Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

paradoxGentleman posted:

I've not watched Wish, it doesn't really have much to sell me on it and at this point I've seen enough people whose reaction ranges from disgusted to disappointed in it that I know better.

I wanted to ask, if that's alright, what are the problems with it, exactly? I've seen several takes from "forgettable generic quirky protagonist" to "the plot makes no sense" to "we are told we should care about this but not shown why".

It really just doesn't make sense. They set up this huge convoluted system about having a wish and giving it up when you turn eighteen to live in a perfect society, and the whole entire plot and the arcs of all the characters hinge on it, but the movie itself doesn't know how it works or what it means. The king develops a land where he takes everyone's wishes because his family was murdered, which implies that murdering people is a wish, so he has to be the gatekeeper of wishes. But then at the end the solution is to just give everyone their wishes even though the plot has explicitly told us that there are, in fact, bad wishes. So is everyone in town just accidentally harmonious? And what does it even mean to give up a wish? If the animals and plants are capable of wishing, why aren't they all talking all the time? What?

This isn't nitpicking, it prompts these questions of its own accord. Also, every song is an atrocity. The melodies are whatever, but the lyrics are truly some of the most inept I've ever heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
All the songs are by Julia Michaels, whose entire catalogue seems to be those generic pop songs they play in gyms.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Oh yeah, the Hunchback musical is pretty widely acclaimed as being the best of the Disney stage musicals by a significant margin, and people in the Broadway community are constantly champing at the bit for a transfer.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The cat in Soul was so ugly that it made the movie hard to watch.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Yeah if you're an actual artist you can make an ai image and then slap it into photoshop and do a drawover of the parts that suck poo poo but if you're an idiot hack fraud with no talent there's nothing you can but press the AI diarrhea button over and over praying one of the turds it farts out will be acceptably composed enough to pass off as real art made by someone who isn't an inept moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The foot-cutting and the eye-pecking bits both get great audience reactions during Into The Woods.