Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I will not underestimate Disney's ability to take away the dumbest possible lesson from any situation, but I do hope they weren't expecting big numbers from the Pixar re-releases. Honestly even under the best circumstances I kinda think I'd rather watch them at home on a nice 4K TV. They probably look better that way than on a lot of theater projectors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

The_Doctor posted:

The New York bits of Soul are truly gorgeous and evocative of the city. Joe walking along with coffee at the end, and you can just tell it’s a bit chilly, but still a lovely day. That’s so well realised, it’s just a shame the rest of the movie is pretty mediocre and set in blobby soft afterlife space with blobby shapeless people.

The soundtrack is very good, shout out to both Jon Batiste and the Reznor/Ross hybrid.

Soul feels like Coco for people who watch PBS. Or perhaps for people who actually listen to Jon Batiste albums. I still like it quite a bit (in the same way that I like Jon Batiste) but it feels a little too... whatever that is.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 16, 2024

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Kermit The Grog posted:

I definitely remember Great Mouse Detective and Oliver and Company constellations making it all the weirder. Leads me well into my next question, what happened with The Rescuers and Disney?
It did well and was popular in its time and was the first to get a main studio sequel but it’s seemingly erased from Disney canon. You don’t see the characters mentioned anywhere and they show up very rarely in merch. Did something happen to it? (Besides the nudity frame)

I guess the fact that the sequel underperformed sent a message that they shouldn't bother investing any more into those characters. Even though it really only underperformed compared to The Little Freaking Mermaid.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The animation quality definitely seemed way more consistent to me in that era, even though I didn't love some of the designs. In the original run it's kinda all over the place -- some episodes (particularly the 2-parters that were aired in prime time) clearly got the higher budget treatment with one of the better studios, and others looked a bit more outsourced.

Speaking of the Joker, his first episode (by airdate, "Joker's Favor") is a pretty weird-looking one.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I thought it was okay, but I haven't seen the original in ages. I did hate the moment near the end where there's literally no reason not to push the button that will immediately fix everything, and yet the main character is still hesitating because of some forced drama. You're literally holding it in your hand, just push it already!

My kids are watching Return of Jafar right now and they were convinced the genie is actually Jafar in disguise because he's still wearing shackles. I had to break it to them that the animators just forgot, though on IMDb it's "incorrectly regarded as a goof" because maybe the genie just liked wearing shackles so much that he put them on again. Gotta love the Internet!

Also who decided to give Gilbert Gottfried two songs in this, geez.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 4, 2024

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

ookiimarukochan posted:

it's allegedly a reworking of the first few episodes of the TV show they announced 4 years ago, which may have been scrapped (or this could be like with the Clone Wars movie/TV show)

Oh gosh. This seems to be their new thing lately and it sucks. (Sometimes it goes the other direction like the Obi-wan show probably having been a movie at some point.) Moana deserves better, not that a sequel really has much potential either way.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah that's definitely accurate of Pinocchio too, I guess the main difference is the set pieces are just better. Like there's a part where a magic dove just drops a piece of paper with exposition on them so they can go to the next plot point. "BTW Gepetto went looking for you and got swallowed by a whale named Monstro"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Total Meatlove posted:

But the fight in Man of Steel had a lot of the payoff for different plot and story elements within it, and has been aped relentlessly since?

No offense but I have never heard anything close to this take before, so I don't think it's as accepted as you think.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

doomrider7 posted:

People won't stop posting and hate-watching.

Except they absolutely will, and did. I'm pretty sure this was greenlit off pure hype and a whiff of controversy in the air before anyone in the general public even had a chance to see it. That one week or so of Twitter discourse was enough, because executives are dumber than you can imagine. I do not expect there to be a season 3.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Lord Hydronium posted:

Make Mine Music
The first of the lesser Fantasias, and for some reason the only WDAS movie not on Disney Plus. No one seems to be quite sure why; theories include the gun violence in The Martins and the Coys, which was censored in international home video releases (but I'm in the US), or copyright issues surrounding Peter and the Wolf. This one is just all over the place. There's a lot of "comedy" numbers that just didn't work for me, with lots of mugging and belaboring of jokes. My biggest offender here is Casey at the Bat, a poem I quite like on its own, but here the charm of the original is just drowned out by a lot of unfunny excess. There's a lot of dull romantic numbers here too, probably the best of which is Blue Bayou because it uses some gorgeous animation originally made for a cut Clair de Lune sequence from Fantasia. Highlights include Peter and the Wolf, The Whale Who Wanted to Sing at the Met, and my personal favorite, All the Cats Join In, a fun jazzy number where dancing teens are animated by a giant disembodied pencil a la Duck Amuck, which has to keep up and draw in the scenery as they go along. Real highs and lows here.

I think there was also some more suggestive artwork in "All the Cats Join In" that got tempered down in later edits (I vaguely remember seeing it on VHS in some form and it was edited at that point) but that still doesn't really explain why it isn't on D+. Wouldn't be the first time they had to deal with something like that where they already nuked something out of existence way before the streaming era. (i.e. the Jewish costume in 3 Little Pigs or the centaur servant in Fantasia)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

mystes posted:

Those aren't unreleased shows, right? That's probably not a "write off"; they're probably just in the process of licensing them to another service.

Or like they just hate cartoons so much they aren't even pretending it's about "write offs" anymore

Yeah I don't think that really qualifies as a "write off" it's just the other crappy thing where something leaves a streaming service because they don't want to pay anyone.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Peter Pan is the original harem anime

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

SCheeseman posted:

The thing I remember most about Toy Story 4 is that the CGI looked ridiculously good, to the point it barely looked like a cartoon most of the time, which was actually a bit distracting.

Yeah it was legit too realistic honestly. It contributed to the overall vibe of just pushing that existential crisis as far as it could possibly go to the point of absurdity.

Unfortunately, as we all know, they aren't going to stop making these until one of them is truly a stinker. They never have the good sense to stop before getting to that point. (I mean, they did, years ago, but that's out the window now.)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The worst thing about Soul is that it's so easy to compare to Coco, and Coco definitely wins that fight. It almost felt like they were compelled to add a bunch of complicated Pixar Stuff (or I should probably call it Pete Docter Stuff) just to make it different. I still think it's better than Inside Out though, so that's not bad.

Unrelated, but the 28-minute Bluey finale was absolutely fantastic. They managed to work in a lot of blink-and-miss-it moments of fan service and tying up loose ends, but certainly never lost sight of the central drama of the episode, which kept me guessing until the very end.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

The_Doctor posted:

Season finale or series finale? :ohdear:

We'll see.*

* No one knows. Seems to belong to that nebulous "just in case we don't do another one, let's do everything we've wanted to do" category.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
And sometimes the opposite happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp_WCl3Ah_A&t=67s

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's hardly surprising for a company as famously risk-averse as Disney. They find something that works, they're gonna milk it until it's a desiccated corpse.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
YOU DON'T

GET TO BE

LION KING

WITHOUT MAKING

A FEW

LION ENEMIES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Sword in the Stone feels like it's supposed to be a pure comedy, but it's not nearly funny enough most of the time.