Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

There's a new Kung-fu Panda coming out?!?! Is it going to be animated in the way the recent DreamWorks movies have been? Because if so it is going to look loving amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I just think about KFP2 and the flashback scenes both at the beginning and middle and, while those looked amazing in 2011, they would look immaculate today with that brushstroke look. I recall finding it slightly distracting when watching Puss in Boots, but I figure Kung-fu Panda and it would fit like a glove.

All that to say that's a little disappointing that it isn't the case, but we're getting another Kung-fu Panda and Ian McShane is back!!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

From what I've heard from theatre people where I live (we've been trying to put it on for a couple of years) the reason it hasn't made it to Broadway is because it would be one of the most expensive productions of the modern era. The ensemble would be huge (you need a full choir in addition to all the on-stage actors) and since it's Broadway, those people are getting paid a lot more than in the smaller theatres. The orchestra needs are more specialized.

I think Disney doesn't want to admit that it would be too expensive, even though it would probably be a hit. But I also get a feeling that current Disney wouldn't want something like this to get so much publicity in that way. Hunchback the musical is a lot darker than the film, and that's too big a risk for what Disney is like these days

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

The productions I've seen have all been "small" in comparison to a Broadway stage, but they all had sets, costumes, and people that were very into the whole thing. All I was saying is that the reasons it hasn't made it to that size of stage are, honestly, all late-stage capitalism reasons, i.e., a whole load of bullshit on the part of Disney

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I love the song they sing when they're dancing. It really highlights how little she cared about the reason for the ball. Hell, she doesn't clue in to who she was dancing with until "the Prince" is invoked by her steps

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Oh poo poo Murderdrones kept going? A buddy showed me the...pilot? back in November, and my thoughts were "cool, maybe that one will have a future, unlike a lot of other pilots and proof-of-concepts that channel has done"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I feel the one thing that makes the Disney adaptation feel really weird (just the one thing?) is how Tinkerbell is saved. What exactly does Peter do? He says how important she is and then we cut back to the ship and then Hook reaffirms the ultimatum of sign up or walk the plank. I think every other adaptation has some form of the clapping from the stage play. Heck, Barrie's novelization includes it.

I don't know how exactly you'd fix it, since there are some other things in the film that could use some fixing as well. But considering that they managed it in every non-stage version since, what happened that Disney decided it wasn't necessary?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Wow, they sure went to a lot of trouble to not give away what the Enterprise-E was going to look like, despite the fact that most of the audience saw the -D get trashed at the end of the previous film

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

ungulateman posted:

people make the LLM comparison a lot (not to be confused with the LMM comparison) but it's actually worse: they got pop song writers and focus tested the music into oblivion trying to get chart toppers, instead of writing musical music, for their musical movie

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case even for their live action remakes. I think of the weird poo poo that you got in Beauty and the Beast and say to myself "Menken doesn't usually miss, so what the gently caress happened here?" and corporate shenanigans makes a lot of sense

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

The real test will be when James Cameron finally has an underperforming film (Dark Fate doesn't count)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

The MSJ posted:

Egyptian gods suddenly appearing in a Greek story wouldn't even be weird. There's people in both civilisations who worshipped each other's gods.

Everyone's cool when you have a pantheon, heck, sometimes you even have to play nice to those silly monotheists
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oomJG8uVLMs

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Outside of Merlin, my favourite part of Sword is the wolf. The poor guy just wants food and he keeps getting thwarted every time. Of course, it peaks early with Merlin and Wart scaling a hill, then going back down and the reaction from the wolf for all his wasted effort is just :kiss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

doomrider7 posted:

Avatar the Last Airbender(both versions)

wait, are you referring to the live-action versions (i.e. the Shyamalan movie) or do you mean that Mike and Bryan somehow grew disdain for their own creation as the years went on?