Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Srice posted:

It did but now it's getting a brief theatrical run.

See also: Luca and Soul

Which is good because they all deserved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Movie looks serviceable. The choice of trailer music is absolutely baffling though.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Saw Orion and the Dark today. It's not perfect but it's solidly in the "good" side of the equation and does some pretty creative stuff with the premise by the end. Worth a watch if you like Pixar "what if concept was people?" type movies.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

DoctorWhat posted:

Antisocial and homicidal fandom behavior is a product of demographics that are alienated from control over their lives and environments. When you still live in your mom's house for whatever reason you have very little control over your actual life compared to the boomers who still post about season 6 of The Simpsons. When people like this have an opportunity to make an impact they often don't care what form that impact takes. As long as they feel powerful and influential they will find moral justifications for any act that gives them power and influence.

Some of this alienation is due to straight up age. Teenagers have no positive control over their own environments but tremendous ability to wreak havoc on other people. As wealth stratification across class and generational lines becomes more stark, The upper age boundary on this disenfranchised demographic rises continuously well into the twenties.

As discussed above, neurodivergence plays a major part also. These factors are not independent. Hyperfixation, rigid moral structures, and social dysfunction all contribute to antisocial behavior within fandom, and some fandoms are going to attract more intense hyperfixation than others for a variety of aesthetic and subject-matter reasons.

Some say that children's media is particularly prone also, because it is seen as morally instructive and poor moral instruction is there for a threat to children. I think there is the degree to which this is true, but I think this is diffused by the fact that, increasingly, all media is for children. The young adult demographic ranges from age 11 to age 40 now, especially if the media in question features any sort of fantastical or science fictional elements.

There’s also a lack of alternative vessels for that level of emotional investment. I feel like religion (as bullshit as it may be) used to act as a heat sink for this kind of thing but now that nobody believes in god anymore (especially American Christians) all that energy is finding it’s way into these fictional worlds because they are the only part of modern living that consistently feels good for a lot of people.

See also: Political leaders, war heroes, movie stars, ones neighbors and community, etc.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Watched the Welcome Home Franklin Peanuts special today. It's pretty decent for what it it. I don't want to oversell it but the people who made it clearly cared about what they were making and it's worth checking out if you like Peanuts stuff.

Also Franklin is now Charlie Brown's canon BFF. I support this retcon.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

TwoPair posted:

oh noooo what a shaaaame.

(okay this is actually the first time I've heard of Big Nate so maybe that was an actual shame but I cannot bring myself to mourn the loss of the Rugrats reboot)

e: okay after a minute of thinking okay I do feel bad for the artists' having their hard work being just flushed into the ether no matter if I think the shows themselves are any good...

The Big Nate show was pretty mid. It made a lot of weird changes from the source material (for example Nate’s teacher now actually hates him rather than it all being in Nate’s head) and added a bunch of gross out humor for no reason.

Still absolutely hate this trend of dumping shows down the memory hole though. If you like something even a little then you are morally obligated to pirate it these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
OK, can someone please go watch Welcome Home Franklin and tell me if they also get massive “this story was originally conceived as a queer romance” vibes? Because I feel like I’m going insane right now. I don’t think I’ve had a film set off my gaydar this strongly since Luca.

Side note: Oh, look at that, I was loving right!

E: This is not a complaint, nor do I even think the movie necessarily needed to be overtly queer (I actually think these kind of emotionally vulnerable friendships are a good example for straight kids so it’s fine).

But god drat, the vibes.

Also just go watch WHF either way. It’s wholesome as hell and deserves better than to languish in obscurity on ATV+

E2: This is the song they play right before the credits roll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGdPAskqNAE

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 13, 2024