Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It uses almost all the songs from the animated version, A Guy Like You is excluded but I think they have all the rest. And some more. It's excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't need it to come to Broadway, but I'm just begging for some loving proshots. I can 100% guarantee the public will still pay out the rear end for the live experience, and those of us who, for example, don't have a passport or a car or enough money for plane tickets might get to see more musicals.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
there's a Q&A with the co-director of Kung-Fu Panda 4 that basically explains that the entire production was a shitshow: https://www.reddit.com/r/kungfupanda/comments/1bbbnod/got_to_talk_to_the_codirector_of_kfp_4_and/

and the bullet points are here for people who don't want to go to Reddit

• Early on, KFP4 was considered to be live action-animation hybrid, and featured humans. I posted concept art of the human Chameleon (then, The Collector, even though we already have Kai the Collector) vs Po. Seems like Zhen would've been human too. They'd have come from Hu-man City, apparently... To add insult to injury, one of these versions had Po, the protagonist, stuck in a BOX for 20 MINUTES.

• Mike Mitchell, the director, had total creative freedom. Hence, him + the studio leadership wanting laughs and a more joke-y vibe led to the overall tone, like the F5's comical side missions. Jack Black called him the "comedy guy", while Stephanie brought "things deeper" and "more heart"

• Additionally, it was Mitchell who insisted against fleshing out the Chameleon's backstory. Apparently, Chameleon and Zhen had ZERO backstory in early versions. By the time the crew pushed him enough to change his mind, they were too far along in animating to add anything but the Chameleon's few lines.

• The runtime was a studio mandate since they believed children can't watch a longer film + maximize profits.

• TV shows are non-canon, as they are under separate film and television divisions that are "rivals".

• Lord Shen, General Kai, and the Furious Five were VERY last minute additions to the point that their animation rigs were "made of sticks and glue". Hence, no plot relevance (e.g. not redeemed properly) and inability to bring back their actors, as much as some of the crew advocated for their return. Furthermore, there's a thing where actors are brought in for voice roles with X amount of money, and exponential increases for sequels. Apparently, a single line from Jolie would've cost $20 million, so you can imagine why the Five were absent...

• Not everyone who dies goes to the Spirit Realm. It's not a definite rule behind-the-scenes, but it's vaguely agreed upon that only kung fu practitioners can pass on. It was also Mitchell's idea that all 3 villains were indeed sent to the Realm and that the Chameleon only wanted master VILLAINS summoned. [Pretty sure that retcons Lord Shen but alas-]

• Pelican is named Chip, and a female. The fish in her beak is Fish.

• Calvin Tsang, Head of Story, directed "a short film for KFP 4". Though, DreamWorks gave him a low budget but apparently he pulled enough favours for it to work out, with Stephanie describing it as "amazing, seriously" and shows "how strong of a director's voice he has".

• Future spin-offs uncertain. DreamWorks has dissolved most, if not all, of its TV division.

• Though, Mitchell was very vocal about a F5 spinoff. Execs are aware of the fans' demand for it.

• Shifu's staff lacks its golden piece since it has been repaired following his mastery of Chi, per production designer Paul Duncan. (Same man responsible for bringing back the Dagger of Deng Wa with his attention to detail.)

• Universal mandated for a tentpole film like KFP4 to have "stars" hired for voicework.

• For the record, Stephanie wanted for KFP4 to "stay truer to KFP1 and KFP 2" but was dismissed as a nobody by the crew.

• Case in point, she wanted Tai Lung being brought back to be done right. She pitched for Po/Shifu to have a vision of the Chameleon kidnapping Shifu, prompting Po to go on a quest to stop her. Shifu gets kidnapped anyway due to the Chameleon's manipulations, and he's hence present to say goodbye to Tai Lung. The execs loved it but "someone axed it". For those who've seen the film, the vision was reduced to Po's dream enroute to Juniper City.

• Another example of Stephanie's intervention, she fought for Zhen to be redeemed ONSCREEN after betraying Po, much to the writers' refusal. She was supposed to swoop in out of nowhere to fight the Chameleon for a bit and disappears quickly again. She also ensured that her redemption scene wasn't just dialogue and had action going on. (She admits to Po and Zhen's underbaked relationship not supplementing this scene enough though.)

• The writers seemed to HATE comments "poking holes at the story".

• Zhen is a Corsac Fox as its the Asian fox with distinctive facial features.

• Nico Marlet, renowned concept artist, only worked on the film for a week, left, and refused to come back.

• Many crewmembers pitched ideas for Zhen's family's backstory but all were discarded.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
why has everyone decided that the hatewatchers made Velma happen vs every other time a bad show gets more seasons. many more people just like bad shows

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think Inside Out 2 comes out first. June?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
wasn't it mentioned in one of these animation threads previously that corporations are basically allergic to "new" IPs, so the only way to get anything made is to take a preexisting property and hammer it into the show you actually wanted to make?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Schwarzwald posted:

Wasn't Shyamalan actively being screwed by the producer or something like that? I swear I remember hearing there was another spanner in the works beyond just him.

One of the big ones I heard was that Nelson Peltz helped bankroll the film with the requirement that his daughter get the role of Katara, and that's why we have the "why are Katara and Sokka white" mess.