Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Illumination overall has really disappointed me over the years but thats just because I thought they were an underdog that was going to take big weird swings, but in reality they are just trying to make the most broadly appealing movies possible, but because they're more french it initially seemed different and refreshing. There are still aspects of the designs in Despicable Me that I like, but movies like Thelma The Unicorn are more of the type of film I thought the studio would make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Das Boo posted:

3 was just a bunch of poo poo that happened with no through line and I saw it in the theater with my nephew and wanted to die.

That's kind of a theme with Illumination given that's kinda how the Mario movie's described. The visuals are great and there's lots of good gags but the stories don't got a lot of connecting tissue, clearly more thrown together from setpieces than really plotted out.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's kind of a theme with Illumination given that's kinda how the Mario movie's described. The visuals are great and there's lots of good gags but the stories don't got a lot of connecting tissue, clearly more thrown together from setpieces than really plotted out.

I watched Mario in theaters on edibles and had an existential crisis about this and what actually quantifies a "film."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Das Boo posted:

I watched Mario in theaters on edibles and had an existential crisis about this and what actually quantifies a "film."

Clearly you shoulda had mushrooms.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Gru is like an old friend I check in with every few years by watching the trailers for the new Despicable Me movies. He really turned his life around, and I am glad for him and his family.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
My younger daughter has been on a dinosaur kick and has gotten obsessed with the How to Train Your Dragon series. She's been watching the TV series lately and it's not bad. While not explicitly intended to be educational the recurring theme of the episodes is observing behaviors in dragons and trying to figure out why/how to correct it.

I hear they're gonna make a live action movie of it but from the info I've seen I'm not super impressed with the casting of Fishlegs and Snotlout.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

I hear they're gonna make a live action movie of it but from the info I've seen I'm not super impressed with the casting of Fishlegs and Snotlout.

Ah, Dreamworks is jumping on the Disney live-action bandwagon? That's a shame but I can't blame them I guess, seeing how Disney has made out like bandits from that strategy no matter how mediocre the final product is.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

My problem with despicable me is that he didnt teach his girls how to be a villains in the sequels.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I never watched anything since DM2, so I’m just wondering: did Gru’s wife get sidelined after their marriage?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Regalingualius posted:

I never watched anything since DM2, so I’m just wondering: did Gru’s wife get sidelined after their marriage?

Nah she's still a working agent and plays a big part in 3

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny enough that might be why I heard a lot more praise towards Minions 2 than usual for an Illumination movie, because it pretty much gives up on any sense of a plot in favor of slapstick and Diana Ross

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I liked in 3 is that the villain at one point has a slightly subtle (for this franchise anyway) tell when he's impersonating Lucy- he's obsessed with 80s music, and in that scene she's quietly singing "Let's get Physical" to herself. In hindsight it's really obvious, but it's also a natural enough thing that people just do anyway that at least I overlooked it until the reveal. Also Benjamin Bratt I thought was a fun villain idea, someone who's career peaked as a child and who has been unable to let it go. I also liked the first Minions movie, it had some solid jokes (both smaller ones like "Oh no, we killed the original!" and also stuff like Queen Elizabeth in a pub arm wrestling the patrons which I thought was funny enough) and Scarlett Overkill had some funny moments too due to her obsession with a plan she came up with as a 6 year old, so some of the parts of it are still super childish.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Speaking of Illumination, I just watched Migration last night. I actually thought it was a pretty solid kids' movie for something I didn't even know was in theaters until it was available digitally.
Not exactly a complex premise, but it works way better than whatever Disney was going for with Wish, for instance. Sometimes it's best to just do a simple plot well instead of a complex plot poorly.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

JazzFlight posted:

Speaking of Illumination, I just watched Migration last night. I actually thought it was a pretty solid kids' movie for something I didn't even know was in theaters until it was available digitally.
Not exactly a complex premise, but it works way better than whatever Disney was going for with Wish, for instance. Sometimes it's best to just do a simple plot well instead of a complex plot poorly.

I hated the trailer as it was before a different movie that I went to see and it just showed the entire plot from start to finish so it feels like there's no point in seeing it. I hate trailers for movies, they always give way too much away.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Oh, I should mention that the human villain in Migration gave me total One Piece or maybe Popeye vibes. Mad respect to Illumination for having zero humans speak in the film too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BioEnchanted posted:

Also Benjamin Bratt I thought was a fun villain idea, someone who's career peaked as a child and who has been unable to let it go.

Kinda lol that this is straight out of Venture Bros for a few reasons. Feel like if they leaned into that a little bit the movies would be great at being a more kid-friendly Venture Bros, like the DuckTales reboot.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda lol that this is straight out of Venture Bros for a few reasons. Feel like if they leaned into that a little bit the movies would be great at being a more kid-friendly Venture Bros, like the DuckTales reboot.

It's at least as old as Batman The Animated Series, there's a villain like that who's in two episodes.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

JazzFlight posted:

Oh, I should mention that the human villain in Migration gave me total One Piece or maybe Popeye vibes. Mad respect to Illumination for having zero humans speak in the film too.

Iove that the villain was basically Salt Bae.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's at least as old as Batman The Animated Series, there's a villain like that who's in two episodes.

Baby Doll is kind of her own thing, but I mean more specifically an adventuring sidekick/kid hero who becomes the equivalent of a former child star. There's one episode with a whole support group of them including what is pretty obviously actual Johnny Quest. (They just don't use the full name after a while because the network complained, but it's clearly the same character)

Heck, the new DuckTales even kinda had one of those. One very major villain is introduced pretty much as one of the OG kid sidekicks... who went down in history as being terrible at it, and he HATED it, to the point where he wants to get rid of 'adventure' entirely as an adult.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
All of those child actor villain characters stem from the 60s movie "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?". The villain from Cats Don't Dance was also an evil child actor right?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sourdough Sam posted:

All of those child actor villain characters stem from the 60s movie "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?". The villain from Cats Don't Dance was also an evil child actor right?

Likely. Darla Dimple was still an actual child though, just an excellent performance of your 'spoiled brat with way too much power' type.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol I have the title song of CDD stuck in my head as we speak because I looked up the opening credits yesterday just to put it there.

It's like the proto-Zootopia-titles, and has the same effect on me

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Cats Don't Dance was an absolutely solid movie that got hosed over by the studios.

Baby Doll was honestly one of the most pitiable of Batman's Rogue gallery given her entire situation, and I really didn't like how they handle her in "Love is a Croc" as well as her overall redesign.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

A lot of the new adventure re-designs are questionable.

I'm not sure what Timm was thinking with Riddler, Joker and Mad Hatters.

Scarecrow probably the only real glow up.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Finally got around to watching Elemental as I work through some Oscar nominees. I feel pretty conflicted about it.

So many elements of the movie are great. I really loved some of the gags. Wade accidentally magnifying his name tag by trying to cover it up was great. The mom running down the stairs in a wide shot was great. Got a good laugh at the "So You're Being Shut Down" flyer. The movie delivered comedically much more than I expected. I also thought the romantic chemistry was really successful, and that's a cool thing you don't get a ton in animation. Visually, it was pretty impressive.

It is a shame the central metaphor of the movie is so untenable that everything is brought down by it. I don't think it's a bad movie, but it is definitely not a great movie. The awful premise really drags it down.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Pixeltendo posted:

A lot of the new adventure re-designs are questionable.

I'm not sure what Timm was thinking with Riddler, Joker and Mad Hatters.

Scarecrow probably the only real glow up.

In jokers case, it was a cost cutting move. His design was simplified to make him easier to animate. Might have been for the others, don't recall their design changes well enough to comment.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Mr. Lobe posted:

In jokers case, it was a cost cutting move. His design was simplified to make him easier to animate. Might have been for the others, don't recall their design changes well enough to comment.

It's definitely this. They were all streamlined, but I don't actually recall if the animation quality changed.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The animation quality definitely seemed way more consistent to me in that era, even though I didn't love some of the designs. In the original run it's kinda all over the place -- some episodes (particularly the 2-parters that were aired in prime time) clearly got the higher budget treatment with one of the better studios, and others looked a bit more outsourced.

Speaking of the Joker, his first episode (by airdate, "Joker's Favor") is a pretty weird-looking one.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, New Adventures is definitely more consistent, in the old series, you can tell what episodes they thought was important because they got shipped out to the GOOD studios

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Added the 2025 movie DOG MAN to the upcoming list. Also added the trailer for Despicable Me 4.

Added trailers for Sonic 3 (just the title, not a full trailer), Snoopy Presents: Welcome Home, Franklin, and the sequel to Megamind, Megamind vs The Doom Syndicate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXb7tWC2W5o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go--Gzu_qGg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5wdFSRYoOY

Megamind's new voice cast seems...not the best. It comes with a new animated series, Megamind Rules!, also on Peacock.

I still don't know anyone who has Peacock.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Feb 3, 2024

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Saw Orion and the Dark today. It's not perfect but it's solidly in the "good" side of the equation and does some pretty creative stuff with the premise by the end. Worth a watch if you like Pixar "what if concept was people?" type movies.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Oh, god. The puke scene in TMNT: Mutant Mayhem.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Robindaybird posted:

didn't 2 have the utterly aisine 'no family is complete without a mom' message?

It had more of a "not every step mom in a kid's movie is evil" message. Which honestly make it kinda progressive.

acetcx
Jul 21, 2011
I finished Pantheon season 2 last night and loved it. It goes in a somewhat unexpected direction in the second half of the season and explores some pretty big philosophical questions like the simulation argument and what it means to care about something over incredibly long time scales. I'm so glad they took the risk because it would have been disappointing if Holstrom ended up being the big bad guy and the story ended with his defeat. I often find when other shows try to do something similar (mostly thinking of anime here) they go way too abstract and end up incomprehensible but I didn't have any trouble following along.

Really wonderful stuff, I'd highly recommend watching it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Alhazred posted:

It had more of a "not every step mom in a kid's movie is evil" message. Which honestly make it kinda progressive.

Part of the problem was the youngest daughter feeling like the family was incomplete and the dumb plot thing with the mother's day pageant, which isn't a thing. Whether it intended to or not, the movie implied that Gru wasn't doing enough on his own, when he demonstrably WAS. He was doing really well as a solo parent, the problem was that the movie didn't seem to do enough to make clear that it was the youngest girl alone that felt that he wasn't enough, which would have been fair enough as it's a childish thing to think.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

It’s been so long since I saw it, but was the big bad of DM2 heavily coded (if not outright said) to be a single dad himself? To drive home the :gary:“A FAMILY IS ONLY A FAMILY IF IT HAS TWO PARENTS” :yarg: message even more

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Robindaybird posted:

I've been seeing ads for Migration and apparently it came out last year and I heard nothing about it until now.

I watched and enjoyed Migration. Illumination is often weak on story, but strong on gags and visuals and Migration is another example of that. Like, they seem to have some of the best artists in the business working for them (the backgrounds in Migration are genuinely gorgeous, and the character animation is top notch), but the plots are always an after thought that usually serve as a vague excuse to string together a series of jokes (or songs in the case of the Sing movies) as quickly and in as many different settings as possible.

And personally I'm perfectly fine with that, but I can understand people who want something more than "a Looney Tunes short, but there's a bunch of them strung together into an hour and thirty minutes" being disappointed.

The thing that surprised me most about Migration is that Danny Devito is in it, I don't think they advertised that at all? Or maybe I just didn't pay enough attention to the trailers, I dunno.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I watched and enjoyed Migration. Illumination is often weak on story, but strong on gags and visuals and Migration is another example of that. Like, they seem to have some of the best artists in the business working for them (the backgrounds in Migration are genuinely gorgeous, and the character animation is top notch), but the plots are always an after thought that usually serve as a vague excuse to string together a series of jokes (or songs in the case of the Sing movies) as quickly and in as many different settings as possible.

And personally I'm perfectly fine with that, but I can understand people who want something more than "a Looney Tunes short, but there's a bunch of them strung together into an hour and thirty minutes" being disappointed.

The thing that surprised me most about Migration is that Danny Devito is in it, I don't think they advertised that at all? Or maybe I just didn't pay enough attention to the trailers, I dunno.

The trailers gave practically the whole movie away, so it wouldn't be surprising if he was in them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Alhazred posted:

Oh, god. The puke scene in TMNT: Mutant Mayhem.
it's a bit much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Not far enough. That was the moment the film was on my level of stupid lol