid mix of action and drama out of Production IG. felt the most like an authentic Star Wars story, and could have been a decent opening chapter to a first movie of a trilogy of its own, but I'm ok with Disney not milking yet another trilogy out of this. Also this makes me realize I would love a murder mystery Rokka/They Were Eleven style in the Star Wars universe

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
We watched Raya and The last Dragon for the first time last night. It was definitely a slightly better than middle of the road romp that was elevated by some very pretty visuals, but one of the things that really stood out to me was the fight sequences.

Never thought I'd see a Disney princess straight up punch somebody in the face with a haymaker and get hit in the face in turn, and the end fight sequence where they're going at it with weapons is genuinely well choreographed but also stands out because they are trying to absolutely murder each other.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm just thrown that the Egyptian goddess suddenly shows up in the middle of this.

Basically, Disney's liberties with the stories are probably both not unprecedented nor particularly exceptional for changing things to suit the audience and culture the story's being told to. Especially since there were quite a few cultures who were like 'Excuse me, Zeus was always faithful to his wife Hera and I don't know where you got all these gross stories from but cut it out or we'll get the hemlock' and probably would enjoy the Disney version.

Yeah, I think I mistyped Iris.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BioEnchanted posted:

Yeah, I think I mistyped Iris.

Do you mean Eris?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Out of curiosity, did Hercules: The Legendary Journeys get the same vitriol about accuracy? I never saw it, but maybe it was more rapey and murdery than I had assumed. :v:

Xena's fanfiction, so I figure we were all cool with that one.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Egyptian gods suddenly appearing in a Greek story wouldn't even be weird. There's people in both civilisations who worshipped each other's gods.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

The MSJ posted:

Egyptian gods suddenly appearing in a Greek story wouldn't even be weird. There's people in both civilisations who worshipped each other's gods.
It's actually really interesting how some of those melded together. For example, Hermes and Toth were redefined as the same person Hermes Trismegistus. Hermes was also Anubis, i.e. Hermanubis. Seems like that guy wore a lot of hats in Egypt.
The term for this stuff is Syncretism.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Larryb posted:

For that matter, did said religion have its own end of the world style event ala Ragnarok and Revelations?

Yes, its called God of War 3. :v:

Seriously though, I don't think they really did? Greek mythological cannon seems to kinda blend in gradually to the "present", roughly culminating in the Trojan War and Odyssey. They did have the Titanomachy, though that was at the start rather than the end.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

The MSJ posted:

Everyone's cool when you have a pantheon, heck, sometimes you even have to play nice to those silly monotheists
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oomJG8uVLMs

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

cant cook creole bream posted:

It's actually really interesting how some of those melded together. For example, Hermes and Toth were redefined as the same person Hermes Trismegistus. Hermes was also Anubis, i.e. Hermanubis. Seems like that guy wore a lot of hats in Egypt.
The term for this stuff is Syncretism.

yeah, as a rule polytheists tend to run on "Huh, weird name for this guy, but okay."

or sometimes. "Our God now" - people used to think this is what Dionysus was, but it turns out he's actually older than most of the greek gods, but he just fell heavily out of favor. Aphrodite from research is most certainly an imported Ishtar, etc.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

My Disney watch continues...

Lady and the Tramp

I know I saw this movie as a child, but I have no idea when and couldn't have told you anything about it except for the spaghetti scene and the racist cats, so this was pretty much all new other than a vague sense of familiarity. And maybe that's also because there's not a lot to remember? Not in a bad way necessarily, it's a cute, pleasant movie that kind of ambles its way through what plot there is. Most of its strengths are in its characters and just general vibe. The title characters are a fun pair with a lot of personality between them who do the whole Jasmine/Aladdin, Jack/Rose thing. Both fill their respective roles well, and the Tramp in particular really gets to shine as the first Disney male love interest to even have a personality, much less a fun, charming one. The animation of the dogs was drawn with real animals as a reference, so visually as well they have a lot of liveliness. This was also Disney's first animated movie in CinemaScope, and the wide aspect ratio makes for a nice change of feel.

On the negatives, Disney continues their anti-cat propaganda from Cinderella, and the design for those cats really is pretty racist. Their song does have some fun animation at least. And I knew Peggy Lee did some of the other voices, but I just learned she also voices the cats? :2monocle:

Anyway, yeah, cute movie. Another for the middle of the pack, but on the upper edge of it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Watching Kung Fu Panda 4 chinese dub was interesting cause they got big names but goddang it nobody sounds like doofus who people don't take seriously like Jack Black and while Huang Bo is a good actor it doesnt land as well for me?

Way better the KFP3 but they really just dont know how to top KFP2's sequences and visual direction

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Gassy’s Gas ‘N Stuff sequel!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp7hsyAeYQw

Overjoyed that Adult Swim commissioned Sarah Schmidt to do another of these, she instantly became one of my favorites after the first one

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 3, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

For anyone that enjoyed Dead End Paranormal Park, the last collection of the original webcomic it was based on is out now (containing the story that would have been adapted into the cancelled third season):

https://www.amazon.com/DeadEndia-Divine-Order-Hamish-Steele/dp/1454949015

You might want to check out the other two books as well seeing as the show changed a few things from the comic (especially in regards to the end of the second part)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 3, 2024

TrippDay
May 3, 2024
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgBO9c3WKII

So goons, remember that godawful 3D animated movie Foodfight, well there is a documentary on it on YouTube and holy poo poo is it deep.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

TrippDay posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgBO9c3WKII

So goons, remember that godawful 3D animated movie Foodfight, well there is a documentary on it on YouTube and holy poo poo is it deep.

Thank you, trainwreck deep dives are my favorite thing ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Larryb posted:

For anyone that enjoyed Dead End Paranormal Park, the last collection of the original webcomic it was based on is out now (containing the story that would have been adapted into the cancelled third season):

https://www.amazon.com/DeadEndia-Divine-Order-Hamish-Steele/dp/1454949015

You might want to check out the other two books as well seeing as the show changed a few things from the comic (especially in regards to the end of the second part)

Just quoting this now that I’ve read it to say this is a legitimately good read/conclusion to the series that I’d absolutely recommend (and just makes me sadder that we couldn’t have gotten this animated)

As I said, you might want to read the second graphic novel as well though as it does end a little differently than the cartoon adaptation did and this one picks up from where the comic version left off

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 4, 2024