Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

YggiDee posted:

It uses almost all the songs from the animated version, A Guy Like You is excluded but I think they have all the rest. And some more. It's excellent.

What kind of slime tutorial is this :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

TwoPair posted:

I don't know what you're talking about, I can't wait for whatever James Marsden's subplot in Sonic 3 will be :v:

I'd be surprised if they don't pull an Ugly Sonic on that guy and switch in a double with CGI, given the press he's getting recently with regards to Brian Peck.

Unless that's :thejoke:

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I just got done watching KFP4 and it's noticeably weaker than the other three.

There's an argument to be made that the overhype vs actual substance WRT the Chameleon and her abilities, especially in her introduction scene, is deliberate given the theme of manipulation and posturing vs concrete skill, but it still wasn't executed in an engaging way. Compare the Chameleon's introduction scene with say, this - she still could've been so much more dangerous. I also dislike that the first female villain of the series isn't allowed to be physically on par with the male ones, with an incredibly flimsy justification at that.

But, since they went that direction, her choosing to take the 'easier' way out and use her powers to shortcut past actual kung fu training and discipline without truly learning the lessons about it and about herself would be a stronger story - I'm thinking specifically of the scene where she rushes opening the spirit realm. It reminded me of the scene with Oogway's candles from the first and I was fully expecting her ditching the ritual aspect of waiting for the full moon to have some kind of consequence later on, but no. I almost wonder if that actually was the intent originally and her simply being rejected (with the possibility that she's bullshitting that too) was a last-minute replacement. It feels so frustratingly close to the point, but from entirely the wrong starting point. Also found it odd she never found Oogway in there.

Zhen is completely charmless until the reveal and even then her bond with Po is still kinda weak - she's far too smug for far too long, not enough moments of relaxing her guard around Po for me to buy that she started to genuinely like him or felt bad about turning on him. Again, could be deliberate given it's a fake persona, but the execution was still poor to me. They also could've gone way harder with the parallels between Zhen, Han and the Chameleon with Po, his dads and Shifu. I liked Awkwafina's performance as Sisu in Raya so I don't dislike it here, but she was noticeably much stronger in the second half than the first to me. Sisu was a very sincere, earnest character and that's definitely one of Awkwafina's strengths, but sincerity is something this movie seems kind of scared of and she suffers the most from it as a result.

Tai Lung being relegated to the peanut gallery for most of his scenes and not having anything to do with Shifu sucks (I feel like them having not the chance to speak again is key to his continuing failure to find inner peace, even if that's mostly used for gags), but I don't inherently hate the concept of Tai Lung accepting Po's strength without needing yet another beatdown. He's been beaten by Po himself directly, and beaten again by proxy with the stolen chi through Kai. He's had enough time to get over it. I almost feel like it'd have been stronger if he didn't speak until his shock endorsement of Po right at the end, paralleling his first appearance where he didn't speak until after he escaped from the prison.

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 12, 2024

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
And sometimes you get the reverse where the trailer's funnier than what they actually used, like in one of the second POTC movie's trailers. Will refuses to set sail without Jack, but then sees Jack being chased by an angry mob and in the trailer yells 'Never mind let's go!' in the same tone as his insistence they don't leave without him, which was apparently from an outtake. In the movie, he has the much more timid line read '... Time to go.' which was way less funny.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It does seem like a lot of Foodfight was the director being Dunning-Kruger as hell and having no one to talk back to him, and thus loving up basic poo poo in rear end-backwards ways every step of the way.

Oddly enough the CATS movie comes to mind too, the director of a CG musical turning out to not know nor care to know anything about CG or musicals, how they're made or why people like them, and that's why the end result is so bizarre and focused on the wrong things even as the performers are trying their best, and it's the dancers who actually get to sing their songs well.

That explains why Skimbleshanks (the railway cat (the cat of the railway train)) had the best song in the movie by far.